[3 / an / cgl / diy / gd / i / n / out / p / po / qst / s4s / t / trv / vip / vm / vmg / w / wg / wsr / ] [Settings]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Mitsuba Archive

File: The Fading Sea I.jpg (134 KB, 683x1024)
134 KB
134 KB .jpg
The ancients used to write “Here there be dragons” to represent the edge of the map, to signal the end of their known reality. And yet, what would happen if one were to reach said end of the map?

Take a map; any map will do. Proceed to plot a course to the edge of map…and then push further, until you find not just the edge of the map, but the edge of what the map represents.

Welcome to Galgareth, the City of the Wheel, last explored point on the map. Last safe harbor before the “here there be dragons”, like the ancients would say.

Except this time they would be right, for Galgareth is nowhere on the map, but instead lies on the Shore, the coastline of the Fading Sea, the outermost edge where established reality ends and the endless possibilities of the universe give birth to half-real, half-false ephemeral realities that fade away as soon as one leaves them behind.

Endless waves that break upon the strange shores on countless islands, and the only thing connecting a brave explorer to the mainland – a cable spun out of sea serpent twine, harder than cold steel, thicker than a man’s waist. To have it cut it’d mean to become “untethered”, to lose one’s very physical connection to the established reality of the Mainland, and to be doomed to become “faded”, like everything else that is not tethered to reality.

Many a brave explorer have been lost to the strange tides of the Fading Sea this way, for no matter the risks, there will always be brave fools willing to risk their lives in the name of riches and glory.

And riches are what the Fading Sea promises – the islands that dot its surface (and its underwater world) are each their own self-contained world, spawned by the endless churns of the half-formed realities that make up the Fading Sea. Each one could contain tens of thousands of years of history…that will fade away as if it had never existed the moment its link to reality (represented by the explorers and their ship) is cut due to their moving on in their journey.
>>
File: Galgareth III.jpg (135 KB, 854x1280)
135 KB
135 KB .jpg
>>4912457
How many bloody battles have been fought to cut the cables before something out of this world made its way back to reality, dooming us all? How many brave men and women have given their lives, so that one out of a thousand may return with pieces of technology so advanced, as to seem outright magic? And what about the sizeable minority of “islanders” that live in Galgareth itself, forever cut off from their homeland…if it has ever existed at all.

Many stories are spoken of the City of the Wheel, so named for the countless small and big wheels that dot its docks, always ready to be rented out to anyone brave (or foolish) enough to start a journey on the Sea. The City Merchant Princes maintain an uneasy political truce with the other factions present in “their” city: the various cults, spawned by the endless stream of refugees and slaves brought to the city markets by the captains of the ships that do return; the City Council, made up of the representatives of the lower merchants and the guilds, as well as other, stranger political bodies.

It is through an endless mediation process that peace within the city can be maintained…that, and the collective opposition toward the nations of the Mainland.

No one in the city has forgotten the Great Wars, called upon the City of the Shore by the empires and nations of the mainland. The destruction those wars caused is plainly visible in the plains on both sides of the Curtain Mountains, which separate the Shore from the mainland proper. The Princes agreed to maintain eternal neutrality, ending Galgareth (official) meddling with the political world of the “normal” world and tasking it with the defense of reality as we know it, while the states of the mainland were forced to recognize the sovereignty of the City and its colonies.
>>
>>4912461
The Princes know that the City cannot compete against the larger nations of the mainland…but said nations learned to fear what is contained in the underground vaults of the City, for you cannot trust something that came out of this world, and the inhabitants of the City of the Wheel have lived on the Shore for so long, that they may as well not be part of this world anymore..

> What is this?
It’s a new quest set in the setting of the Fading Sea where the players will interpret a MC of their creation.

> I don’t know the setting – tell me more
It’s a setting that /tg/ began creating in 2019 before interest waned. I expanded the world substantially, while trying to maintain a continuity with the original ideas exposed in the threads

> Give me the links!
1d4chan article - https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Fading_Sea
1st Thread - https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/66143666/
2nd Thread - http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/66235775/

> What system are you using?
A heavily homebrewed/modified ASOIAF system, mixed with the Sword Chronicle system.

> Explain.
I plan to keep the basic structure of the system, including the Destiny Points, Benefits etc, but I reserve the right to introduce new homebrewed variations/change things at the drop of a hat, like I did in my last quest, in order to make it funnier for the players and myself.

> How do you plan to manage the quest?
We’ll follow a continuous rhythm – I will update daily, and to allow N. Americans/non-Europeans to participate more, I will often let votes run overnight. I plan to host full length session (7-8 hours) during the weekends if possible.

> Where can I find additional info?
My twitter - https://twitter.com/QmTagaros
My pastebin - https://pastebin.com/u/Tagaros-QM

> I got a great idea! Can I propose it?
Sure! Like many of the players of my old quest (A Century of Blood) can attest to, I prefer to go along with what the players decide, since my role is more that of a Narrator than that of a Quest Master.
>>
File: DM.jpg (5 KB, 224x225)
5 KB
5 KB .jpg
>>4912464
> Who are you, Son of the Shore?

The creation of the MC will proceed in stages, as if we were creating a new character in the ASOIAF system.

Differently from that I asl you to first pick a race, then a background (including an area of provenance and a traditional background in the case of humans). I will give you some quick notes on each option, but they are by no mean definite, since anyone familiar with my old quest will attest that I always listen to players’ inputs. Also, given this is all heavily homebrewed, expect the quest to be quite unbalanced and subject to changes.

First of all, the simple choice of whether you are Human or not – note that humans have a lot of variety themselves, expressed primarily via their backgrounds.

> Human

> Islander

NOTE for "Islander" - one of the many minorities that were brought to Galgareth as slaves, or was born here from a freeman/woman. Will require rolling on various tables, or the players could propose something. The sky is the limit. Note that you might end up with a relatively powerful character, which will likely be countered by your social status (which is beneath even human slaves as an Islander), if you pick to be born in the City.
>>
>>4912467
>Human
>>
>>4912467
>Human
>>
>>4912467
>Human
As much as I love playing a non-human mc, my hate for the horned-"people" far outweighs it.
>>
>>4912488
Note that I include the traditional non-human races in the Islander category (e.g. elves, etc)
>>
>>4912467
>> Islander
I propose we become a weird race that will of course be shunned in the city but out there in the sea, there won't be much to drag us down. What I mean is that, there won't be much of a social status, only crewmembers. minus the captain and the second in command yadda yadda

I would find it very interesting if we can be some sort of walrus. Unappealing to the eye, smells bad, eats too much food, takes up too much space, heavy... but on a pinch it is the best thing you can rely on
>>
>>4912467
>Human
>>
>>4912467
>Human
But we have a trusted second who is an Islander
>>
>>4912467
>Human
>>
>>4912467
>Islander
>>
>>4912467
...Wait a fucking minute. Is this just a really good dream? ...No! It's real! It's fucking real! Oh my god fucking yes!!! YES! YESSSSS!!!!!!

WOOFUCKINGHOO!!!!! GALGELETH FTW MOTHERFUCKER!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!! TALLYFUCKINGHO!!!

> Human
>>
>>4912488
Well, you also have the Prophetic People and the Butterfly People.
>>
>>4912467
welcome back

>human
>>
>>4912472
>>4912476
>>4912488
>>4912873
>>4913073
>>4913081
>>4913213
>>4913260
Human

>>4912610
>>4913185
Islander

Human it is.

>>4913213
Yeah I actually wrote it wrong - it's Galgeleth instead of Galgareth

>>4913260
Thanks mate.

Let's now move on the backgrounds and then classes.
>>
File: Road to Galgeleth II.jpg (85 KB, 965x1417)
85 KB
85 KB .jpg
>>4912467
We shall now select your ethnic background, followed by your origin (where warranted) and “class”, which in broad terms is comparable to ASOIAF archetypes. Note that some classes will have advanced options (e.g. “Wizard”)

> Shoreborn – You’re from one of the lesser cities that make their fortune in the shadow of Galgeleth. Your hometown is likely a colony of the City of the Wheel, or was annexed earlier on by the Merchant Princes.
a. Opens up the following classes: Sailor, Farmer, Militiaman, Minor Functionary, Factotum (write-in for the players)
b. The neutral option, you will have a place to call “home” from the get go, but you will lack any relevant contact outside your hometown, thus forcing you to start with a clean slate both in case you wish to pursue objectives toward the Mainland or the City

> City Dweller - descendant of the original founders of the City, influenced by the Fade that is brought by the moon as the fog claims the city every night, transforming it bit by bit.
a. Opens up the following classes: Sailor, Militiaman, Minor Functionary, Merchant, Acolyte (may lead to “Wizard”, Temple Acolyte or Inquisitor), Student/Minor Researcher, Guild Apprentice, Factotum (write-in for the players)
b. You will get a flat -5 to any social interaction with Mainlanders due to reciprocal hatred born out of the Great Wars; you will receive a flat +2 to any social interaction with inhabitants of the Shore or the Curtain Mountains due to cultural affinity. Moreover, it will be easier for you to ask for a loan if you need one to organize an expedition at Sea.
c. The only background that opens up the possibility of entering the class of “Wizard”

> Mainlander – one of the endless adventurers (and exiles) from the Mainland, seeking refuge, glory and fortune upon the endless Shore
a. Opens up the following classes: Soldier, Merchant, Spy, Envoy, Acolyte (May only lead to Temple Acolyte), Student/Minor Researcher, Factotum (write-in for the players)
b. If you wish to lead a game more oriented toward the Mainland, this is the ideal choice
c. If you wish to attempt to rise in the City, you will find it almost impossible due to your origins. The only way to achieve greatness will be through proving your worthiness by engaging in sea exploration.
d. Depending on your background, you might be able to call in favors from your old contacts back home.
>>
File: Colony I.jpg (1014 KB, 1920x1080)
1014 KB
1014 KB .jpg
>>4913334
> Mountaineer – an inhabitant of the many valleys that lead deep in the Curtain Mountains. You might have been exposed to the civilization of the Mainland, and will likely find it strange (if you wish to play more a MC that leans toward the City in terms of preferences) or enticing (if you wish to play a MC leaning more toward escaping the City).
a. Opens up the following classes: Militiaman, Hunter, Minor Functionary, Envoy, Merchant, Spy, Acolyte (May only lead to Temple Acolyte), Student/Minor Researcher, Factotum (write-in for the players)
b. You will begin your journey near the Inner Gate, one of only two known passes (together with the Outer Gate) that leads from the Shore to the Mainland. Galgeleth is situated a dozen Km away from here, while the Mainland…well, let’s just say that the distance is relative, after all.
c. The unique location of your birth gives you a flat +5 to any Test to breath in rarified conditions where little oxygen is present, and makes you slightly resistant to extreme cold.

> Islander – a human from one of the countless islands discovered and Faded once the captain of the ship returned home in Galgareth.
a. Your homeland is forever lost (…or is it?). You start with little to no contacts and resources
b. On the other hand, subject to the rolls of the QM dice, you might start with a deeper knowledge of reality, be it physics or something else, than the Shoreborn or Mainlanders
c. While you won’t be barred from entering politics like the Mainlanders will, you will start as an unknown quantity, and will have to work hard to beat the prejudice due to your “Faded” status
NOTE – if you pick this option, you might end up with a penniless, contactless, heavily indebted character…or one with a background from an almost endless list.
>>
>>4913338
> Islander – a human from one of the countless islands discovered and Faded once the captain of the ship returned home in Galgareth.
Hard mode it is, may Kek have mercy on this guy.
>>
>>4913338
Mystery box background.
>>
>>4913338
Islander – a human from one of the countless islands discovered and Faded once the captain of the ship returned home in Galgareth.
>>
>>4913338
> Mountaineer – an inhabitant of the many valleys that lead deep in the Curtain Mountains. You might have been exposed to the civilization of the Mainland, and will likely find it strange (if you wish to play more a MC that leans toward the City in terms of preferences) or enticing (if you wish to play a MC leaning more toward escaping the City).

Hunter Class could be rad.
>>
>>4913338
>>
Given we got 10 votes in the Race selection, I will let the vote go on until we get at least 7-8 votes for the background.

I admit that I did not expect anyone to want to take a gamble on the mystery box, but honestly it might be funnier that way.

Quick explanation on how the "Islander - Human" option would work:

> You are a Human. That much is settled.
> You will have a temporary small malus to interactions with the inhabitants of the City/its colonies, and a permanent large malus to interactions with Mainlanders aware of your background (simply lie in case)
> If this option wins, we'll roll on various tables to determine, in order - type of civilization you hail from (type of government, religion, etc), your age, your background & role in said civilization, any potential loot you might have carried with you, and (depending on the type of civilization you hail from) once or twice from the "Supernatural" table.

Depending on this we'll extrapolate/build together a narrative on your status in the City, and which role you'll have once there.

NOTE - Humans that are Islanders are not enslaved on capture as a standard procedure, but are simply given an occupation in the City based on their capacities. Having said that we'd roll to see how merciful/how much of a son of a bitch the captain of the ship that found your island is.
>>
>>4913338
>Islander – a human from one of the countless islands discovered and Faded once the captain of the ship returned home in Galgareth.

>I admit that I did not expect anyone to want to take a gamble on the mystery box, but honestly it might be funnier that way.
Just as with Rhogar, go big or go home
>>
>>4913338
> Shoreborn – You’re from one of the lesser cities that make their fortune in the shadow of Galgeleth. Your hometown is likely a colony of the City of the Wheel, or was annexed earlier on by the Merchant Princes.
a. Opens up the following classes: Sailor, Farmer, Militiaman, Minor Functionary, Factotum (write-in for the players)
b. The neutral option, you will have a place to call “home” from the get go, but you will lack any relevant contact outside your hometown, thus forcing you to start with a clean slate both in case you wish to pursue objectives toward the Mainland or the City

i like standard routes
>>
>>4913432
Fuggit let's roll on yhe mystery box
>>
>>4913456
>>4913447
>>4913431
>>4913418
>>4913392
>>4913355
Islander - Human

>>4913450
Shoreborn

>>4913430
Mountaineer

Alright, Islander it is.

Roll me 3D100 to determine the type of civilization you hail from.

Best results from 90+
>>
Rolled 40, 72, 6 = 118 (3d100)

>>4913512
>>
I mean Best of 3 obviously (unless I indicate differently, it's always Bo3)
>>
Rolled 77, 66, 83 = 226 (3d100)

>>4913512
>>
Rolled 20 (1d100)

>>4913512
>>
>>4913522
I'll wait some time for a third complete roll, but otherwise I'll take this one.

First roll - Type of government
75-80 Republic (typology unspecified)
Second Roll - Technological level
60-70 Low Middle Ages
Third Roll - Religion
80-85 Henotheism

So we got a survivor from a civilization that worshipped a single supreme god as the chief of a pantheon, for they did not deny the existence of other gods.

A republican form of government, the specifics of which can be either decided later on or by the players, and a tech level comparable with low middle ages.

Give me a flat 1d100 to determine your social status. Best of 1.
>>
Rolled 21 (1d100)

>>4913548
>>
>>4913558
Now this is interesting. Apparently you were an Acolyte of your religion, and relatively highly placed at that (10-25, where the higher you rolled, the higher your position)

Given religion had such a huge impact on your life, we'll now proceed to define the main aspects of the religious doctrine of your people.

First of all - 1d100 for the typology of God/des you worshipped (Trade, War, etc)
Then - 1d100 to determine your training, depending on the typology of god/des

> Roll me 2d100

Bo3
>>
Rolled 80 (1d100)

>>4913560
>>
>>4913563
2d100
>>
Rolled 73, 14 = 87 (2d100)

>>4913560
>>
Rolled 43 (1d100)

>>4913563
>>
>>4913560
>>
Rolled 19, 76 = 95 (2d100)

>>4913565
Trying again.
>>
>>4913606
>>4913601
>>4913563
>>4913578

80 - War in its more spiritual form, aka war meant as an art form and spiritual undertaking that society as a whole as to undertake, to be periodically forged anew.
76 - ???

Roll me 1d100 flat, Best of 1.
>>
Rolled 75 (1d100)

>>4913620
>>
>>4913620
So apparently we're an acolyte of the god of eternal revolutions? I dig it!
>>
>>4913560
>>4913620
>>4913640
Strange, but interesting. So we are a sort of high priest taken from one of the vanishing islands, did some of our people survive and where taken with us ?

I wonder if they did take us as slaves or we managed to convert the crew of the ship somehow.
>>
>>4913558
You rolled between 10 and 25, thus you are an Acolyte.

>>4913563
You rolled between 80 and 85, aka Warfare as a spiritual art (attempting to reach inner peace via studying the art of war)

>>4913606
You rolled 76...and then
>>4913622
Confirmed it, since this option required 2 rolls over 75 (my own houserule to limit the likelihood of it coming up)

>>4913652
Roll me a flat 1d100. Best of 1, to determine whether your attendants came with you on this exploratory journey.
>>
Rolled 70 (1d100)

>>4913654
>>
>>4913656
Alright. Give me 5 minutes to write down our background.

We'll roll for loot after that.
>>
>>4913654
>Acolyte
>Warfare as a spiritual art
Can our name be Julius Rene?
>>
Ok, before I finish the background, I am calling a vote on whether you guys wish to go with the dices result or not, for you rolled the combination (as explained here >>4913654) that makes it so you would fall in the "Wizard" class.

Do understand that magic works very differently in this setting than in others, and it is a double edged sword more than anything else. Whenever you "cast a spell", you will roll against a DC to determine how effective you are, and to see if you suffer backlash. By "levelling up" this skill you lower the DC you have to beat, as you become "more familiar" with your own psyche.

So -
> Let's go with what the dices have decided
> Let's not.

There are quite a lot of advantages in playing this class, for you'll have a much easier time in Galgeleth (magic does not exist in the normal world, and the number of those who achieved supernatural powers through the usage of artefacts from the Fading Sea can be counted on the fingers of 2 hands), but note that you'll have to constantly level up the Sorcery skill to avoid severe backlash over time.
>>
>>4913681
>Let's go with what the dices have decided
>>
>>4913681
If a majority of players wishes to not enter this class, you will roll to enter one of the other 2 that suit your background. It all comes down to your playstyle.
>>
>>4913681
>>
>>4913681
>Let's go with what the dices have decided
>>
>>4913681
>> Let's go with what the dices have decided
What's not to love about playing as an Evola tier schizo war-priest?
>>
Who wouldn't want to risk losing an arm AND growing a third nust that glows in the dark in exhange of favorable winds for the voyage??????
Also I got a new ISP and it is IP rangebanned. I am stuck phoneposting.
>>
>>4913662
If others vote for it, sure. Your name can be Julius Rene and you can attempt to live up to both Evola and Guenon, or even Julius Evola himself.

>>4913694
>>4913691
>>4913687
>>4913683
>>4913702
I'll wait some more time, but it seems you guys like the idea. If this is the way we go, we'll finish rolling for loot and background today, and between this evening and tomorrow I'll write down not just our MC sheet, but also the magic system.

>>4913702
It's no problem. And you have actually caught what it will be like perfectly - when you get the roll right, the world is your oyster. When you roll badly, you get a third AND a fourth nuts that glows in the dark.
>>
Roll me 1d100 for your MC age, so that I may select a proper image. Background is done.
>>
Rolled 95 (1d100)

>>4913732
>>
>>4913732
a wizard that is 95 years old? How do we measure its age, by the amount of nuts?
>>
>>4913734
Alright, you are on the higher end of the range. Early forties.

>>4913737
No, but that'd be a good idea. I simply asked for a 1d100 to estimate within the range of ages I'd allow (early 20s, late 40s)
>>
Rolled 14 (1d100)

>>4913732
>>
File: Battle - Wizard III.jpg (64 KB, 563x750)
64 KB
64 KB .jpg
>>4913512
The priesthood took you in when you were but a child, and over the years they have trained you in the basics of warfare like all the other Acolytes. Specifically, you spent your childhood and teenage years training in the arts of swordsmanship and archery, attempting to reach interior peace under the guidance of the abbot, for the Goddess you followed was a Goddess of War – War as something innate in all of mankind; War as a ritual that every generation has to undertake in order to grasp the true meaning of living in this world.

It is this religious philosophy that influenced the cultural development of your homeland – you hail from a civilization that regarded all men and women as equal, for if life is struggle, and conflict an inescapable truth that every member of each generation has to come to terms with, it must mean that the gods created us this way. We were meant to fight, to struggle and to prevail over each other…and over the world at large.

In front of the gods, there is no greater shame than cowardice, for it is a refusal to obey the single imperative they laid out in front of us.

The entire world follows this diktat: the animals that share this world with us are locked in an endless struggle against each other – struggle to conquer the right to mate, struggle to survive another day, struggle to not be eaten…or to eat - and the plants fight each other to survive in the sunlight. By the gods above, if some of our wise men were to be believed, even the celestial bodies are locked in an eternal fight against one another - the Moon struggles against the dominion of the Sun, and it periodically prevails, thus causing the rare cold winters.

It was only right to organize our society along lines our creators would approve of – you spent your life in what modern men would call a direct democracy, where everyone was equal, for every one of us bled the same when the time came to go to war, to offer another sacrifice in honor of the gods.
>>
File: Early 20s.jpg (77 KB, 564x869)
77 KB
77 KB .jpg
>>4913741
Except…you were different. Where other acolytes of the temples were raised to become soldiers, priests or other professions that would support society in a more “direct” way, you were trained to perfect your own mind. For struggle does not have to be physical – while the theme of physical conflict played out heavily throughout your homeland, there were people that adopted a more philosophical view of the eternal struggle the gods demanded – what we’d call philosophers, learned men who led a metaphorical fight against the darkness of the eternal night, so as to enable our society to advance faster than our rivals, and thus maintain the edge that ensured we’d prevail in the eternal conflict that is the destiny of mankind.

A series of stones are inlaid in your skin; they appear to be fused seamlessly with your body at a first glance, and have reacted to your emotional state as far as your memory goes.

The higher-ranking members of your faith called it the “Arkhay ar Tarek” (which in the sacred tongue means “Higher Calling”, but it can also be translated as “Doomed Calling”), and this “higher calling” that claimed you at birth (or so told you the abbot) made it so that you’d have to fight your own internal battle for the entirety of your life, for you would either make the power gifted to you by the Goddess submit, or you’d be consumed by it.

Over the years you rose through the ranks of your Order, and when the outsiders came ashore, you did what was expected of you – you called upon the gift the gods gave you, and where your gaze landed, death followed.

The outsiders fought valiantly, but they were no match for you and your brothers...until one of them offered what is the universal symbol of submission – a white flag.

The council of wisemen debated at length what to do with these outsiders – for they were dressed like no one we had seen before, and possessed weapons we had never seen before; one of them even had what appeared to be a pipe made of steel, out of which a ball of lead came out. The broken arm of your brother-in-arm attested to its efficacy.

In the end a suitable sentence was reached – for having lost against you, they’d offer safe passage to a delegation from the temples, so as to spread the light of truth to these heathens, and allow them to live a more enlightened life.
>>
File: Farewell Home.jpg (22 KB, 236x294)
22 KB
22 KB .jpg
>>4913743
The wizened abbot that grew you as his own son put your name forward – a decision that, much to your surprise, encountered almost unanimous approval from the other abbots. For you were of a proper age (being on the cusp of your fortieth year of life), of proper mind (having being raised by the priesthood) and of strong conviction and arm.

You would be the spearhead that would spread the true faith of this world to the heathens.

You and the few brothers and sisters that decided to accompany you were apprehensive at this prospect, but rightfully excited, imagining the glory you’d receive once you accomplished your mission and returned home.

Except that there is no home.

As soon as you left the shore and the ship you were standing upon lost sight of the golden beaches of your homeland, you felt something sever within yourself – the look upon your brothers and sisters told you they felt the same.

The captain simply put a hand over your shoulder, and proceeded to explain what had happened.

Your command of their language was abysmal at best, given you had only two months to learn it, but from what you understood, this sea was “unique”, in that anything that you lost sight of and that lacked a connection to what he kept referring to as “the Mainland” (a nebulous concept to you, which he synthetized as “the biggest island you can image, multiplied by a thousand”. He must surely have been jestin..) would become “Faded”, as in “lost to the mist”.

Of course, you laughed at his suggestion…except you noticed the saddened faces the entire crew of the ship directed your way – faces that spoke of deeper truths, that had seen this scene repeat multiple times.

It was then that you understood this would a one-way trip.
>>
>>4913746
What is your name, Son of a forgotten land? And what lucky charms have you brought from a homeland that might as well have never existed?

> All the players can write down 1-2 objects they'd like to have, as well as their proposal for the name of the MC

I will make a list of the reasonable requests/suggestions this evening, as well as tally the votes for the MC name.

Moreover, this is the time you guys can modify your background and/or character before we finalize it - if you'd like to make any change, make a suggestion and the other will be able to vote on it as usual.
>>
Regarding magic - your class plays more like a sorcerer (for the people familiar with DnD or Pathfinder) than anything else, for you will discover new powers as you "explore" your mind (aka expend XP on the appropriate skills and Benefits/Talents to unlock new capacities/special skills)
>>
>>4913748
>Name:
Julius Renatus (renatus means born again so I think it fits for a lost clergyman)
>Charms:
Medalion of a tiger, to help concentrate, it also helps that it has a small blade within(think of those push dagger knife necklaces but hidden).
Also question for the QM:
What was our guy trained?
Was it only magic or does he knows stuff like tactics, CQC, urban fighting, etc?
>>
>>4913748
I want a set to maintain the priest's sword. You know, oils and a grindstone. He meditates during the maintenance of his gear and thinks about stuff. It also can be a source of income.
I also want a child or two, for the priest to feel sad about. You know, a round character.
He could even get to know people in the Shore that
>They are just like my waifu and my kids :O
It is a fun trope! and I don't see why this priest would be forbidden from having kids. Everybody having children makes sense in this Live Survive Die doctrine.
About the name, not sure but if we base ourselves in your Akhray ar Tarek it sounds like Shona language from Zimbabwe... Kutenda might work.
>>
>>4913761
He's quite literally a warrior priest.

The main areas of expertise that I listed for this background are the following: battle magic, swordsmanship, archery, CQC, theology& philosophy (of his own faith/land obviously) and battle tactics.

Of course, you guys can customize him by voting on anything you'd like for me to include in his char sheet when I'll create it between today and tomorrow (I plan to let the vote run overnight to give everyone a say if possible, given we're creating the MC itself).

>>4913762
Nice suggestions honestly; regarding the name, any suggestion is welcome, in the end we'll vote as always to determine what is our name.
>>
>>4913748
Based

>Name
Evenicor Fesay

>Objects
- One of the first holy books of the War Goddess, ancient, large and contains much knowledge of our religion and people. The abbot assigned it to us, as it was proper than a chosen man received a relic of the past. Many of the passages are in the archaic tongue of our people,
- Sword of the Arkhay ar Tarek, if the book wasn t already a sign of the favor our people and deity granted us, then this sword was even more so. At first appeareance it looks like a beautiful if ancient and rusted blade, dotted like our body with sacred stones. But unlike other blades, this sword is no mere tool of warfare : it was used in the past by other
Arkhay ar Tarek making it a symbol to rally too, and ... it demands struggle and victory to be wielded, like the diktat given by the gods to our chosen people. Before we departed the abbots mentioned that if we gained both, the sword would have return to it s true glory becoming stronger and stronger until none would have stand
the Arkhay ar Tarek.
>>
>>4913748
> Name
Messer Quarin

>Items
Seed Collection. This sectioned box with a dozen different kinds of seeds were to be a future source of medicines in the new land.

Ancestral urn. This tiny ornate bronze urn holds minute quantities of the cremains of various ancestors. It functions both as a memento mori and as a ceremonial piece usually kept at a person's home or in the case of someone of your office brought to a new temple to be poured into a large hole meant for the communal storage of the cremains of your religion's adherents.
>>
>>4914614
I'd suggest that while minute bits of cremains are kept by relatives that the bulk of cremains are poured into a massive hole at the center of a temple. Common religious rituals at temples involve animal sacrifice by children to normalize killing to survive, periods of aceticism to purge the weakness of decadence, and ceremonial bloodletting to remember to dead of war.
>>
>>4913761
suport
>>
>>4913748
>Name: Arukhan Jura. As one who has taken on the Arkhay ar Tarek, your last name was changed to Arukhan -- simply meaning "one who answers the Higher Calling".
>Items
The Red Lotus Scripture, a holy tome said to be written by the Goddess for the good of mankind. Every acolyte owns a copy of this book so they may be reassured that sacred wisdom is always near.
A punch-dagger with a tiger statuette in the middle. It serves as a focus for meditation, and the statuette can be removed to use it as a weapon.
>>
Alright, sorry if yesterday I did not update, but I was busy. Writing a synthesis of what we have for now
>>
Objects that the MC will have in his possession
> Medallion of a tiger, containing a small (hidden) blade within
> A punch-dagger with a tiger statuette in the middle. It serves as a focus for meditation, and the statuette can be removed to use it as a weapon.
> Sword of the Arkhay ar Tarek - an old, rusted sword that has little practical value as a sword…but a lot of symbolical value for our people, for it symbolizes our unique status within the religious hierarchy
> Seed Collection – a small, sectioned box with a dozen different kinds of seeds that were to be a future
> A set of tools to maintain his sword. It includes oils and a grindstone
source of medicines in the new land
> Ancestral urn. This tiny ornate bronze urn holds minute quantities of the cremains of various ancestors. It functions both as a memento mori and as a ceremonial piece that was to be used to consecrate the first of the many new temples our superiors hoped we’d found in the new lands
> A copy of the “Red Lotus Scripture”, a holy tome said to be written by the Goddess for the good of mankind. Every acolyte owns a copy of this book so they may be reassured that sacred wisdom is always near.
> A treasure of our homeland, one of the 35 Great Histories of our people – one of the ancient books penned by our ancestors when their civilization was still young and (according to the faith) the Gods walked among them. It has been heavily amended and updated over the years, becoming more of a philosophical & religious treaty mixed with historical accounts.
> Basic personal items (clothes, some gold coins, a normal sword, etc)

And now for his name - vote:
> Arukhan Jura
> Messer Quarin
> Evenicor Fesay
> Julius Renatus
>>
It deleted this item
>Seed Collection. This sectioned box with a dozen different kinds of seeds was to be a future source of medicines in the new land.
>>
>>4916747
I stand by my wish of makeing this guy the god-king of Galgareth and sacrifice all the (((merchants))) that stand in his way.
As such I vote for him to be named Julius Renatus.
>>
>>4916747
>Sword of the Arkhay ar Tarek - an old, rusted sword that has little practical value as a sword…but a lot of symbolical value for our people, for it symbolizes our unique status within the religious hierarchy
>A punch-dagger with a tiger statuette in the middle. It serves as a focus for meditation, and the statuette can be removed to use it as a weapon.
>Ancestral urn. This tiny ornate bronze urn holds minute quantities of the cremains of various ancestors. It functions both as a memento mori and as a ceremonial piece that was to be used to consecrate the first of the many new temples our superiors hoped we’d found in the new lands
>Arukhan Jura
>>
>>4916747
>> Arukhan Jura
>>
>>4916747
>Arukhan Jura
>>
>>4916794
Gli artefatti li hai tutti, non bisogna votare su quello, ma solo sul nome, non preoccuparti
>>
>>4916747
>> Arukhan Jura
>>
>>4916747
> Arukhan Jura
>>
>>4917254
>>4917172
>>4917077
>>4916964
>>4916794
Arukhan Jura, war priest of the Goddess, spiritual leader of his people, "father of the lost"
>>
>>4917350
A new tagaros qeust?
Count me in
Also
W
H
I
T
E

S
U
N
>>
>>4917420
Yes, a new quest...except this one is going a tad slowly since my boss has given me a new project to work on. Still tomorrow we play out the scene on the boat, given we have finished the MC generation, and you guys will get to customize some of your followers if you want to

Also, just because you mentioned it, that night your MC sees a white star with what appears to a sad, but satisfied smile. You do not understand how a star could wave...and yet you are certain it is bidding you farewell, for on the sea of endless possibilities, "may we meet again".

(No, this is just flavor and has no impact on the story - it is just a nod to the players of my old quest)
>>
File: The Fading Sea II.jpg (58 KB, 500x375)
58 KB
58 KB .jpg
>>4916747
You look out at sea and sigh, for what seems to be the thousandth time today.

In the end, who can blame you?

You just learned that you home, you country…it might as well have never existed, for it is now forever lost to you and your kin.

Your hand reaches instinctively for the small medallion of a tiger that you have around your neck and you gently squeeze it – its familiar shape bringing you a small measure of calm.

You sigh, before turning to look at the crew of this outlander ship, busy as ever under the watchful eye of their captain…and you look at your people, the few that decided to accompany you West. For good or bad, they are your flock now, and to ignore your duties as a spiritual leader won’t do.

What do you wish to do?
> Call your followers over – let us pray.
> Call your followers over to talk and help them calm down
> Concentrate on yourself for now – you have felt “in flux” since you left your home, as if strange currents were passing through your body
> Talk to the Captain of this ship – gather information for what awaits us
> Write-in
>>
>>4917955
> Call your followers over to talk and help them calm down.
Then
> Talk to the Captain of this ship – gather information for what awaits us
>>
> Call your followers over to talk and help them calm down
>>
>>4917955
>Call your followers over to talk and help them calm down
>>
>>4917955
>Call your followers over to talk and help them calm down
>Talk to the Captain of this ship – gather information for what awaits us
>>
test.
>>
>>4917955
>>Call your followers over to talk and help them calm down
>>Talk to the Captain of this ship – gather information for what awaits us
>>
>>4917958
>>4917961
>>4917963
>>4917965
>>4917972
Writing
>>
File: Preacher.jpg (398 KB, 1003x1390)
398 KB
398 KB .jpg
>>4917955
You look over at your people, nervously talking among themselves.

If what the Captain said is true…they might be your last link to your lost homeland. And you…their last link to their gods and faith.

You sigh, before turning toward them and spreading your arms wide, calling for their attention.

> “Brothers! Sisters! I know you all heard what the outlanders said – that our home is “faded away”, as if it had never existed. I know how you feel…for I feel the same. Unsure about the future, saddened by the thought what they said might be real…but we cannot let these thoughts drown us in despair.”

You move forward, raising your voice while making movements with your arms as to signal your kin to gather around you. You notice that some of the sailors have turned as well, as if to listen to what you might have to say.

> “Remember what the Goddess taught our ancestors in the ancient time – life is nothing but a constant cycle of death and rebirth. We live to struggle against our limits, and life itself challenges us so that we may grow as individuals. If what the outlanders said is true…what is this, if not the greatest challenge life has thrown your way yet? You should REJOICE that you were chosen as worthy of being granted this glorious opportunity!”

You open your eyes, that you had closed during the speech, and notice that…everyone on the ship has stopped what they were doing, even the sailors and their Captain, and are now listening to you

> “This is not a sentence, brothers…this is an opportunity for us all. The gods did not create us so that we may grow fat and decadent over time, becoming too stupid to even understand why we live at all. No…that was the sentence of many others, but not us, for we know the TRUTH: the gods made this world so that we may learn how to truly live, reaching our full potential as individuals and as a nation!”

You start walking around as you speak in a loud voice, utterly taken by your own speech.

> “Was is not one of the great commandments to “go forth and tame the world”? Was it not a command given to us by the Goddess herself to be productive and mindful in all our acts? Did we not grow to dominate our homeland by following her teachings? Then why begin doubting now?!”

You bring down your fist over your chest, hitting over your hearth so as to emphasize your words

> “I do not pretend to know the lands we are headed toward, my brothers and sisters. But I know this: our ancestors conquered their world by following the words of the gods, and by the Goddess we shall do the same! Who will join me, in grasping this glorious opportunity with both hands? Will you rise above the dirt that is the reward of a life lived in anonymity, or will you fall down, to join the uncounted masses?”

You stop with your arms raised to the sky, and await their response.

> Roll me 1d100+20
>>
Rolled 71 + 20 (1d100 + 20)

>>4918053
>>
>>4918063
You beat the DC (65), but I am letting others roll. Roll me above 110 and you'll unlock something new.
>>
Rolled 15 + 20 (1d100 + 20)

>>4918053
Might as well try for a 90.
>>
Rolled 15 + 20 (1d100 + 20)

>>4918053
>>
>>4918074
>>4918070
>>4918063
Well...not a bad result, but with a 110 you'd have actually outright converted some of the sailors themselves. I will write the next scene during lunch break
>>
>>4918082
nice
>>
>>4918082
That'll do for now, we'll get plenty of opportunities to convert them.
>>
>>4917451
>wave back
>>
>>4917451
To be fair though the White Sun probably makes more sense in this quest than in ASOIAF
>>
>>4918355
Yeah, but let’s not retread old ground.
>>
File: Haldan.jpg (27 KB, 360x450)
27 KB
27 KB .jpg
>>4918053
> Rolled 91, DC 65

Your words seem to have struck a word with your people, for you see many clean their tears with their arms or the border of their shirts, and look back at you with a renewed sense of purpose.

It is now that you hear someone clapping – as you turn to look in the direction of the noise, you see that it is the Captain of the ship, giving you a small smile as he claps. The gesture is timidly repeated by the sailors, before they are dismissed by their captain, who gestures you to join him.

You give a nod to your kin, before uttering a generic blessing in their direction, and join the captain.

“An impressive little speech, the one you just gave, Arukhan. Judging by the look on the face of some of the younger ones among my men..watery hells, you might have made some converts – wasn’t that your mission, after all?”

The Captain, Haldan Fairchild, is a middle aged man with sunburnt complexion, black hair slowly turning to grey. With muscles as pronounced as yours, if weighted down by a small layer of fat gained due to his position, you had the pleasure to cross swords with him during the brief skirmish that followed the outlanders foray into your homeland – one of the small scars he bears was a gift from you.

What do you wish to say/ask?
> Write-in

Haldan begins with a relatively friendly attitude toward you, primarily due to his respect for your martial skills (including your more “unusual” ones), and a fair amount of pity for you and your people’s plight.

>>4918133
You feel the beginning of a headache, but it passes without any issue. When/if you check your money, you might find a small coin with a dragon imprinted on it.

(It's worth little to nothing, it's just an Easter Egg)

And now the real update
>>
>>4919494
>> Write-in
And what about yourself? Have we swayed your heart, Captain?
Then segue into talking his faith (if he has one), and then the faiths and power structures of our destination.
>>
>>4919494
> Write-in

"Ah Captain Haldan, good to see you. I have many many questions that need answers, so perhaps is best if we sit and have some food served. In fact, it will take quite a while"
"- Where did you said your people are from ?
- Who rules you ?
- Do your people have a faith ?
- Are your people united ?
- Do your people have enemies ?
- How large is this fading sea we travel in ?
- You said you travel this "sea" .... for find riches ? Is that why you go island to island ? Does it pay far more than simply trading or fishing ? There is really such an abundance of treasures in this "sea" ?
- Do you have only this ship or a fleet of them ?"
>>
>>4919494
Supporting >>4919532 and >>4919535. They summed up pretty much everything I wanted to ask.ABGV4
>>
File: Ship II.jpg (36 KB, 645x960)
36 KB
36 KB .jpg
>>4919494
He smiles as you begin asking about him, his faith, his people…before raising a hand, signaling you to give him a moment to think

“So many questions..it is to be expected, but still, one at a time please. Me…I am not a religious man. For when you have seen so many proofs of so many wondrous…and horrible things, one’s faith becomes sorely tested, until it snaps”

He rests back on the chair, and looks forward in the mist, to the point where you see the cable vanish in the morning fog

> “I’d like to ask you some question regarding the land we’re headed toward, if that’s possible”

He nods

“You mean the City and the Shore. You know, I think this is the first time I ever explained this to…well, someone that could or could not exist, depending on how you look at it”

When he sees your confused expression, he sighs, before taking out a piece of paper and drawing a circle on it

“See this? Well, imagine that this bubble is “reality”. What it is, regardless of what you might think. Alright?”

You nod, and he draws a much larger, less defined bubble around the one he drew before

“Now imagine that this is now the realm of “what is”, but “what could be”. And approximately here..”

He draws a long line, departing from the central bubble, and reaching toward a very small bubble he drew far in the “what could be” bubble (the larger, less defined one)

“…would be your home. Now, your “reality” is anchored to…well, “our” reality, by this tether, which allows us to, essentially, bring a sliver of “reality” with us as we sail on the Sea”

He points at the massive rope that departs from the ship…at least, you thought it to be rope, but at closer inspection it reminds you more of cured tendons than anything else

> “You mentioned multiple times how our homeland is forever lost, captain. I can attest to the truth of your words, for I can’t feel it anymore….and yet, I do not understand how this is possible – for land to simply disappear”
>>
File: Ship I.jpg (66 KB, 900x1200)
66 KB
66 KB .jpg
>>4922237
“Look, I am a ship captain, priest. I do not have all the answers – if you want to know more, ask a scholar in Galgeleth. What I can say, is that as far as I know no one has ever met an island corresponding to the description given by another explorer. Once you leave an island, it might as well have never existed. Now, regarding the City …imagine the largest city you could imagine, and multiply its size by 10 times or more. Galgeleth is a metropolis that embraces the Sea, extending along a large peninsula that juts in the waters”

He takes up a bottle, and pours himself some ale before moving the bottle toward you, to which you simply nod. You spend some minutes in silent company, him observing his men, you thinking about what he said.

> “I thank you, but what about the government of the city? What about the other nations that must surely surround such a huge port?”

Haldan cuckles

“There are no other nations on the Shore, priest. Well, except the smaller colonies that depend on Galgeleth for protection. The Curtain Mountains divide the Shore from the Mainland, and that’s it. Since them bastards tried to wipe us out, we cut ties with the fuckers….except for the occasional envoy, merchant or missionary, that’s it. As far as the government goes…I don’t know, nor do I care honestly. I am a simple man Arukhan. I ply my trade, whore my way through the lower districts of Galgeleth, and that’s it.”

You nod, even if Haldan’s reply didn’t give you nearly as many information as you hoped, it gave you a rough image of the place you’re going

What do you wish to do?
> Ask Haldan some more questions (specify what, if you wish to ask from the list here >>4919535) – he’s getting drunk, so ask max 1 other question
> You are a smart man. Roll me 1D100 to deduce something more from what Haldan told you.
> Try looking through the ship crew – there must be a doctor around the ship, no? If there is, maybe a fellow scholar will know more.
> Write-in
>>
To say that my new work project keeps me busy would be an understatement.

But still, today I play to run a full day session if there are enough players.
>>
>>4922238
>> You are a smart man. Roll me 1D100 to deduce something more from what Haldan told you.
Then
> Try looking through the ship crew – there must be a doctor around the ship, no? If there is, maybe a fellow scholar will know more.
>>
>>4922238
>You are a smart man. Roll me 1D100 to deduce something more from what Haldan told you.
>>
I'll wait some 20 minutes, then call the vote regardless of the amount of votes
>>
>>4922265
>>4922253
Roll me 1D100 please, best of 3 (2 in this case I guess)
>>
Rolled 58 (1d100)

>>4922328
Did someone order a 1?
>>
>>4922344
I'll take this, given the little participation
>>
Rolled 19 (1d100)

>>4922328
>>
Rolled 36 (1d100)

>>4922328
>>
File: Jonas.jpg (125 KB, 1280x1704)
125 KB
125 KB .jpg
>>4922238
> Rolled 58 (DC 50)
As Haldan busies himself with drinking his ale, you stop to think about what he told you.

He spoke of a single, huge city and, by how he spoke of them, smaller colonies – this must mean that Galgeleth is, by all accounts, a fairly centralized nation due to the size disparity between the capital and the colonies.

Continuing along this train of thought, and thinking about what Haldan told you regarding the nature of the Sea you find yourself on, one can deduce that Galgeleth must either be a merchant city, or a city with a relatively large mercantile class. This is due to a basic fact of human nature – reward must be commensurate to the cost. To find men (and women) willing to trade waters where to be lost would mean to essentially cease to exist (again, according to what Haldan told you), the reward from the kind of trips that led the outsiders to your homeland must be quite substantial.

If one puts together a relatively large mercantile class, a centralized nation and a dependency on the sea…one gets that Galgeleth must either have a relatively fluid power structure, or one that allows enterprising individuals to rise above.

You nod to yourself – you can’t be sure of anything until you find a more reliable source of information, but this is a good starting point.

> “Forgive me captain, but it seems I ate something that did not agree with the ale. Could you direct me to the ship doctor?”

He looks at you, before reply in a slurred tone

“Downstairs, ask of Jonas”

A nod, a (fake) slight limp to make your lie believable, and you find yourself below deck, asking for the doctor – this “Jonas”. As you follow the indications given you by a sailor, you find yourself standing in a small cabin, in front of a young man seated at his desk.

He doesn’t seem to have noticed you, so you cough in your hand after what seems an appropriate amount of time.

“Oh! Sorry, I didn’t notice your presence. How may I help you?”

He does a double take upon seeing you

“Wait. Aren’t you the leader of the islanders we took on the ship?”

What do you wish to ask Jonas?
> Write-in (can be a repeat of the other questions, or you can ask something else)
>>
>>4922406
Generally the same stuff we asked the captain, also how do most 'Islanders' get by in the city
>>
>>4922406
> Write-in (can be a repeat of the other questions, or you can ask something else)
"Hello good doctor, and yes i am. I had some questions about your city (look on previous questions post), but before this had you seen if any of my kin is in danger for the contact with your people ? After all we are from two different places, and my men captured your crew but we didn t mingle with them or eat your food before starting this voyage."
"Could i also inquire on your profession and on your years of service with the captain ? You seem a fairly young man for being already a doctor of your own, i would have expected someone far older than you."
>>
sorry for not being online during the weekend
>>
>>4923488
+1
>>
>>4922406
>>4923488
+1
>>
Dead quest again?
>>
>>4928794
More than dead, I am simply having an extremely heavy week. It's not dead, so much as the QM is simply too exhausted to write after work. Thank the gods today I am working remotely.

So, writing.
>>
>>4929007
Take your time mate.
>>
>>4929007
No worries c.c
Also middle Management
>>
>>4929780
*fuck middle Management, they gave me even more work with less budget x.x
>>
File: 1598939623742.jpg (156 KB, 1258x1353)
156 KB
156 KB .jpg
>>4912457
aw fuck yeah i always loved this setting.
>>
>>4937121
Tell me about it.