[3 / an / cgl / diy / gd / i / n / out / p / po / qst / s4s / t / trv / vip / vm / vmg / w / wg / wsr / ] [Settings]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Mitsuba Archive

>Vengeance! Against the humans! Against civilization! Mother nature demands it!

You are a beastly creature, neither human nor animal but something in between. That which stalks the wilds, and mothers warn their children of for good behavior lest they be snatched away at night. Some may ponder the origin of your kind, but that concerns you little. You are what you are, and you accept and embrace your nature. And that is, to reject modernity (of these fantasy medieval times), to return to the wild, and to punish the humans for their rejection and destruction of nature.

Though you are but a single goat beastfolk, a capricorn, you won't let that stop you. By whatever means necessary, you'll see that the humans pay for their betrayal of nature, either on your own or finding others of your kind.

But first, how developed are you? What your background was, which will extend to others around you.

>Civil - Though still a beast at heart, you have experience with humans and society, and can deal with them better. As well, you are able to understand concepts of civilization like trade, development, and equipment. Symbiosis with humans, although difficult, is possible.
>Untamed - The typical beastfolk, who live outside civilization to form primitive societies of their own. Although humans are the enemy, you understand they have their value at times, and you can benefit from the stolen fruits of civilization. Parasitism, is your relationship to humans.
>Wild - Rah roo! Feral beyond even other beastfolk, you are truly savage. However you are closer to nature and the old ways, more independent, and perfectly able to thrive well in the wild. Predation is your way with civilization, and humans are your prey.
>>
File: goat.gif (3961 KB, 382x483)
3961 KB
3961 KB .gif
>A spiritual sequel to a previous quest some months back. The general sentiment is the same, a wild uprising against civilization, and some things will have carried over. But overall this is a distinct quest, and participation or knowledge of the previous quest is not required or necessary.

Simply put, you are a beastfolk and your goal is to overthrow civilization however you can! Either individually or as a group which you may form.

Link to the previous threads for anyone interested;

https://pastebin.com/3zw26FED
>>
>>4862389
>Civil - Though still a beast at heart, you have experience with humans and society, and can deal with them better. As well, you are able to understand concepts of civilization like trade, development, and equipment. Symbiosis with humans, although difficult, is possible.

Lets do something new.
>>
>>4862389
yeah, a little twist from last time sounds great
>>
>>4862415
>>4862403
Just to clarify, Civil is actually closest to how things were the previous incarnation of the quest, but you certainly can try to play it differently!
>>
>>4862389
>Wild - Rah roo! Feral beyond even other beastfolk, you are truly savage. However you are closer to nature and the old ways, more independent, and perfectly able to thrive well in the wild. Predation is your way with civilization, and humans are your prey.
NO MERCY FOR MAN, NO SALVATION FOR HIS KEN
>>
>>4862389

I'm overjoyed that you're back but I'm going to miss Khora badly. It felt like this quest had so much momentum when it was last running and It makes me sad that we are starting all over again. But having a Beastfolk quest reboot is better than not having it at all I suppose.
>>
>>4862473
Don't worry, you're still everyone's favorite goat for starters. Just the world is different this time around.

Well, and of course depending what background you choose as per the OP choice.
>>
>>4862389
>>
>>4862394
Gif is from what, QM?
>>
>>4862488
I know, but I mean I feel kind of sad that we're starting with a blank slate again. We had so many good projects going. Our mutagen wine schemes were going to be great. But I'm sure new schemes will present themselves in time.
>>
>>4862389
>>Wild - Rah roo! Feral beyond even other beastfolk, you are truly savage. However you are closer to nature and the old ways, more independent, and perfectly able to thrive well in the wild. Predation is your way with civilization, and humans are your prey.

Let's shake things up for once.
>>
>>4862498
I just found it posted on /v/, I think a mod for Darkest Dungeon.
>>
Hey all, going to step out for a little bit, give others a chance to vote or possibly change vote if anyone cares to discuss it.

And when I return, we'll continue based on the vote.
>>
File: 1597116442688.png (56 KB, 208x257)
56 KB
56 KB .png
>>4862529
Hey all, back now but it's later than I expected. Probably can't get in much tonight, but we got off to a start at least, and can continue tomorrow for a longer time, starting earlier too.

Thanks all for playing, and we'll see what we can get up to tomorrow.
>>
Wild
>>
>>4862389
>Civil
>>
>BEASTMAN quest
>choose to be civilized
>>
>>4862389
>>
"You are alone human - there is only darkness for you, and destruction for your people"
>>
>>4862389
>>Civil - Though still a beast at heart, you have experience with humans and society, and can deal with them better. As well, you are able to understand concepts of civilization like trade, development, and equipment. Symbiosis with humans, although difficult, is possible.
>>
Hey all, will be resuming in awhile now, just a heads up. Last chance for votes!
>>
>>4862389
>>
File: defeated enemy.png (531 KB, 768x432)
531 KB
531 KB .png
>>4863382
>>4863181
>>4863163
>>4862494
>>4862473
>>4862415
>>4862403
>Civil

>>4862470
>>4862502
>>4863023
>Wild

You are Khora, a mountain capricorn. Large and long horns, and thick shaggy fur that obscures a robust and powerful humanoid body. Though you may not have as close a bond to nature or humanity as other beastfolk, you are as tough and surviving as they come. This may suit you well as you turn your animosity towards the humans and their precious civilization! For most of your life you tried living as peacefully as you could with them but after the local lord hunted down and killed your family, you now only desire revenge. For both yourself, and for mother nature that the humans have rejected, unrepentant.

So it was in fear and sadness you fled from your home (and preferred terrain) in the mountains, and for a time dwelled in the forested lowlands. There you grew accustomed to conflict with the humans, and although the conditions were harsh, you came to thrive and even prevail against civilization there. Gathering others to your cause, entire human settlements were destroyed and a formidable little herd was created to ransack the region. As gratifying as that all was though, in time you felt it was merely a distraction from your core motivation; revenge against the man who destroyed your life. And so you've left the lowlands conflict in the capable hands of your followers, and returned to your home region in the mountains.

An outlier among your kind, you are Civil, at least as far as beastfolk go. By no means are you a fan of civilization but you are familiar with it, and know the values of it where undeniable. You have your father figure to thank for that you suppose, as much as you have your mother to thank for your Wild side. But supposing you could strip the humanity out of civilization, then you can't imagine having much problem with the concept... either way, having ventured deep into hostile territory, you'll take any help or advantage you can get. If that means turning the knowledge of the humans against them, then so be it.

Fortunately you are not as alone, and your past efforts will serve as a starting benefit now that you've returned to the mountains. What have you brought with you, to aid in your revenge against civilization?

>A follower; an ally from your lowland struggles, either a fellow beastfolk or a powerful human sympathizer.
>An item; a magical object that served you well, either a weapon or a useful treasure.
>A blessing; the favor of your old gods, either for war or harmony.
>Nothing! You need no help! Though... you might get a benefit for where you start, location-wise.
>[Write-in.] Something else you brought, from your past...
>>
>>4863991
>>[Write-in.] Something else you brought, from your past...
some tools; we always kept our hands buisy by nailing planks, carving stones and the like, even managed to make a trinket for our parents
>>
>>4863991
>An item; a magical object that served you well, either a weapon or a useful treasure.
A Mantle that is always changing size. It helps us hide in any thin shadow
>>
>>4864010

Supporting this.
>>
I'm just new here and I don't know anything about the previous Quest, but for what I've read it's interesting. So i'm going to support >>4864010
>>
File: equipment brought.png (333 KB, 500x354)
333 KB
333 KB .png
>>4864161
That's fine, all are welcome and you don't really need to know anything to participate here. Simply that humans have wronged you and nature, and it's time for some beastly revenge!

>>4864161
>>4864067
>>4864041
>>4864010
Craftsmanship is the domain of humans, but even beastfolk are capable of rudimentary construction. You don't all just live in caves after all! And in your case, more civil than most, you have some experience with tools and handiwork. Sawing and nailing planks, carving stones and the like, even trinkets, you always keep your hands busy and are capable of both simple craft works and basic construction.

Though, as always it would take time and materials, both of which you have in short supply out here in the mountainous highlands. You're in your natural environment yes, but it's a pretty rugged and sparse environment to begin with. Survival for you is one thing but building things for yourself or others... will take time and preparations. For now, getting settled in is probably your best bet.

"Some way to go..."

Hefting your bag of tools and supplies, you trek the rocky and grassy slopes trying your best to avoid notice. In this respect, being Civil is somewhat of a disadvantage, because wearing clothes is a dead giveaway. Whereas if you were the feral sort of beastmen, if need be you could get low and humans might mistake you for an animal. Still, thus far you've generally kept out of anyone's way and have ventured quite far into the highlands.

Much farther than you'd have expected in fact, considering you're venturing into the Duke's own domain. Lord Wagner, the noble governing this southern region of the "country" as the humans call it, as you know he controls things quite closely and already you've seen a local patrol now and then. But you are in your element in these mountains, and no one knows you're coming yet. Good luck to any humans that think they can get the better of you on your home turf, when you're expecting it.

Ah, but that's how things are for the moment. The sound of thunder and clouds rolling down the mountains, is a familiar indicator that you ought to seek shelter, unless you enjoy the wet and the cold. You could seek a natural shelter, so long as it's away from humans. Otherwise there's the occasional ruin you've passed by, better than nothing... else if you were daring enough you could try something closer, or even among the humans. Depending on how sneaky you are, of course.

>What do?
>>
>>4864207
>Natural shelter

Perhaps once the rain is over we could investigate the ruins. But the last thing I think we should do is to get inside a ruin in which there can be danger.
>>
>>4864207
Yeah! I also want to find natural shelter. It will be great if we go past our civil
>>
>>4864207
>we do in fact enjoy the wet and the cold
>>
File: shelter.png (633 KB, 640x480)
633 KB
633 KB .png
>>4864285
>>4864268
>>4864239
Although you are perfectly able to withstand the wet and cold, and have done so many times in your life, some proper shelter from which to enact your schemes would be nice. Plus, being away from humans is always a benefit. And so you wander for the remaining hours of daylight, till light rains begin to fall and you won't be able to search any further.

Looks like... someone has been here before... you think to yourself, as you cautiously traipse into the cave to get out of the rain. Although the place was never inhabited, you can see signs of temporary dwelling. If you had to guess, shepherds up this high or even hunters seeking shelter overnight. Though, your intentions are more longterm.

So you begin to settle into the place, trying to find what comfort you can with the benefit of the supplies you've brought. Plenty of clothes, bedding and other materials that were raided from unfortunate humans back in the forested regions. But with your bag of tools set to the side, that's not all you've got, as you wonder whether or not to get a fire going and check over your belongings.

Come tomorrow you can really set about your plans, now that you're back in your home region again and all the closer to Lord Wagner. Probably survey the landscape from where you are, combined with what you remember of the area. On the other hand, now that you have some shelter, a place to retreat to... you could try and find some humans to harass. If only to get more supplies, so you're not eating rations for the night, maybe steal a sheep for yourself. Not to mention familiarize yourself with the locals.

Maybe it's not worth the risk, but something to consider for your first night "home" again.

>What do?
>>
>>4864447
>Set up a small shrine to Mascam and Feman
Let's make it a little more like a real home. We are gaot after all, a cave like this is fine realestate for someone like us.
>>
>>4864447
Harass humans, acquire sheep/food. We kill humies.
>>
>>4864447
Let's explore the ruins we saw before.

In case there's a tie, then I change my vote to >>4864457
>>
>>4864457
same, the dead deserve some form of grave even if it is away from their actuall bodies
>>
File: rainy night.png (442 KB, 650x434)
442 KB
442 KB .png
>>4864457
>>4864631
>>4864647
>>4864687
Harassing the humans seems like getting off on the right hoof, or exploring one of the nearby ruins as a better means of shelter than a cave. And certainly you know of better caves than this one, across the mountain range to where you called home is a pretty extensive cave network you remember from your youth. But given that it is dark and you've traveled a long way, you prefer to settle in for the night and focus on everything tomorrow with renewed vigor.

Besides, it's not like you have nothing to do, as you get a fire going and unpack some of your things. While munching on some crude "rations" and drying your clothes and fur by the fire, you check over your belongings and recall memories of the last two winters. Of friends made and enemies faced, in this ongoing conflict against civilization.

"Dhorgo, Ilsa... Henry..."

It wasn't easy, abandoning those bonds you made in order to come out here alone. But you needed someone to keep up the good fight in the lowlands, and so far your strategy has proven effective; of instigating conflict on your own to begin with. More importantly though this is a personal matter for you, your vendetta against Wagner, and you didn't want to go dragging others into it. Not yet at least.

Besides, you're never truly alone, as you unpack a crude double-sided icon before the flames. Representation of the twin gods of beastfolk kind, the divine masculine and the divine feminine, aptly named Mascam and Feman. Though some may doubt the influence of gods in general, you owe yours much and know their presence. Wherever you go, you give tribute to them and this cave should be no different, even if it's only a temporary dwelling...

---
>>
File: warmth.png (394 KB, 384x512)
394 KB
394 KB .png
---

"Hello?! Hello in there!"

"We are unarmed! We only seek shelter!"

Less alone than you thought, it seems. Must have been another hour or so, when you were fully dry and settled in, halfway asleep already. But the startling interruption of voices approaching from outside, human voices. Must be the fire, seen from outside the cave. Having lived most your life in these mountains, normally you wouldn't risk a fire in such a visible way, and it didn't seem like a risk with the heavy rains outside. But just your luck, did some wayward humans happen to be in the area and notice. Probably on their way down the mountain back to the town below, but what were they doing up here in the first place?

Hells with it!

You scramble to get out of sight before you're noticed, though that seems a bit late with the fire. But the cave isn't much more than a rocky overhang anyway, so there's little in the way of cover. You are able to find a recess among the rocks which hides you from sight, unless the humans were to search the cave thoroughly. But quietly peering from the shadows, you see it's just a pair of young men who nervously enter into the cave. Soaked through from the rain, they're clearly glad for the shelter but appear cautious about who else might be here.

"...hello? Who is here?"

"Well they must be, look at these... things around."

Out of the rain now, the fire is their next focus but they can't help themselves at prodding about and answering their curiosity. More though, just trying to understand the situation they've stumbled upon rather than a desire to steal from you. One of them in fact, is dressed... a "monk" you think the humans call them? Religious adherents who live differently from other humans. The other fellow looks as common as the rest of the humans though, and doesn't have the same reservations about borderline theft.

Your instinct is violence of course, but you wonder if there may be another way. Like scaring them off, or perhaps even attempting to deal with them? You at least were able to grab your clothes before you hid, so you could try to appear more presentable than just a feral goatwoman. You know humans to be fearful and hostile towards your beastly kind however, but then you are more civil than the rest of your kin...

>What do?
>>
>>4865008
"FIRST thing stealing is wrong SECOND thing this cave is mine and THIRD thing tell me why i shoudn't do to you what your kind did to my family a short while ago"
>>
>>4865008
>RAM them with your goat horns
>>
>>4865077
+1
>>
>>4865077
>>4865078
damn, i'd say we'd be a bit more civilised than a grunt at the beck and call of a baron
>>
>>4865008
Lesbian sex.
>>
>>4865104
>RAM you with my goat horns
>>
>>4865008
Ask them what they have to offer.
>>
>>4865027
>>4865268
>Try to talk

>>4865077
>>4865078
>Violence

>>4865145
>???

Seems like a tie between the civil approach and the violent one. I'll give it a chance for anyone else to vote or change, else if need be then the civil approach will win because of your background.
>>
>>4865145
>1
what the fuck, man, firstly we are a goatMAN not a goatwoman and secondly that's disgusting
>>
>>4865302
Sex!
>>
>>4865314
>He doesn't know
Did you even read the archived threads?

>>4865348
It's pointless to fuck now. That will come when we have enough subjects under our command to get some decent Feman rituals going. Until such time where such actions can be properly organized to garner favor from the gods there's no reason to do it.

It's interesting that you decided to do a 2 year time skip soft reboot rather than a full reboot. I wonder how the son we left with the witches is doing these days. I suppose that will be a question for later.
>>
>>4865314
Well actually...

>>4865381
Reading the prior quest threads is not required for this quest.

Since the majority vote was for Civil background, which is what it had been in the previous quest as well, it made more sense for a continuation/soft reboot rather than a restart.
>>
>>4865381
actually, fair point, my bad i did not know that
>>
Also just a heads up, I've got to head out for a few hours, but we'll resume as normal when I return. In the meantime you can settle on how to deal with this pesky pair of humans, and what to do after.
>>
>>4865381
We can try to have a talk, gather info, if anything goes wrong we can overpower them.I hope
>>
>>4865381
Also is there a way to transform a human into a beastmen?
>>
>>4865580
But anon, what if we overpower them FIRST and ask questions later? RAMMING SPEED
>>
>>4865678
Them they will know we are up to something and information that comes from torture isint very reliable.
>>
Ok, back now. Will be resuming in a little while.
>>
>>4865669
Not into true beastmen but we can turn them into mutants. We had gotten our hands on some mutagenic berries in the past incarnation of this quest and there was a corruption perk in the blood boons list that let us do some mutating as well.
>>
File: a noble end.jpg (69 KB, 720x1016)
69 KB
69 KB .jpg
>>4865669
As far as you know, the most a human can change, is into a halfbreed; the typical satyrs and nymphs and other creatures of legend. A halfway between human and beast, but not a true beastfolk. However, these mutant halfbreeds are bound to be amicable towards beastfolk, since humans would naturally reject them.

>>4865678
>>4865580
>>4865302
It seems like a civil approach will be... at least your first effort towards these pests.

And you're not at such a severe disadvantage as other beastfolk are, or even you yourself would be just some years ago. For awhile though, you've been learning how to pass as human. Not under any scrutiny of course but enough to avoid hostility from those furless bastards. That, and you have your natural favor of Femn which improves your chances of interacting with others, human or beast alike.

>Make a roll, 1d100+10 for your effort to try and interact with these humans.
>>
Rolled 62 + 10 (1d100 + 10)

>>4865809
We need a final solution for the human problem
>>
Rolled 81 + 10 (1d100 + 10)

We got the civilized background so might as well try to obtain information about the baron in a non threatening way first, maybe the monk can tell us shit about the enemy's weakness. If that doesn't work we can go for more... physical approach
>>
>>4865879
there's always the dr facilier approach
Come, shake my hand lil' boy, won't you shake a poor beasrman's hand?
hand is shaken
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
ARE YOU REAAAAAAADY?
transformation begins
>>
Rolled 28 + 10 (1d100 + 10)

>>4865809

>>4865879
We were working on that in the last incarnation of the quest. We had already had started mutating people using the corruption boon to mutate large numbers of people with blood communions and we had some mutagen fruit growing. It was working out pretty well.
>>
>>4866101
>>4865912
>>4865879
>91

Without first resorting to violence, you want to see if you can solve the problem peacefully. Well, you don't want that, you want to bash their heads in but that could cause you trouble down the road. So the more civil approach it is, as you quickly get dressed and bundle yourself up as best you can. Having had a little practice for some months prior to this, you've slowly gotten better at passing as human.

At least as much as you can, since there will always be some difficulties you can't overcome; mostly your horns and goat-head, as well as your voice.

"You come to my cave and steal my thing?!"

"-aah!"

"-oh, someone is here!"

Emerging from the shadows and surely looking quite strange, you confront the trespassers, who are alarmed at your emergence. Staggering to their feet away from the fire, they try to figure if there's danger or they should leave. As far as you can tell though, for as strange and ominous as you may appear to them, they don't immediately figure you to be a beastfolk. Otherwise, they would flee and not look back.

"F-Forgive us, we merely sought shelter..."

"We're on our way up the mountain, the storm started and we saw the fire..."

Since you didn't just rush them with weapons drawn, they try to excuse themselves at least. But they are using words with you, which was your goal. As much as it angers you to resort to this...

"...sit, share. You stay."

Your offer is not well received, you can see the misgivings in their ugly human faces. You make an effort of it though and take a seat by the fire opposite them, biting your tongue at the extreme reluctance to offer some of your food with them. Nervously, the two men at least stop backing away towards the entrance. An exchanged look, some mumbled words, as they weigh their options. Though the rain pouring outside the cave is probably the biggest factor.

"...who are you? What are you doing up here I mean, do you have a name?"

Stupid human formalities, but it is the response you sought, as the two men slowly approach to sit by the fire once more. As much as it turns your stomach to interact with them, you can't help feel some triumph. You could have smashed their skulls with your horns or hooves and gotten what you wanted, but if you could also get what you want this way... more options is always a good thing!

In any case the two men remain cautious, suspicious, and ready to flee. But they feign small talk, so it's your choice for what you'd like to converse with them. No need for torture if they give you information willingly, just a question of what you want to know. About them, the area, what's going on in these parts, or something else.

Why, if they are helpful enough, you might even offer them some tainted mutagenic wine!

>What do?
>>
>>4866254
You are a traveller that wants to see the word ( that should explain why you are in cave whit provisions) that was assalted by bandits but maneged to flee and thought they were whit said bandits. People used to call you Pilgrim and you took it as a nickname.
>>
>>4866376
+1
>>
>>4866254
>Ask them about thier journeys. Perhaps the reasons for thier vagrancy could give you a shared adversary.

Oh shit the wine plan actually went through! How many bottles do we have and do we have seeds from the first harvest left over to plant a new grove of those berries? Man I'm loving the ways this ties back to the original. It feels like even though we don't have any followers or blessings right now some progress was made during the timeskip that we can make use of. This is definitely one of the more inventive ways of rebooting a quest that I've seen. Since the wine scheme worked out well enough for Khora to consider randomly offering it that probably means are former followers are very beast looking right now. I wonder what it did to Henry or Ilsa?
>>
>>4866654
Currently you have two bottles, but the seeds are pointless because they won't grow at this climate or altitude. Although you've parted ways with your followers, contact with them is possible so whatever you may need (wine included), you can periodically obtain.

>>4866654
>>4866396
>>4866376
Honesty will get you nowhere here, humans in the region have steadily become more wary and hostile towards beastfolk ever since your uprising started sacking villages. Part of why you returned home alone to begin with, as any number of your kind would be that much easier to notice and warrant that much more a response.

"Name... Pilgrim, people call. Travel land... many bandit attack, come here."

"Bandits?! In these parts? Well, that's a surprise to me. I'll have to tell the lord mayor... I'm Ben, and this is Elias by the way." the common fellow takes food offered hungrily, and soon makes himself comfortable by the fire.

"...it must be the attention diverted to the beastly threat to the north. You know the Duke has his hostility to their kind, I cannot say he is wrong for it." the monk by contrast takes your food to be polite but doesn't eat anything, and you notice his enduring suspicion... he never takes his eyes off you.

By the sound of things, Wagner keeps things very orderly in his personal domain, these mountains. Although the bandits are a lie, it sounds like it's not such a stretch of the imagination with an apparent focus that has been taken against your followers in the lowlands. Ironic to be sitting here conversing with these humans about such things.

"Where you are from? You travel here?"

"Well I live down the way, you can't have missed the town. My friend is from the monastery though, up the mountain! This is our weekly... well more than weekly, but our trip for goods the monks need." Ben indicates to the several heavy bags the men had both been carrying on their backs, set down behind them. "Ah but these rains, been putting us off already too long! You... don't mind us to spend the night here? We'll be gone first light, rain or no."

The monastery, is that what the humans call it? These mountains are your home, so you are aware of most of the features of the landscape. You'd always thought the abode of the monks was some fortification however, rather than a religious structure. Interesting detail to learn, but not as interesting as those bags of goods the men brought. You'd love to take them for yourself, if possible!
>>
File: charging horns.png (281 KB, 354x360)
281 KB
281 KB .png
The chance though may not be possible, as the monk remains on edge. You thought it nervousness at first but he clearly remains suspicious and keeps leaning to his friend for secretive communication.

"-horns? What horns?" Ben remarks with a laugh. "Friend Pilgrim, you are... a woman, yes?"

"...yes."

"See then Elias? Nothing to fear! I know you have no sisters at the monastery, but our fair counterparts are not demons! Horns and hooves, the thought!"

That must be it then, the truth. As best as you tried, you did not think your disguise was that good; sufficient at a distance to appear as a stranger, but nowhere near sufficient to interact with someone personally. So it came as a surprise at first for how well you were received by these men, and surely it must be the doing of Femn, your goddess of harmony. Otherwise this human contact would never be possible.

But overtime it's become clear to you the more you interact with these men, that they are... perceiving two different things of you. To Ben you probably appear as a perfectly normal human woman, but to Elias... it seems like your disguise is slipping, or perhaps never was to begin with. You wonder why but the answer quickly becomes apparent to you, in the difference of faith. A monk, a holy man, it's only natural that his faith would clash with yours and therefore Femn's beguiling influence has little power over him if any. Perhaps even his own deity defending the man.

You wonder what to do, since the longer things last the more likely the monk is to flee or resort to something unpleasant. However you can't expect his tricked friend to just sit by and permit you to do whatever you want. Hostility against one is hostility against both.

>What do?
>>
>>4866888
give hime the stink eye and pretend to get some z's if anyone tries anything punch them in the nose
>>
>>4866888
Ask for the location of important places like the dukes house, he may cacht on so be prepared to bonk the monk in the head.
>>
>>4866888
We should say something like "That I let you two get inside the cave is more that I'd normally offer to strangers. Rest and eat whatever meal do you have, and once you feel ready to continue, leave"
>>
>>4867561
Maybe offer them a bit of wine?
>>
>>4868000
A lil' sip? I don't see why not, but I would like it if the monk was the one taking the sip, because, you know... It would be interesting to see how his God's magic help him not turning in a mutant or it does. But i'm also worried that just by tasting it discover what it is and what we are.
>>
>>4866888
Now is the time! RAM THEM
>>
>>4868069
Does the transformation takes time or is it instant horns and hooves? Also is it reversible?
>>
>>4868144
It depends on various factors but it's always going to take time, just a matter of how long. If it's reversible you don't know how.
>>
File: new day in the valley.png (1046 KB, 861x498)
1046 KB
1046 KB .png
>>4866919
>>4866971
>>4867561
>>4868000
>>4868069
>>4868119
How very much you'd like to ram them, and just end their wretched lives, claiming the spoils for yourself. But what's the point of acting civil if you won't get any benefit from it?

So in the shelter of the cave by the light of the fire, you play nice with these men. Nice enough at least, you're worried about your disguise so you don't extend yourself more than you have to. But a question here, a prompt of conversation there, plus a splash of wine and they do the work for you! The wine itself is a potential danger, but just a drink isn't enough to change them much at all.

"Well, this is a bit of a luxury for strangers! I shan't forget it!"

"Very generous of you, bless you."

"Take, drink. Talk home. When ready to-morrow, leave."

And so as much as nervous strangers can, a somewhat pleasant night is had, at least by your guests. Ever present just beneath the surface is your desire to see their guts spilled and their heads crushed, but you can clench your jaw and your fists and stow your beastly rage for just one night. It helps that your effort turns out to be worthwhile, as the two men (mostly Ben) talks at drunken length of the region. Much of it you already know but the details of the humans and their settlements is news to you, especially information about Lord Wager.

Like specifically, where he lives. Ah, but that you can focus on later. Eventually things wind down after everyone's had their fill, and the best sleep you can try to get in a weathered cave is the new goal. Of course you're used to sleeping on the dirt in the wild so this is just fine for you, but for the two men... well it's better than outside!

---

Not that you needed it, but you get a pretty good night's rest. Interrupted only once, as Ben made a move on you. What you thought would have warranted a violent response, but curiously he only took your hand to examine your old silver ring. Although wide awake, you feigned sleep for the chance to break his wrist but fortunately for him he didn't try to steal anything, just examine it seemed.

Beyond that, it was their packing up and preparing to depart which finally woke you, in the mid-morning to a much lighter rain outside. Seems like the two men plan to just leave you in peace, unaware that you've woken.

"Come, let's be rid of this place."

"You worry too much, she's a strange one sure, but a good host."

The pair whisper among themselves, and giving some explanation to why the monk sat awake watching you all night, not sleeping a wink and sitting by the cave entrance to boot. In any case, your civil effort seems to have worked, and they will leave without trouble.

But also, leave with their plenty of goods, and possibly word of an ominous stranger come to these parts...

>What do?
>>
>>4868197
So we got an OK amount of information out of this interaction and we had a little chance of experimentation regarding our divine disguise versus holy people... I think our chances are
1.- We kill them right now and the parties involved will send a search party
2.- We let them go and the monastery will send a hunting party.

I think we gotta tie loose ends.

>RAM
>>
>>4868255
they leave and we make traps so that we can eazely kill and loot any and all hunting perties they send
>>
>>4868416
We could also look for a better shelter. Since apparently this cave is very exposed.
>>
>>4868416
>>4868255
Seems like a tie between either let them go or turn hostile.

>>4868422
Or you could seek proper shelter. Either a place you're familiar with from your past, or a new location in this mountain range. Even if it's just another cave, since you know better than this.
>>
>>4869177
Let's let them leave but set a trap if anyone comes aftee us. Let's pile up a shit load of big rocks futher up and push them down when they arrive.
>>
>>4869846
Support. If that doesn't kill them, surely will have a bad time whatever ends up trapped inside that cave
>>
File: home mountains.png (1062 KB, 925x495)
1062 KB
1062 KB .png
>>4869898
>>4869846
>>4868422
>>4868416
>>4868255
Between your civil background and your choice of equipment, making and setting traps is a forte of yours! It'll take time of course, but you're fully able to leave some nasty surprises for anyone who should come here looking for you.

So you let the two men leave, getting up shortly after to watch them go. An early meal of rations while you saw and hammer away, and give the rains a chance to subside more, and by midday you've trapped the cave and are ready to depart! Not a bad effort by any measure, as you pack up the rest of your belongings to hoist on your back and trod out of the cave and out into the range once more.

So, he's down there then, is he?

From the grassy outside of the small cave, you peer down from the highlands at the valley before you, and up to the mountains beyond. The most important feature which runs through the mountain range here is the Rhane river, it's source in the highlands but running down through the length of the valley, and giving rise to forests of the lower half of the valley. Snaking past the foot of the great Matterhal mountain itself which dominates the region, any and all activity in the region relies on the river, most notably Stromberg the largest human settlement in these parts.

Although there are a few other villages among the ranges here, the small city that lies below you is of particular importance because it is where Lord Wagner dwells and from where he governs these lands. As Ben informed you, he even has a regal estate which you think you can just make out at this distance. Would that you could, just storm in and find the man without getting cut to ribbons, but at least you know where he actually is now and that's a start.

Being so close has its benefits though, but as with this little cave you found, there's also the proximity to danger. A useful spot for carrying out your vendetta when your enemy is so close, but if safety is your concern then you could retreat closer to your old home in the highlands. Besides even just better caves, there's more opportunity for shelter and much less people... really only the old fortress from long past human history, otherwise it's just lonesome homesteads or very small hamlets. Perfect for predating upon but not your personal enemy, if your hatred is so narrowly focused.

Of course you could carry your search onward, the valley before you has plenty and the surrounding mountain range has plenty more. It's just a matter of where you want to (more) permanently settle, and how much you value safety... or access to resources. You're on your own currently, but it doesn't have to remain that way if you don't want, unless of course you prefer to go this vendetta solo.

>What do?