[3 / an / cgl / diy / gd / i / n / out / p / po / qst / s4s / t / trv / vip / vm / vmg / w / wg / wsr / ] [Settings]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Mitsuba Archive

File: fortress.png (1162 KB, 1600x900)
1162 KB
1162 KB .png
>You are an apprentice Bad Guy in the utopian lands of Light and Harmony. Death from anything other than old age is long gone from the world due to the gods of light winning in the celestial war. Now heroes and villains exist mostly for entertainment and to keep things interesting. They clash in epic battles that tear apart cities and burn down countries… Then everyone gets revived, and everyone gushes about how cool it was until the next thing happens while everyone rebuilds everything.

>The good guys seem to always win in the end, but the bad guys get what they want until a hero can beat them. When the bad guys lose they have to do community service for a time, generally helping with the rebuilding of what they destroyed. When the good guys lose they swear oaths of vengeance, and the game keeps going back and forth.

>Eventually though, all Big Bads do something against the RULES set down by the gods. Perhaps it’s destroying a soul which stops a person from being resurrected. Maybe it’s destroying some relic or treasure that’s irreplaceable, or what have you. Then the Big Bad receives a Death Mark, which means the next time they die they won’t get resurrected, but must instead stand before the gods and beg for their forgiveness. Which they’ll eventually get, since they have all of eternity to make up for what they did, but it’s not pleasant.

>Your master, an ancient Lich Lord, got himself a kill order over a year ago, and you’ve just gotten word that the group of adventurers that killed him are on their way here to loot all his stuff. You found this out when someone mentioned that all the older apprentices had raided the treasury, magical artifact rooms, and taken all the best mooks. Now you and 19 other low ranked apprentices are left with less than an hour before the adventuring party gets here to get your stuff, get as much gold and magic items as you can, convince as many mooks as you can to come with you, and skedaddle before they adventuring party shows up because they can and will kill you and then you’ll be resurrected with nothing.

>You are in the Lich's fortress town where previously nearly 300 people lived and worked. By this time tomorrow it will be abandoned.

>You are currently in your bunk room with your three other roommates, 2 boys and a girl, all around your age (19-23 with you as the oldest). The girl and the youngest boy, Tillia and Mike respectively, are pretty vicious and are already heading out of the room, most likely to loot as much as they can before leaving. They both have weapons on them and will use it if they think it’ll get them ahead.

>The other boy, Greg, is —relatively— nice. Mostly meaning you’d trust him not to stab you in the back at the first opportunity, but don’t let him see you holding a good item or too much money. He is an apprentice BBEG, after all, just like you.
>>
>>4922414
Currently in your inventory is a snack bar, a paring knife, your apprentice robes, basic clothes underneath the robes, and some serviceable but not great leather boots and gloves. You can assume that all apprentices have the same stuff.

Options:
1: Go for mooks first: receive 1 Tier 2 and 2 Tier 1 mooks instead of just 2 Tier 1 mooks.
2: Go for artifacts first: receive 1 Tier 2 Artifact and 3 Tier 1 artifacts instead of 2 Tier 1 artifacts.
3: Go for gold first: receive 3000 gold instead of 1000 gold
4: Go for food first: receive 3 weeks of food instead of 1 week of food

You may only pick 1 option. You will receive the ‘instead’ option of the other 3.

You can also write in if you want to do something else. Talk to one of the other apprentices? Stab someone? Eat a chocolate bar? Note that unless a write in forces you to stop doing one of the options you can pick an option and also write in, such as speaking to someone while going somewhere, or stabbing someone while on your way out the door.

While they shouldn’t be super important just yet, you should familiarize yourself with the rules, as it will give you some ideas about what can be done: https://pastebin.com/6swYYBvG
The rules are subject to change if they just aren’t working well, or if they unnecessarily slow the game down.
>>
>>4922415
>2: Go for artifacts first: receive 1 Tier 2 Artifact and 3 Tier 1 artifacts instead of 2 Tier 1 artifacts.
Let’s buff ourselves up
>>
>>4922415
>3: Go for gold first: receive 3000 gold instead of 1000 gold
Time to make some money
>>
>>4922415
>>4922442
Oh yeah, I wrote that before I changed how much things cost, it's actually 6000 gold instead of 2000 gold. It's functionally the same thing, just want the number to be correct.
>>
>>4922415
>2: Go for artifacts first: receive 1 Tier 2 Artifact and 3 Tier 1 artifacts instead of 2 Tier 1 artifacts.
>>
>>4922440
>>4922451
Alright, we got 2 votes for artifacts, writing.
>>
>>4922415
>>4922453

>You run out the door, pushing Tillia because she's a bitch and also tiny. You dash down the hallways and skid around corners. Looks like everyone is in a panick, going for different things. You grab a backpack from a storage closet and dart into the artifact archives. Here is where all the artifacts, lore books, spellbooks, and general learning stuff is stored. It's basically barren. Looks like all the older apprentices got here first and cleared it out.
>There are two bodies here, one dead the other almost dead. The almost dead one is an apprentice like you, looks like a gut stab wound. The other looks to be higher Tier mook who probably died in the fighting over the more powerful artifacts. All his loot is gone and his body is half dissolved. He'll probably be a bit peeved when he's resurrected at Tier 1 in the shrine one town over.
>Two Tier 3 apprentices are still here, slicing each other up over a staff of some sort. You aren't getting in on that, you'd die for sure. You have enough time to grab 4 artifacts. You'll need one for healing, one for lethal combat, one for non-lethal combat, and one for everyday utility.

Which would you like to be your Tier 2 artifact?
1: Healing (heal more often or heal heavier wounds)
2: Lethal (deal more damage or deal damage more often)
3: Non-Lethal (contain enemies, or prevent them from attacking so that you can speak to them or interrogate them)
4: Utility (make everyday life easier for yourself)

Write in

Note: You can only carry and use up to 3 artifacts at your current Tier, meaning you will either have to hand one out to a mook or companion or absorb it into yourself to get a lesser version of its ability for your own use.
>>
>>4922467
>2: Lethal (deal more damage or deal damage more often)
We are going to need this for now
>>
>>4922476
It's been an hour, so I'll accept this one. Writing.
>>
>>4922467
>>4922577

>Rushing down the lethal weapons isle you find a broken cabinet with a Tier 2 piercer in it. You take it.

A Tier 2 Piercer is a wooden gun shaped wand that fires out a cone of energy, putting a hole in something and causing a Major wound once a day. When used against enemies that don't know it's coming it's a guaranteed hit. While in combat or overly stressed it has a 50% chance to hit + 10% for each Tier of the user (this is standard) At Tier 1 this is 60%. (note that this weapon cannot be used by Tier 1 mooks, but it can be used by Tier 1 companions, adventurers, and evil guys)

Darting down the other isles you get a Tier 1 potion of healing, a Tier 1 wand of binding, and a Tier 1 spice pack.

Potion of healing - drink once a day to heal a minor wound
Wand of binding - once a day stick one thing to another thing, take 1 combat round, or about 10 seconds to unstick things. Things will remain stuck together for 24 hours after casting unless deliberately unstuck
Spice pack - increase the tastiness of 1 mean each day. Useful if you want to keep people happy, especially if you're on the road eating trail rations.

>The vault is well looted, you scrounge up 2000 gold 'coins'. They're actually fairly thin gold ovals about the side of a thumb print, but they're the accepted currency in all lands after the God's War.
>The fortress is nearly empty by the time you reach the food storage silo. You load up on hard tack and a couple water skins. Enough for 3 people to live for a week.
>Finally you make you way down to the mook barracks. Only the most undesirable mooks are left.

A thief that can't pick locks
A ranger who gets lost in the woods
A bandit that's too nice to rob people
An animal tamer who can only tame bunnies
A summoner who can only summon 1 weak imp who really does no damage and is just annoying
A healer who hasn't learned any heal spells
An engineer who only knows how to make paper airplanes

Pick 2, write in what you say to convince them to come with you.
>>
>>4922614
>A summoner who can only summon 1 weak imp who really does no damage and is just annoying
>An engineer who only knows how to make paper airplanes

>"Join me and I will make your unrealized potential blossom into truly fearsome abilities!"
>"Or you know, stay here and get killed by the heroes, ressurect a few towns away and be forced to pick up litter by the wayside for three months while people point and laugh at you. Your choice"

I'm a sucker for the minion/turret character archetype, and now you're just going to hand me both at the same time as minions? Don't mind if I do!
>>
>>4922628
Time's up, accepted. Writing.
>>
>>4922614
>>4922733

>You sit down on the bench between the summoner and the engineer. Looking over at their downcast faces you begin speaking softly, "Join me. Join forces with me and I will help you both to realize your true potential. Here no one took you seriously, they didn't take me seriously either.
>"But.
>"We.
>"Are.
>"Better than that.
>"The three of us, together, will show the world what we're made of."
>You stand, grinning, "Or you could sit here, get your heads chopped off by the heroes, and end up picking up litter for the next three months. Your choice."
>The pair look at each other as a boom sounds out at the front gate.
>"Minions of the Lich Lord Lysanderoth, surrender now and your sentences will be light! Struggle and you will be cut down where you stand!" The deep, proud voice of what is no doubt a paladin booms through the compound. No doubt most of the townsfolk would surrender. They'd probably get a small fine, since they're just the support staff. It's you shmucks in the fortress itself that'll get the hard (read: boring) time.
>"We'll take your offer!" The engineer jumps up.
>"Anywhere's better than here!" The summoner agrees.

Options:
Head out the postern gate: Guaranteed to avoid the adventurers, but you'll have to navigate the spooky woods before you can decide where you want to go.
Sneak past the adventureres (dice+1d10 on a 2 or lower you encounter the adventurers, but you can get out the front gate and don't have to worry about getting lost in the woods)
Remember you can write in.
>>
>>4922734
>Head out the postern gate: Guaranteed to avoid the adventurers, but you'll have to navigate the spooky woods before you can decide where you want to go.
Spooky woods sounds like it has loot in it so may as well. Also can we drag Greg with us? He seems pretty cool.
>>
>>4922733
>Head out the postern gate: Guaranteed to avoid the adventurers, but you'll have to navigate the spooky woods before you can decide where you want to go.
Adversity builds character. You just have to pick the adversity that is the least likely to kill you.
>>
>>4922754
>>4922756
Two votes for the same option, accepted. Writing.
Also, we should start thinking about what kinds of creatures we and our companions are. Options for races include Tolkien-esk fantasy creatures (goblins, orcs, dwarves, elves, etc.), "Monsters" (pure fox kitsune, bugbears that can speak, living shadows), and monster-humanoid combinations (monstergirls, elf-shadow people, harpys, etc.) While our current entourage has no special species abilities, these will come into play later.
>>
>>4922785
I say that our unnamed character be a living suit of armour, our engineer a person made out of wood and our summoner may be a Eastern European.
>>
>>4922785
Since we picked up magic wands, I'd peg us either as an Elf or a half-blood human-kitsune/fae folk giving us an apptitude for magic. A Goblin Engineer is a classic, and I do like the Magical Armour idea Anon has. Maybe our Summoner is a Shadow Creater magically bound to suit of armour.
>>
>>4922809
It’s a gun wand, what’s cooler than a living suit of armour carrying a gun wand?
What are the chances that we can turn it into a wand rifle in the future?
>>
>>4922815
Ah, artifacts cannot be altered after creation, so you wouldn't be able to turn it into a rifle wand, but you could purchase one or get one off an Adventuring Sniper.

>>4922801
>>4922809
Also, I'm not adverse to romance and even potentially a side chapter with explicit sex, so if that's something you're interested in consider that while choosing the characters. Though I can probably make any pairing work because magic, I don't gotta explain shit. I probably will though, because I'm just like that.
>>
>>4922824
Don’t worry, this is a bro trip.
>>
File: 61GDECm2ATL.jpg (123 KB, 1280x720)
123 KB
123 KB .jpg
>>4922815
Okay yeah, admittedly a living suit of armour equipped with a magical minigun would be cool as hell. You've sold me on that, Main Character - Living Suit of Armour. His name is also Alphonse, for totally no reason at all.
I still want something more traditional for the Summoner though, like in the vein of pic related. Just a shadowy pressence dressed in robes I think would fit nicely.

>>4922824
>Ah, artifacts cannot be altered after creation
So our wands are more like MagiTech items that rely on an internal magical power source as opposed to just relying on our own Magical Abilities? Cool, now I am happy I picked up that Engineer, he can construct cool artifacts for our own fortress when he gets some experience under his belt.
>>
>>4922833
>I still want something more traditional for the Summoner though
Floating robes then? Why don’t we just make all of our companions animate objects and create an evil toy company
>he can construct cool artifacts for our own fortress when he gets some experience under his belt.
Going with the toy idea how about an army of nutcrackers equipped with guns? Sounds funny as fuck.
>>
>>4922836
The absolute ridiculousness of having an evil toy factory that produces endless lines of Toy Soldiers, Magical Artillery and MagiTech weapons for our Summons is just way to good, it has to be done now.

So our last party member is the Wooden Toy Engineer. This is just fantastic. The Heroes won't know what hit them.
>>
>>4922846
Basically the droid army at that point Kek
>>
>>4922734
>>4922785

>Your new mooks scramble to stuff some clothes and necessities into their traveling packs. With a jolt you dart into the mook bathroom and steal a couple rolls of toilet paper. Never forget the toilet paper when you're going out into the woods, that's a bad time.
>As you exit the bathroom you notice that Greg is here. He's loaded down with food and has a pair of wands stuffed into his robe pockets. He appears to have convinced the ranger and the thief to join him.
>"Well, it's good to see you haven't died yet, Greg." You say, smiling at him.
>"Ah, it's a pleasure to see you too. I was hoping that one of the other apprentices would be around." Greg pulls his pairing knife, "So why don't you hand over all the gold in your pack, eh? We both know I'm the better knife fighter."
>You grin, this is pretty normal among the apprentices. It's practically how you say hello. You draw your piercer and aim it in his general direction, "Good thing this isn't a knife fight then, eh?"
>Greg chuckles and re-sheaths his knife, "Fair enough. Truce until tomorrow? Knew I should have gone for artifacts first, but I figured I'd live longer if I had more food. I'm planning on camping out for a while until the heat dies down."
>"Truce until tomorrow, you little hellion." You pocket your piercer.
You and Greg have entered into a truce until tomorrow at dawn. This will remain in effect unless something drastic changes the circumstances because Greg is Trustworthy (or at least as trustworthy as a Bad Guy Apprentice can be)
>"You heading out the postern?" Greg asks as he heads out the door. You and the four mooks follow behind, "Yeah."
>The fortress is empty by now except for the staff. They'll probably surrender when the adventurers get here. There's a booming outside in the town. Probably one of the higher Tier apprentices thought they could pick one of the adventurers off and is now fighting them, which is good. It gives you more time to escape.
>The dirt yard behind the fortress is empty and so are the stables. The postern gate was left open and it looks like a slime has found its way in and is currently eating some garbage. It's not blocking the way so you step around the creature and walk past it. There was nothing interesting inside it that you could see. Outside the gate are the woods, filled with spooks and scares. As your small group moves into the woods you hear and cackling and a clattering behind you. Looking over your shoulder you barely manage to dodge a cart pulled by two horses. As the cart charges off into the woods you see Tillia.
>That clever bitch must have been stockpiling artifacts, food, and gold for just this occasion! Devious, you wish you had thought of it. As you take another step you enter into the fog laden forest, Greg and the four mooks at your side. You are now Lost In the Spooky Woods. Turning around reveals only more fog and woods. This is the magic of this ancient forest.
>>
>>4922861
Options:
Pick a random direction and go that way (dice+1d10 On a 0 you encounter a monster, on a 9 you get out of the woods, everything else you're lost for half a day, you must roll if you pick this option)
Talk with Greg and/or the mooks (write in, and no, none of them know how to navigate in the woods, especially the ranger who gets lost)
Fuck it, let's set up shop here! (not a great idea, since you have no tools)
>>
>>4922863
>Search around for anything to loot
May as well if it’s going to take awhile to get out of here.
>>
>>4922863
>See if Tillia dropped anything out of her cart as she passed you, that little slut never had the patients to doing things properly. Maybe she forgot to tie down the cargo properly.
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>4922873
>>4922887
It's been an hour, so I'll accept these, rolling for wood encounter. Writing.
>>
File: 1414996238468.jpg (6 KB, 198x201)
6 KB
6 KB .jpg
>>4922929
Magnificent success.
>>
>>4922929
Huh, I forgot that d10's roll from 1 to 10, not 0 to 9. I'll count this one as a max score. (so a 9, looks like we're getting out of the woods first thing)
>>
>>4922863
>>4922929

>"Let's follow Tillia's cart. She might had dropped something, or have a compass out of this place." The six of you set off.
>A couple hours later you spot something gold on the ground. Bending down you pick up a Lucky Coin.
Lucky coins are a Tier 1 artifact that take up no slots, meaning you can use them along with any other artifacts that you're able to use. Once a day you can choose to reroll a critical failure. You may only do this if the person with the lucky coin is integral to the action, not if the person with the lucky coin is merely helping the person who critically failed.
>It must have fallen off Tillia's cart. An, oh look, there's Tillia's cart right over there! Looks like she crashed. The six of you rush over. The cart was picked pretty clean, and the horses are gone. Looks like they took off on foot. Among the debris you find the parts for a hand crossbow. That'll be useful once you get ahold of a book called Engineering for Dummies (a Tier 1 engineering artifact). You and Greg also collect 400 gold that spilled from the cart, splitting it evenly. You now have 2200 gold.
>You are out of the woods.
>"Hey, I'm going to head for Wheelstone." Greg says, "I figure a small wheat farming village will make for a good start. Where are you going to head?"

Options:
An abandoned Inn along the king's highway: Very easy to find, but some passive money generation.
A small town called Beetsville: They'll be very happy to finally have their own badguy, probably willing to give you a loan.
The city of Brik: Lots of materials at affordable prices, but you'll probably end up in a basement or sewer. Could attract stronger adventurers at first (1 Tier 2 and 3 Tier 1 instead of 4 Tier 1 adventurers for first adventurer encounter)
A dungeon in the foothills around the Lich's fortress: Have to get through a fair number of encounters before it will be cleared out, but will already be carved out for you rather than having to build your own lair.
Follow Tillia into the mountains (Warning, Tillia has a party of 6 with at least 1 Tier 2 mook)
>>
>>4922950
>An abandoned Inn along the king's highway: Very easy to find, but some passive money generation.
We should stay away from highly populated areas for now until we get a bit stronger.
>>
>>4922950
>An abandoned Inn along the king's highway: Very easy to find, but some passive money generation.
"Welcome to the Dollhouse Inn and Wayside Restaurant, what can I do you for today?"
>>
Rolled 1 (1d3)

>>4922967
>>4922989
Two votes, going with it. Rolling for encounter. Writing.

1: Easy
2: Medium
3: Hard
>>
>>4923003
Our luck is unrivalled
>>
>>4922950
>>4923003
>"I'm going to head for that old abandoned inn on the kingsroad. Hit me up if you're ever in the area!" You wave as you and Greg split up.
>"Mahstah." Your summoner hisses from the darkness of his-her-it's robes, "I hope you do not intend to make us scullery maids. You promised glory and potential realized."
>"Yeah." The... well, she used to be a goblin, now she's more magitech machine than woman, says, taking a drag off a cigarette that seemed to never get smaller, "I ain't no bar girl, if'n ya couldn't tell." She indicates her not-exactly-aesthetically-pleasing body.
>"Don't worry, we'll hire some civvies for that kind of stuff. If I get some rare ingredients we might even turn a small profit on the side. I'm a bad guy, not a bar owner." You push open the door to the inn.
>There, standing at the center of the main floor, among the broken and ancient chairs and tables is a Feral Rat Man (Tier 1 Mook). His crazed eyes squint at the light, then he hisses and attacks!

Options:
Send your mooks to fight it (80% chance to kill, 40% chance of mooks receiving wounds)
Fight it all together! (90% chance to kill, 25% chance of you or mooks receiving wounds)
Use Piercer (60% chance to inflict major wound, 40% you miss and it inflicts a minor wound on your or one of the mooks)
Retreat! (guaranteed retreat, the Feral Rat Man will not follow you outside, but he may set up an ambush inside)
Remember you can write in. You cannot give orders while also performing combat actions.
>>
>>4923018
>Write in - Have our summoner bring in the very annoying imp and send it in the hassle the Rat Man
Then
>Fight it all together! (90% chance to kill, 25% chance of you or mooks receiving wounds)
Hopefully the Very Annoying Imp will draw the attention of the Rat Man even if it can't really fight.
>>
>>4923042
Support
Gang up on em!
>>
Rolled 9, 4 = 13 (2d20)

>>4923042
>>4923047
Two votes. Accepted. Rolling.
First roll is a d20, anything except a 1 kills the rat
second roll is wounds, anything higher than 4 means no wounds. 4 wounds the summoner, 3 wounds the engineer, 2 wounds you, and 1 wounds all three.
>>
>>4923018
>>4923064

>"Bring out the imp, summoner!"
>The summoner brings its arm up and a red skinned imp flies out of the sleeve like a bat out of hell, flapping in the rat man's face and confusing the creature.
>"Get 'im!" You pull your pairing knife and jump a the rat man. The summoner and engineer follow you. The three of you stab repeatedly at the rat man, your tiny knives doing barely any damage.
>His greasy claws rake at your robes but don't make contact until suddenly he kicks out, landing a sold blow to the summoner, launching it across the room and into the wall, where puffs of black smoke escape its hood.
Summoner has taken a minor wound.
>With a wrench the engineer gets behind the rat man and puts it in a full nelson. "Git it baws!"
>You stab repeatedly at the rat man's neck, drawing blood but your knife isn't long enough to get deep. You saw at it and eventually the rat man has lost enough blood to fall to the ground, dead.
>The two of you stand panting in the center of the room. The summoner slowly floats back upright and floats over to you, "Apologies that I could not be of more use~" the summoner hisses.
>"It's fine. You imp distracted it. It could have been worse."
>The ratman begins to dissolve. Above the corpse a higher spirit materializes. "Greetings. You have slain this creature, and so it falls to me to dole out your reward. Let's see. Hmm, not much here." The spirit vanishes, his mission done.
Each of the three of you receive 1143 Exp (Total needed to Tier up is 6000 for mooks and 10000 for you)
>A single artifact falls to the floor along with 1432 gold.
The artifact is a Tier 1 ring of Step Ladder. While wearing this ring the owner man take up to three steps upward at an angle. This can help them get over obstacles or see into slightly taller spaces, or get things off high shelves. Ladder can only hold double owners weight before 'collapsing.'
You already are caring 1 too many items. It is advisable that you either distribute or absorb 2 of your artifacts, as you cannot activate any artifacts while carrying too many.
Reminder of current items:
Tier 2 Piercer
Tier 1 Health potion
Tier 1 Wand of binding
Tier 1 Spice pack
Tier 1 Right of Step Ladder

>Your goblin engineer looks around, "Naht much here, boss. I think only the bones of the building are really sound. We'll have to replace basically everything sooner rather than later."
>You look around. Yeah, the place is pretty run down. All the wood is bent or warped or squeaky. It's still probably water tight, but it won't stay that way. You'll need to clean it up.
>You look outside, it's nearing sunset. Took you half a day to get out of the woods and another half a day to get here.
>You'll need to spend the night.
>Looking over at the summoner something hits you, "I don't know your guy's names."
>>
>>4923118
Options:
Suggest names for our engineer and our summoner
Who should get what artifacts? Should you or they absorb them, or should you just store some?
Should you give the summoner the healing potion? (will refill 24 hours after consumption)
>>
>>4923120
Give the step ladder to the engineer and the spare we have can go to the sorcerer.
Also no potion, she can sleep it off.
>>
>>4923120
>Give Step Ladder artifact to our Goblin, she'll need it to reach places when she starts building things.
>Give health potion to our Summoner, because our two minions are important to us

As for names, I'm thinking something Arabic for our Summoner, playing on the feel of a Genie that a magical shadow in a robe would give off. Nehme or Rayyan maybe?
For our Gobbo though I am stumped.
>>
>>4923179
I thought the summoner was a former goblin and now a floating cloak? Also I agree with the Arabic part.
As for our woodman engineer, Bob obviously.
>>
>>4923154
>>4923179
Accepted, writing
Also, note, it takes 1 week to naturally heal from a minor wound. My description of the injury was a bit lackluster, so I can see why you would assume that it was a bump rather than, like, a minor concussion.
>>
>>4923120
>>4923188

>"Bob, or Bobby. Yes, it's short for something. Nah, I'm not gonna to tell you what." You magitech cyborg goblin engineer says, picking up the Ring of Step Ladder, "You mind if I keep this?"
>"Go ahead, I don't think I or..."
>"Nehme(pronounced Nah-Mee), mas~ter." The shadow wraith hisses out of its cloak.
>You hand it the heling potion, "I don't think Nehme or I really need it. Hold onto this for me. Do you know how to cook?"
>"I eat misted water infused with hatred."
>"Er, do we have any of that?"
>"I packed enough for a week. It's not difficult to get, you can find it in the international food aisle of any big grocery stores~"
>"Cool, what do you eat, Bobby?"
>"Your mother." The goblin snarks from where she's using her new ring to reach for what appears to be a very dusty bottle sitting high up on a shelf. Finally she pulls it down, "Whew, Looky here bossman. Fine vintage." She pries the cork out of the bottle letting out some noxious fumes. Whatever it is is half sediment and half pure ethanol by now, you'd guess.
>Nehme has popped a little sprayer attachment to the health potion and is spraying it into it's hood.
>"Y'all want some?" Bobby has already taken a swig, "It's almost potent enough to make me forget that I just lost my old job. You're paying us for this, right?"

Options:
Drink with Bobby and Nehme: You'll be drunk tonight and hungover tomorrow (possibility of encounter while in these states is 10%) but you will increase your relationship with your two mooks.
Clean the bar room: Get a head start on cleaning up the Inn so that you can finish faster (cannot be done while drunk)
Explore the Inn: Maybe there's something else dangerous in here? (chance of encounter 5%, can do while drunk, but beware)
>>
>>4923213
>Clean the bar room: Get a head start on cleaning up the Inn so that you can finish faster (cannot be done while drunk)
We're an industrious little evil thing, the faster we get the Inn up and running the faster we have a font for making some cash, and the faster we get cash the faster we can build our Evil Toy Empire. Our minions can slack off for now, they earned that freebie from the fight, but we will expect them to be presentable tomorrow when we start the real renovation work.
>>
>>4923221
Support
Maybe we should head to town to pick up that engineering book, assuming we can buy one of course.
>>
>>4923221
>>4923223
Two votes, writing.
>>
>>4923223
Yeah, getting the engineering book and building materials would be priority right now, maybe some additional supplies so we can stay out here a little while more.
>>
>>4923232
We might be able to build a toy soldier relatively soon but full atomization is far off. Plus we need to find a good place to make a lair.
How about somewhere cold? Like Santa’s workshop with all the decorations and stuff but instead of joy it spreads carnage?
>>
>>4923235
A small workshop, either in a sub-basement of the Inn or nearby in a good concealed location will do for now. It has to be just big enough that we can start small scale production locally, nothing automatized, while we look for a more permanent location to set up in. Best case scenario we can have our Toys run the Inn completely, so we can save on resources as we don't need to hire an outside workforce. This will also negate the risk of an outsider stumbling in on our operations.

As for future lair locations, we'd want it somewhere with easy access to resources we need to run the factory so we can remain largely independent from outside supply. Our best bet is to set up in mountainous terrain with large forests nearby, preferably in a mountain range with some sort of mineral wealth and a good stream that we can utilize to power machinery in the actual factory.

With a road-side Inn on what can be assumed to be a somewhat busy road, we are bound to get some traveling merchants that pass by, so we should see about acquiring some maps and listen in for juicy rumors on newly found mineral veins and similar things.
>>
>>4923213
>>4923230

>You wave, "Yes, you're being paid, but no, I don't want any spirits, I'll get some of this clean tonight. You two have fun though." You grab an ink pen and parchment from your bag, "Oh, and get me a list of what you need, we'll be going into town soon-ish."
>"Alright, bossman." The goblin tilts the bottle at Nehme, "You want some?"
>"C~ertainly." It puts the now empty potion vial on the table. Bobby fills it with liquor and the Nehme slaps the sprayer on it, squirting some alcohol into its hood. "This~ is very alcoholic. Are you certain your fragile mortal body can handle it?"
>"Please, mah momma brews shine that could peel the paint off a battleship, this is nothin.'"
>You begin by tossing some of the driest rotted wood into the fireplace at the side of the room and get a fire going to both light the room and to keep it warm in the cool early fall night.
>The rest of the rotted wood makes its way out to the wood shed off to the side of the building. There's also an outhouse there that you use before getting back to work.
>Mostly you just haul wood, but you also find some usable glassware. A couple cups, a plate that's only a little chipped, and half a dozen shot glasses that Bobby commandeers after you rinse them off with the water pump outside.
>The building is old enough that there's no modern magitech plumbing, so it looks like you're roughing it for a while.
>Eventually the front room is as clean as you can get it without a broom and mop. You lay out your sleeping bag and climb in. A shower would be nice, your clothes, as well as your mooks' clothes have blood and sweat stains on them. You'll also need a shower, or a bath. But that's for tomorrow.

You feel SATISFIED at the work accomplished today.
You feel LONELY listening to Bobby and Nehme bond.
You feel GROSS from sweat and blood.
Bobby and Nehme are CONCERNED at their future prospects.
Bobby and Nehme have BONDED and are now Tier 1 collogues. They will gain a very small bonus when working together.
Bobby is HAPPY to have some booze in her.
Nehme is GREATFUL for the potion.

>In the morning you awaken at dawn since you went to bed early. Bobby and Nehme are still asleep. Nehme has chosen to sleep on an old coat rack. Must be comfortable for a shadow wraith inhabiting a robe or something. There is a small list sits on the counter.

Stuff we could use:
Better weapons (ranged and melee)
Better armor
Engineering for dummies
Summoning for dummies
More booze
Some candy

Options:
Clean the rest of the downstairs (half a day)
Explore the basement and attic (unknown timeframe)
Go into town (full day)
Go to dungeon (full day, perhaps more)
Return to Lich's lair (half day)
Hang out with Bobby and Nehme (half day)
>>
>>4923273
>Rinse ourselves off with the Water Pump outside before we go into town (if there's a bucket outside we can just fill it and dump it over us real fast to get rid of some of the smell)
>Go into town (full day)
>Leave a note behind for our minions, don't wake them
>"Gone to town for supplies. Can not promise new weapons or armor, building materials for the Inn are priority. Will get books if available, maybe some low/medium quality booze (best I can do on a budget) and something sugary if I'm not broke from other spending. Clean the ground floor while I am gone, and explore the basement if you are feeling brave."
>Leave two piles of 75 gold each (or whatever is a half reasonable weekly pay for a level 1 mook) on the table next to the note
>>
>>4923286
Support
Let’s see these prices
>>
>>4923286
>>4923295
Alrighty then. I'll put the game portion here so it can be discussed and decided on while I work on the RP portion.
As stated in Da Rulez: Tier 1 artifacts (which the books count as) are 2000 gold each.
Mook pay is Tier * 100 gold a week, so half a week's pay for Bobby and Nehme is 50 gold each.
Weapon's are one month's pay each (that's 400 gold for mooks, and 800 for YOU because big bads use specialized weapons. You can use a mook weapon, but you will count as a mook for the purposes of combat if you choose to do so.)
Light armor is 2 months pay.
Medium is 4.
Heavy is 8.
Yes, armour is also specialized. There's a reason that Bad guys have a 90% win rate against an adventurer of the same tier.
You have a Tier 1 base (shack) and you want it to be a Tier 2 base (proper building)
For pricing I'll say that a base and a Bad guy cost the same to Tier up, meaning it's approx. 10,000 gold.
Now obviously you can't afford that. So, to just patch up the place we'll call it Monthly upkeep * number of rooms. For a Tier 1 base this is 200 gold * number of rooms you want to fix. You haven't explored the full Inn yet, but I can assume you are going to want a room for yourself, the main room, the kitchen, and either 1 or 2 rooms for your mooks, so that's 800 or 1000 gold.

That doesn't include labor costs. Tack on an additional 1/3 the price if you want it done for you, or you can buy Building for Dummies which is a Tier 1 artifact for 2000 gold and will allow you to fix up 1 room each day. (helpers make this quicker, but you need 3 helpers for each additional room, which you don't currently have. You could hire some urchins, but they'll cost the same as a mook, which is the lowest pay basically anyone can get because this is a utopia.)

Any questions?
>>
>>4923312
Oh yeah, you currently have 3432 gold, or 3332 after giving your mooks some spending money
>>
>>4923312
Right, so assuming all the Gold from the kill on the Rat Man went to us we have 2200+1432 = 3632 Gold on us right now (we picked up 200 extra from Tillas wrecked cart). Leaving one weeks full pay for both Bob (Name pending) and Nehme we'd be bringing 3432 gold with us to town. This can net us:

- One Skill Book: 2k Gold, preferably Engineering for Dummies
- Main Room, Kitchen, One Room for Us and the mooks (we'll unfortunately have to share a room to save on money), one room for travelers: 800 Gold
- Cost of Labour: 272 gold
- Supplies for the Kitchen and treats for our minions: Unknown
- Total Cost: 3072 + Supplies
- Funds Left: 360 - Supplies

The book is expensive, but the faster we can make little toy minions to run the inn for us the faster we can leave it to run itself and make us money while we focus on other things, so I believe it to be worth it. I'd want to keep at least 200 gold in reserve so we can pay our mooks for another weak at least, so that'd put us on a budget of 160 gold for kitchen supplies and treats. The alternative is that we drop the Skill Book entierly and focus more on restoring the inn and getting some gear for our mooks. This would set us back in terms of making minions, but would ensure we have a proper inn for travelers which would raise or income as we get more customers and give us a larger rainy-day fund if things go sour. Ultimately I think what I've outlined already is the way forward here, unless anyone else has any input.

>Any questions?

Do the cost of restoring rooms at the inn include cost of furniture aswell?
Can we sell the parts for the Hand Crossbow for any worthwhile amount of money in town?
How does the spice pack work exactly? Will it have the same effect if we say, add it to a large cauldron of soup as it would have if we added it to a single serving of pasta? Will it refill every 24 hours just like the Health Potion? Can we pour out the contents into a container on a day when we're not using it and have it retain it's taste-increasing properties?
>>
>>4923348
(forgot about the gold from the cart, good catch)
The cost of rooms gives the room Tier 1 furniture. Think, like, camp chairs and cots and whatnot. You can upgrade the Tier of the furniture for an amount of money that I will determine later, probably some multiple of cleaning up or Tiering up the room itself. This means that the kitchen will come with a couple pots, pans, utensils, etc. Enough to cook and serve up to 5 people at once, though it's not gonna make any particularly good dishes.

Also, rooms, like mooks, can hold/use a number of artifacts equal to their Tier and up to their Tier in power.

The hand crossbow parts go for about 100gold. Properly assembled it'll go for 200. If you can somehow convince a respected crossbow maker to sell it you can get 300 for it (the seller take a minimum 25% cut unless you rob him), but that will be hard unless you want to threaten him, but you probably don't want to get heat on your so soon.

The spice pack will refill every 24 hours just like the health potion. The spice pack has exactly enough spice to spice one dish for one person(no matter how big or small that dish is, so long as it only counts as one meal for one person), so you can't do the soup idea. While you can't pour out the spice into a container to preserve it you can use it on a food item that you then preserve. For example, you could spice your hard tack and since hard tack keeps basically forever you could stock up on spiced hard tack. You could also use it on meat that you are going to freeze or smoke, or in soup that you then freeze.

Food and treats are fairly cheap. A mook's pay of 100 gold will give them room and board for the week as well as some spending money. I think food for a week for a mook is, like, 15 gold, so let's say that food for anyone for a week is 15% of their weekly pay.

You can get some Tier 1 mook booze and candy for 5 gold, Tier 2 to really treat them for 10 gold. Though since these are treats and not general purpose food it's only for 1 day, though it'll probably keep them happy for the week. It's addictions that you have to watch out for, though I think they probably won't come up anytime soon.

Any other questions? Have I contradicted myself anywhere? I'm trying to keep this simple so we don't get bogged down in numbers too much.
>>
>>4923363
So the Crossbow parts we have are enough to assemble it if we just have the know how to do it, yes? In that case it's worth holding on to so our Gobbo Engineer can assemble that as her first successful construct.

Assuming three meals a day with the cost of 15 gold a week, 150 Gold's worth of Kitchen Supplies would put us at 210 total servings. Minus 63 servings for us and our mooks puts us at 147 servings for customers for the first week, that ought to be enough to hold us over for the first week and a half before we need to resupply. Get a Tier 2 treat for our mooks too so they can feel appreciated and we end up on exactly 200 gold left, enough for next weeks pay. That sounds solid enough.

A few questions about MagiTech constructs:

You'd need a power source for the construct, a MagiTech Core if you will. I assume they're available for sale somewhere since (I assume) we can't make them ourselves at the moment?
Does the material that is used to create MagiTech gear require special preparation, or can you slap a MagiTech Core into anything as long as you've configured it properly?
If we were to attempt to create an automaton, how crude would it's programming be? Could we make an independent Chef, Waiter or Front Desk Attendant that could perform it's job relatively independently with our current skill level?
>>
>>4923395
Magitech stuff (artifacts) are specially made. They require 3 things. 1: A an item that has been 'enchanted.' Basically a specialist writes down the instructions of what the item is supposed to do. Enchanters are highly specialized both in what materials they will enchant and what enchantments they know. 2: A godstone. This acts both as power source and as a connection to the god, spirit, etc. that will be called upon to perform the enchantment. You can buy a godstone from a temple. Certain godstones only work with certain enchantments. Godstones are given to priests by the gods or spirits themselves for doing things that the gods like. It's rare but occasionally a god will give a godstone in return for a service a regular person renders them. 3: A willing god connected to the godstone to read the enchantment and enact it upon the world. If you were to steal a godstone from a holy blade and put it on another sword and try to use it for evil then the god would come down, read the enchantment, and just nope right out of there, perhaps even detonating the godstone in the hand of the thief.
Getting a custom magitech item made will usually run you 50% more than just buying one off the shelf.

Now, for automatons you need 2 pieces. It is currently impossible to create a purely magitech automaton. Or, at least, one that isn't 500 feet tall. The enchanters simply can't write small enough to put all the necessary instructions in to do that. So the way around that is to construct an artifact body and then bind a semi-sapient creature's soul to it. Your summoner can start summoning semi-sapient creatures at Tier 2, though they can only have so many going at a time. At Tier 1 all summons will be animal in intelligence. At higher Tiers they will eventually be able to summon souls that can control multiple automatons at once.

It's for this reason that automatons aren't really used that much. Most prefer to simply use summons, or human hirelings. But it IS possible, and one of the best parts is that with replicable bodies these automatons can be quite useful in combat, since as one body dies the spirit or soul can possess a new one. Though this will tire them out and eventually they will have to rest before possessing a new body.

So until you reach Tier 2 you're not going to have any robots working for you, unfortunately. All that make sense, I didn't mix anything up?
>>
>>4923348
What does absorbing artifacts do?
>>
>>4923456
Absorbing artefacts: In order to Tier up a person must absorb at least 1 artefact. When a person absorbs an artifact they gain the ability to perform the spell or 'ability' that the artefact contained, though not as powerfully. For example: absorbing a wand of minor wound healing that can be cast once a day will result in the person who absorbed it being able to cast the spell once a week.
>>
>>4923273
>You rise from your sleeping bag and stumble around the room. You wish you had thought to bring coffee... and a coffee pot... and a coffee press. You look around. It's going to take a lot of money to make this place even relatively usable. It would be fine though, you had plenty of gold, though you'd have much less once you fixed up some stuff. You consider selling one or two of your artifacts, but you might need them later.
>Best think about it once you're in town. You leave 50 gold each for Bobby and Nehme. You'd give them the second half of this week's pay at the end of the week.
>First things first you wash your clothes in the cold water, shivering your butt off in the morning chill. Then you wash yourself off as best you can before hot stepping your way back inside to warm up by the fire you stoke back to a blaze.
>Half an hour later you're out the door all warm and dry and no longer smelling of sweat and blood. A two hour walk down the road is a town by the name of hastings. It's a small town, being so close to the Lich's Lair. Primarily it acted as a way for merchants to sell goods to the Lich without actually having to go into the fortress town.
>As you approach the town you sigh. You can see her from here.
>Tillia.
>It was pretty easy to spot her, what with her being the only drider (or arachne) east of a fellhorn mountains. She's smoking using one of those opera style cigarette holders.
>Standing, arms folded, behind her is a tall man with a ugly face, an ogre, probably Tier 2 if you had to guess.
>She perks up as she sees you, and strides elegantly forwards, he blonde hair blowing out in a gust of wind, revealing her sharp, scheming eyes. Like all driders (that you'd seen in books) she appeared like a woman seated on a mobile throne made of a giant spider. She stands taller than you, though you're fairly tall, even for a mutt (person with less than 50% of any one pure race's blood in them)
>"Well, I knew one of you would show up sooner or later. I'm glad you were quick."
>"Fuck off Tillia, I don't have time for your bullshit."
>"Oh please, you'll want to hear this. Let me guess, you were 'caught unaware' when our master died and now you're scrounging for scraps."
>"I'm doing well enough on my own, thank you."
>"You're no doubt holed up in a shack and already hurting for cash, while I began preparing my fortress months ago." Tillia makes grand, sweeping gestures with her hands, just like you were taught to do in the class on monologuing.
>"Well congratu-fucking-lations, T, you were able to predict the future!" You wave little jazz hands.
>"Anyone with half a brain could have seen that Master Lysanderoth wasn't long for this world. He put his earthly affairs in order over a year ago. One he got the death mark at the very least you should have seen it coming."
>"He was a thousand year old Lich Lord! I didn't expect him to die a month after getting the mark! I though I had at least a year!"
>>
>>4923477
>Tillia sighs, "Listen. Pay. Attention. You never were very good at that. Always falling asleep in class, doodling in your notebooks. I don't think I saw you complete your homework yourself even once. You kept bribing Greg or Mike to do it."
>"It's called working smarter, not harder."
>"Puh-lease. I know what kind of dumb shit Mike asked for, and getting newt gonads is significantly harder than balancing a ledger."
>"I'm good with a knife!"
>Tillia snorts, "No you aren't. You messed up at least ten newts before you got them."
>You freeze, "What did you do?"
>She leans down and smiles, whispering, "Did you think you were clever, hiding them in the pig's food? That's where every half-wit thinks to dispose of their bodies. The groundskeeper would have found out in seconds. I tossed the guts into the piranha tanks. They even ate the bones."
>You glare up at the young woman. Younger than you even, "And why would you do that?"
>She giggles, "This face, that you're making right now? That's why. One of the first rules of being a bad guy, always keep 'em guessing. So, guess what I have in store next?"
>"A swift kick in the dick?"
>"You wish. I have a job. Bank heist. I have the entire team that I need for it. But I need a distraction, something to keep the guards off us until we're out. I want you and your rag-tag little group to do something *flashy* for me."
>"Fat chance."
>"Don't be so quick to dismiss me." Tillia growls, "Here's the take. I know you'll probably use your distraction to steal something, but even still, you and your crew get a fair split, even with my team. I, of course, count as two people for splitting purposes, since I'm the mastermind, and I get first pick of the artifacts. But I'll let you have second pick. Sound fair?"
>It was a pretty standard deal, all things considered.
>"And if I refuse?"
>"Then Greg won't. You know he won't, and he'll probably be coming into town here tomorrow. The day after at the latest."

So, what do you do? What do you say?
Last post tonight for me, boys. We'll pick this up a couple hours after I wake up, so call it 11 hours from now.
>>
>>4923478
Accept
>>
>>4923478
>Decline, unless given additional incentive and support for the distraction
>"You're right about one thing, I was never the most attentive or the most clever of the class, but this stinks of a setup from a mile away. You're not looking for a co-conspirator, you're looking for a scapegoat to take the fall while you make away with all the loot. Unless you can give me something up front to prove you aren't just going to flake on me first chance you get, there'll be no deal."
>>
>>4923693
Support
Fuck her
>>
>>4923693
>>4923762
Two votes for demanding payment or collateral dependent on not getting fucked over accepted.

>>4923513
Accept if she offers something of actual value that the character believes means she will honor the deal

Writing.
>>
>>4923478
>>4923825

>You smile your best, 'do I look like an idiot to you' smile, "You really think Greg is going to fall for this? It smells like setup from a mile away. My team and I will conveniently be nowhere near any of the money? We'll just be making a distraction, probably be getting caught because you tipped off the police, and you walk away with all the cash. That sound about right."
>Tillia narrows her eyes, "No, it doesn't. Didn't you learn anything? Rule one is that you don't go back on deals."
>"And rule two is take every advantage you possibly can."
>"We've known each other for eight years. Have you even ever heard of me going back on a deal?"
>"Nope, and yet that somehow doesn't convince me that you won't."
>"You are insufferable."
>"Then I guess we agree on something."
>"I'm glad that you agree that you're insufferable."
>"Oh fu~ck you."
>"I know you want to, but it's not happening."
>"Are you here to flirt or make a deal?"
>"Fine, let's just gloss over the fact that your party's take would be 15,000 gold. How's this. You, yes you, will be on my team, and Royce here," she indicates the ogre behind her, "who is my most important lieutenant will be with your team."
>"So he can kill my team with me not there and you can gang up on me while I'm alone."
>Tillia face palms, "And what would that accomplish? You'd be resurrected over in Brik and then come after me for fucking you over."
>"You have more people than me, I doubt you're worried."
>"FINE!" Tillia pulls something off her finger, a signet ring. "Listen closely. This," she waves the ring, "is my identification signet. It's the only thing that will let me go home. Now, I'm going to give this to you on the understanding that you're going to give it back when the job is over. Take it, go hide it somewhere, I don't care. But if you fucking lose it, or keep it, I will hunt you, I will find you, and there are no gods in this reality or any other that will keep you from me, do you understand?"
>You look down at the signet she shoves into your hand. It is technically a Tier 3 artifact, though the only thing it does is verify that the wearer is part of a particular bloodline.

So, is this enough, or do we still blow her off?
Accept: TILLIA becomes a BUSINESS PARTNER
Decline: TILLIA becomes a SCORNED RIVAL

Also I'll post a recap/summary of the quest each day/session so that anyone coming in fresh can get a handle on what's going on. That'll be the next post while you guys decide on what you want to do. Remember that you ca write in at any time.
>>
Recap/Summary
>YOU are an as yet unnamed Bad Guy
>Your goal is to become a Little Bad Evil Guy
>You were previously an apprentice but your master is dead
>Now you're on your own
>You have taken over an inn as your temporary base
>You have two minions, Bobby the goblin engineer and Nehme the shadow wraith summoner
>You are currently in town to get supplies to make the run down inn livable for the three of you
>Tillia, another apprentice of the Lich Lord and an all round bitch has offered you a part to play in her Bank Heist

>What do? is what we'll find out today.
>>
>>4923921
>Accept: TILLIA becomes a BUSINESS PARTNER
>Take the Signet Ring, and ask for only a T1 mook of her choice instead of the Ogre Lieutenant to accompany our team. That'll be enough to prove her sincerity. We'll stay with our mooks, too.
>Ask when and where we have to be in order to start the plan.
Damn Tillia, I must admit that you've gone above and beyond here to sway me over. I'll have to put my unhealthy paranoia in a box and agree. If this is a trap anyway, it is such a 5d Chess move that I will have to tip my hat in respect for her planning ability.
>>

What about this?

>>Accept the deal
>>Merge with her Artefact while she's not watching

>>Tell her we sealed it for being sure not getting bent, will take 4 weeks for the seal to wear off

We use that time to make a duplicate, now free backdoor to spider bitch place
>>
>>4923930
Supporting >>4923934
>>
>>4923963
It's an artifact, meaning it's connected to a high spirit or a minor god. It would be difficult nearing on impossible to convince the god, and also find someone who could duplicate the ring. Remember, she's literally the only drider on this side of the mountains that you know of, meaning this ring was made very far away and very expensively.

Now, it COULD be done, but like I said, nearly impossible. You'd probably just end up making an enemy for life, which is fine, you are a Bad Guy, after all.
>>
>>4923963
I'd rather not piss off someone that just said she will literally never stop hunting us if we try and screw her over, especially since we are weak ass hell right now. We're getting 15k Gold and some Artifacts already, that's a huge starting capital that we didn't have before. And as she said, you never go back on a deal.
>>
>>4923934
>>4923971
Accepted as first to 2 votes

>>4923963
Thoughts will be reflected in the story.

Writing.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d10)

>>4923921
>>4923996

>You pocket the ring and look back up into Tillia's eyes. She looks... concerned. As well she should. You consider absorbing the ring for its power, but discard the idea, no need to make Tillia an enemy.
>"I'll accept your deal, but I stay with my team, and we don't need a babysitter, just a hostage. I'm sure you have someone expendable that you can lend me."
>"If that is what it takes." Tillia's eyes flash. "The heist will take place at noon on Thursday (it's currently Sunday), your distraction will start the moment the noontime bells start ringing, and my heist will start a few minutes after they stop to make sure the the police are well and truly distracted. You will meet with my man over there." She turns and points to a small grove of trees, "Thursday morning. I'll trust you to figure out how you're going to be a distraction yourself. I assume you're probably just going to rob an artifact store or something. I don't care, so long as it's big, flashy, and keeps the cops off us."
>Tillia turns back to you, "Thursday night, at moonrise we meet at the lightning burned tree some miles up the northern trail. My man will show you the way, though it's not hard to find, since there's just the one trail heading north. Do you have all that?"
>"I can follow simple instructions."
>"Good, you're at least as smart as a small dog. Should I get you a treat?"
>You move your robe aside to reveal your piercer, "Do you want me to shoot you? Because I will."
>Tillia laughs, "Not on the first date. Now, I'm sure we both have business to attend to. Ta~" Tillia begins walking away.
>"You went above and beyond to get me on your team, Tillia... why?"
>Tillia slowly turns, looking you over appraisingly. "I know you. You really think Mike or Greg would be reliable enough for this? Mike would stab me in the back the first chance he got, and Greg's too nice for his own good. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes adventurer. You're a slacker, but you're surprisingly diligent when it comes to your slacking. I trust you, for now. I..." Tillia turns back around. "Thursday, noon, be ready."
>She scuttles off, her ogre trailing behind her.
>You finger the ring in your pocket.
>You turn into town.
>You walk down the road.
>Time to shop.
>>
>>4924026
You acquire Engineering for Dummies (basically all Tier 1 skill books can be found in a basic artifact bookstore)
Rolling a d10 for luck on building materials and labor. 1 means they're a 10% more expensive 10 means they're 10% cheaper than expected.

>While roaming the town looking for deals you scope out potential places to hit. There's the artifact book store. There's an artifact weapon store, and a potion store, and an artifact item store (self knotting rope, extending poles, etc.) There's also a weapon smith, and armor smith, a blacksmith, and a tailor. There's the bank that Tillia is going to rob. There's a church and a temple, but messing with the gods never ends well.

TILLIA is now your BUSINESS PARTNER (until Thursday night)

You also notice two things.
1: Mike (a fellow apprentice) is loitering in an alley
2: There's an explosion on the other side of town

Notes: You can only investigate 1 of these. 2: Where Tillia has always passively been a bitch, Mike is actively antagonistic towards you.
>>
>>4924028
Follow Mike but make he doesn't see us
>>
>>4924055
make SURE
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>4924028
Let’s see what Mike is up to but keep hidden.
Also
>I trust you, for now. I..." Tillia turns back around.
Tsundere already?
>>
>>4924028
Support
>>4924055
>>4924106

Also, can we get an inventory status update?
>>
Rolled 7 (1d10)

>>4924191
Current Inventory:
Tier 2 Piercer (Inflict 1 major wound once a day)
Tier 3 Signet Ring
Tier 1 Wand of Binding (stick 2 things together, take 1 combat round (about 10 seconds) to unstick it by force)

360 Gold

At the Inn:
Tier 1 Pack of Spices
Bobby with a Tier 1 Ring of Stepladder
Nehme with a Tier 1 Potion of Health

On the way to the Inn:
Building materials for 4 rooms
Construction crew
Tier 1 Engineering for Dummies (to be given to Bobby)

I'll accept >>4924106 as the sneak roll for following Mike. Since he's a little paranoid he wins ties, but other than that higher number wins.

>>4924055
>>4924106
>>4924191
Accepted as the action going forward. Roll in this post is Mike's perception. Writing.
>>
>>4924233
uh oh
>>
>>4924233
Oops, forgot
Currently wearing:
Apprentice robes
Regular clothes
Leather gloves
Leather boots
Paring knife
>>
>>4924028
>>4924233

>You casually stroll into the alley while Mike is looking the other way, pulling up the hood on your apprentice robes and stepping into a doorway.
>After several minutes you hear someone else approach from the other end of the alley.
>"Master Atey, it's good to see you again." A voice you recognize as—
>"Callwell, good to see you didn't get hunted down."
>"Any good supplier knows how to keep their head down, Master Atey."
>Callwell, purveyor of illicit substances.
>"I'm sure they do, just didn't expect you to have the same sense. You get what I asked for?"
>"I did, though I doubt you can use it now."
>"I'll actually have a use for it tonight."
>"Busy boy."
>You peek out to see Callwell passing a tiny oilskin pouch to Mike. A very familiar kind of pouch that you'd seen many times before.
>That there is a pouch of DRP, or Date Rape Powder. A brown powder that can be added to teas and beers to make someone who drinks all of it fall unconscious for an hour.
>Most people use it for what it's named after. Bad guys tend to use it for kidnapping.
>Needless to say, it's very illegal.
>Unfortunately at this moment Mike turns his head in your direction. You try to duck back into the doorway, but he catches sight on the hood of your robe.
>"Hey! Who the fuck are you? Get your ass out here!" You hear the drawing of a sword.

What do?
>>
>>4924331
Well, we gotta haul ass and what better way than to confuse him?
Basically, yell out:
>We got him surrounded guys, get him!
and when he starts to look around we run.
>>
>>4924331
>>4924346
Discretion is the better part of Valor, we do this but we also fire the Piercer down the alley. No specific target however, just blind fire to sell the idea that there might be more people ready to attack. As he ducks for cover we try to leave either through the building we're in or through the alleyway. Also try to distort our voice so he doesn't recognize it.
>>
>>4924346
Supporting

>>4924397
Disagree, we may be a bad guy, but making an enemy this soon is a bad idea. IF we go with this, we need to intentionally miss, not blindfire. Also, isn't this wasting a shot?
>>
>>4924483
The intention is not to hit, yes. Simply yelling out will not by us enough time to escape, but if we fire a shot down the alley we give credence to our little ruse that there is an ambush waiting for Mike. He'll be ducking for cover or trying to escape out of the alley, and that'll hopefully will give us a few extra seconds to make a clean getaway without being identified.
>>
>>4924505
I think the yell will accomplish that just fine
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 2, 4 = 12 (4d10)

>>4924346
>>4924397
>>4924483

Accepted. You'll shout that you have him surrounded, throw a rock since you don't want to use your piercer shot just yet, and run for it. You'll also try to change your voice so that he doesn't recognize you.

First roll in this post will be you trying to make him believe he's in trouble
Next roll will be him attempting to see through the deceptions
Roll after that will be you disguising your voice
Final roll will be him trying to recognize your voice

You'll have him on the back foot, so you win ties
Also, the long delay was me taking a nap, but we're back now, probably for a couple hours at least.
>>
>>4924805
>that critfail for Mike
Since he critfailed at seeing through the deception, does he also fail the perception roll when trying to recognize our voice?
>>
>>4924805
Nice! He critically fails to see through your deception, but oh no! He does recognize you!
Writing.
>>
>>4924810
Also, at this point we need a name!

Currently the only thing we know about our character is that you're probably male and that you're a mutt, meaning you're less than half of any 'pure' race.

With the suggestions form earlier I'm thinking he's 1/4 elf, 1/4 human, 1/4 kitsune, and 1/4 fairy.
>>
>>4924816
I'm going to throw my vote behind Alphonse, even if we are a mutt instead of a living suit of armor.
>>
>>4924855
We'll go with Alphonse for now, but the vote for the name will remain up for a while in case we get a better answer.
>>
>>4924816
Still going with Alphonse
Sad we can’t be living armour but a mongoloid sounds fun.
>>
>>4924331

>You grip your piercer in your left hand and bend down to pick up a brick in your other.
>You need to get out of here, and he needs to not follow you.
>Coming out of the shadow the the doorway you aim the piercer at him, and in your best police officer voice you shout, "Mike Atey, we have you surrounded! Surrender or die!"
>"Shit!" Mike grabs Callwell and pulls him around a corner.
>You throw the piece of brick in your hand and it shatters against the corner Mike just went around. Then you turn and start running.
>"I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS, ALPHONSE YOU FUCKING NARK!" You hear screamed at you from the alley as you take a corner and dash away.
>Several streets away you come upon the site of a small explosion. Standing there in the street are several dozen people and fire fighters gathered around the charred ruins of what was once a small alchemy lab.
>The fire fighters are spraying down the still smoking wood with water from their artifacts. The people are chatting. Seems like the explosion only damaged the one building and no one was hurt.
>Off to the side Tillia is speaking with a soot faced young man, probably the alchemist in question. They wander off while you ask around about buying bulk food.
>You're directed to a farmers market at the edge of town, and you ask around about stocking up for an Inn. You also take the time to advertise that the Inn down the road has a room available and will be serving hot food. One of the farmers indicates that they'll stop in for a bite to eat on their way home.

Options:
Buy fresh food: Tastier, but it'll go bad in 2 weeks
Buy treated food: Not as tasty but it'll keep for a couple months
Buy a mix: Best of both worlds, but 10% more expensive since you need to visit multiple vendors.
Write in.
>>
>>4924904
>Buy a mix: Best of both worlds, but 10% more expensive since you need to visit multiple vendors.
>Write in: Buy a cook book too, they're probably not that expensive right?

Since we're not going to have minions that automate the inn for a while, we need to actual learn how to cook. A dreadful thought, I know, but such is the life right now. The Spice Rack can't carry us as it can only be used once every day, so we have to pick up the slack ourselves for now. We can take the 10% price increase since the bank heist will be giving us quite the cash sum before weeks end.
>>
>>4924933
Support
Don’t know if we have enough money to pay them right now but who knows.
Plus we should deal with Mike soon, you think dropping a rock on him will do?
>>
>>4924933
>>4924950

Two votes, accepted. Let's move right along back home, since there are no more quest hooks in town today. Writing.
>>
>>4924950
After buying everything but supplies we have 460 Gold left, I suggested buying supplies worth 150 gold to give us two weeks worth of pay for our mooks in reserve. With the 10% increase it'll cost us 165 for the supplies, and a selection of cook books I assume would run for around 25-35 gold leaving us with about 200 Gold. Half a weeks pay has already been given to our Mooks, so we have 1.5 weeks before they start complaining about lack of pay, but by that time we should've finished with the Heist already so it'd be a non-issue.
>>
>>4924961
Ah-ah-ah, not so fast there bucko. You gots ta pay yourself as well. As a Tier 1 bad guy you're entitled to 200 gold a week to spend on yourself. Failure to do so will stress your character right the fuck out and impact their performance in the field. Now, this shouldn't be a problem, what with the heist, but a lot of QM's treat the MC like some sort of robot that doesn't need to be taken care of. Not me, ya gotta get that self care in, y'know.
>>
>>4924904
>>4924951

>You haggle with the farmers, and eventually you come away with enough food to feed yourself, your mooks, and anyone else that might show up at the inn for the next little while.
>You even manage to negotiate a ride back to the inn with one of the farmers so you don't have to haul all the food. You have to give the guy who gave you a ride a free meal though.
>"This dusty old place?" The farmer asks as you pull up outside the inn, "I remember the old owners. Didn't like being so close to a Lich's Lair, ya know. Most Lich Lords, they like their undead. Now, Lysanderoth was a mite different, as I'm sure you know bein' one o' his apprentices. Preferred living people to walking corpses."
>The two of you begin bringing the food inside. In the main room the construction workers were drinking water from their thermoses while chatting amongst themselves. Looks like they completed their work and are taking a break before returning to town for the night.
>"Hey you two," you greet your minions, "What were you up to all day?"
>"Fishin' boss." Bobby points to the kitchen, where Nehme is cooking half a dozen fish. "Ya headed inta town without us. Dangerous, that. With the old Lich dead some of the folks he was keepin' away will start turning up."
>"Lysanderoth's dead? Huh, this is the first I've heard about it."
>The heroes must not be done in the fortress town yet. Word would get out once they got to town.
>"Th'girl's right, sonny," He turns to you, "'prentices like you will be fodder for every half wit 'venturin' group from here to Brik. If'n I was you, I'd either lay low to get some power afore the guild sends in their cleanup crews and the inevitable wave of young adventurers."
>The food is sorted out in the kitchen along with a small cook book that you purchased as well. Looking over at Nehme cooking the fish you ask, "You know how to cook, Nehme?"
>"I am capable of making some basic meals that do not poison the ones who eat it, though I am told that all of my food is overdone. As I cannot eat solid food myself I really have no frame of reference. Bob attempted to cook the first fish." Nehme points to a small pile of char at the corner of the stove, "Evidently her aptitude with machines does not extend to the humble stovetop."

Options:
Cook for the farmer
Cook for the construction crew (increases goodwill in town, people less likely to rat you out and more spreading of your deeds when you do start doing evil)
Cook for Bobby and yourself (instead of eating more hardtack. Will increase mood)
Leave the cookbook with Nehme with instructions on who to cook for while you do other things
Write in

Roll dice+1d10+1 if you cook, and just a 1d10 if you get Nehme to cook for how good the food comes out.

Note: These options can be combined, since they don't preclude each other. Also, you may reroll any critical failures because of the Lucky Coin that I forgot you have in your pocket.
>>
Rolled 7, 7 = 14 (2d10)

>>4925013
>Cook for the farmer
>Cook for the construction crew (increases goodwill in town, people less likely to rat you out and more spreading of your deeds when you do start doing evil)
Sway public opinion towards us and we can fuck over the other two apprentices
I will roll two dice here, first is for us and second is for Nehme
>>
>>4925013
dice+1d10+1

Rolling for cooking for the farmer (keeping my word)
Leave the cookbook with Nehme for cooking for construction crew. She will have to make second serving for Bobby and me
>>
>>4925036
gotta put the dice in the options part of the reply box.
>>
Rolled 3 + 1 (1d10 + 1)

>>4925036
>>4925037

Thx, here's the roll
>>
Rolled 5 + 1 (1d10 + 1)

>>4925013
>Cook for the farmer
>Cook for the construction crew (increases goodwill in town, people less likely to rat you out and more spreading of your deeds when you do start doing evil)
>>
Gonna head to bed for tonight. Will resume in 8 to 11 hours. Keep the votes coming. Will do a recap and inventory before counting the votes and writing the next portion.
>>
>>4925013
>>4925031
I am all for increasing public opinion of us, that extra goodwill at this point is good so we don't die the death before we even have time to set up shop.

>>4924990
Oh no, I've never had to account for the Player Character's monetary needs before. This is bullshit!
>>
Rolled 6, 6, 4, 6, 1, 8 = 31 (6d10)

>>4925031
>>4925036
>>4925045
>>4925067
>>4925440

Cooking for the farmer and the construction crew. Rolling. Post that ends in the first number will be the roll that is used. (If you're wondering why I'm rolling multiple dice it's explained in the rules: https://pastebin.com/6swYYBvG )

>>4925440
Also, kek, yeah, that came out way snarkier than I intended it too.

Summary/Recap/Inventory incoming, then I'll get to writing the next part. Might take a while, still a little sleepy.
>>
>Inventory:
Regular Clothes
Leather gloves
Leather boots
Apprentice robes
Paring knife
Tier 1 Lucky Coin (does not take up an artifact slot, reroll 1 critical fail each day)
Tier 1 Wand of Binding (stick 2 things together, take 1 combat round (about 10 seconds) to unstick it by force)
Tier 2 Piercer (inflict 1 major wound each day)
Tier 3 Signet Ring (magically checks that the person wearing it is of the correct bloodline)
A pocket cookbook

>At the Inn:
Tier 1 Spice pouch
Tier 1 Ring of Stepladder
Bobby with a Tier 1 Engineering for Dummies
Nehme with a Tier 1 Potion of Health

2 weeks of food specifically for Nehme (water infused with hate)
2 weeks of food specifically for you (bad guy food is weird but good)
2 weeks of food for Bobby (she eats regular food, but it's easier to keep track of it if it's separate)

1 weeks worth of hard tack (it's fine if you have nothing else, and it never goes bad, but it's not tasty)

5 meals for customers (after you give 1 each to the 8 construction workers and 1 to the farmer)

215 gold (after you get tips for feeding the construction workers)

>4 usable rooms:
Main room
Kitchen
1 bedroom for mooks and MC
1 bedroom for potential customers
The rest of the Inn is unexplored

Inventory is now pasted here: https://pastebin.com/4W4JFsEn
It will be updated at the end of each session, or whenever we do an inventory check
Basic rules can be found here: https://pastebin.com/6swYYBvG
>>
>YOU are Alphonse, an Apprentice bad guy whose master is dead.
>It's been two days since you escaped the fortress town of Lichholm before the adventurers ransacked it.
>You have your GUNWAND
>You have your MOOKS
>You have a BANK HEIST on THURSDAY with your BUSINESS PARTNER TILLIA
>MIKE a fellow apprentice who really doesn't like you is going to probably try to kill you at some point.
>you have an INN
>And you have some HONGRY BOIS in your front room.
>Following the instructions in the pocket cook book is fairly easy, and you make a pretty good meal.
>You take over frying the fish and make some fried fish and vegetables. Like the dastardly evil doer you are you use the Spice Pack on your own food, making it proper bad guy food rather than mook food.
>Bobby and Nehme make for pretty terrible waitresses, but the food gets out to the group of construction workers and you join them, all sitting around the two tables that came with the restoration of the main room.
>As you wave the construction crew out the door you see in twilight of the setting sun a pair of people coming towards your inn.
>The shining white plate, the huge great sword on her back, and the halo of light around her head are a dead giveaway. The paladin, the one who killed Lysanderoth, your former master, and her apprentice are coming straight for your inn at a sedate pace.

Now, it's unlikely that the paladin will attack or kill you, even if she knows that you're a former apprentice, since she's Tier 5 and your Tier 1. But, she could tell her apprentice to try to defeat you in a duel. You would probably lose that duel since her apprentice is a Tier 2 adventurer at minimum. Then again, they might just be looking for some hot food and a place to sleep.
What do?
>>
>>4925557
Chances are they don’t know we are apprentices so let’s go with the flow and serve them.
>>
>>4925571
I assume you also want to put away the very obvious bad guy apprentice robes you're currently wearing?
>>
>>4925575
Yes
We are a humble family owned inn that just opened up.
Side question: what is the view on Polygamy? There has to be a number of villains and adventurers that had harems
>>
>>4925575
>Yea, good idea
>>
>>4925582
>>4925557
Yes, attempt disguise. Try not to sweat rivers.
>>
>>4925582
Polygamy is part of several cultures. It's neither frowned upon but nor is it expected. It's something that would be discussed when a couple starts a serious relationship. Since your mother was part of 2 polygamous-esk cultures (fairies basically mess around with whomever they want and don't really have committed relationships and kitsune tend to live in families of 2-3 males and 3-5 females) you are familiar with the concept through your aunts and uncles on your mothers side, though your parents were monogamous in line with your father's culture. (humans tend to be monogamous except in specific circumstances and Elves tend to pair up one on one for 50-100 year spans before ending the relationship. Full life partners among the elves isn't really a thing with how long they live.)

>>4925582
>>4925585
>>4925590
Take off our robes, and look like a simple start up business. Accepted. Writing.
>>
>>4925557
>>4925593

>You pop back into the inn, pulling off your apprentice bad guy robes. Tossing them to Nehme you tell it to take them up to your shared room and stay up there until the adventurers are gone.
>Back in the kitchen you immediately regret using the Spice Pouch on yourself, it would have been useful for this situation. Oh well, you'll just tell them that it's a startup, since technically it is.
>You set Bobby to cleaning the tables, much to her chagrin. She wanted to use Engineering for Dummies to construct that crossbow tonight, but keeping up the ruse is more important, and Nehme would be a dead giveaway.
>Moments after you get behind the stove the door bursts open, "INNKEEPER! A TANKARD OF ALE AND A PAIR OF PLATES FOR ME AND MY SQUIRE! WE'LL ALSO NEED ROOMS FOR THE NIGHT!"
>You quickly plate the fried fish and vegetables, taking them out to the Paladin and her Squire.
>"Greetings!" You call out in your best impression of a jovial innkeeper, "I'm afraid that all we have to drink right now is water, friends. This building is doing an absolute number on my wallet to renovate."
>"Oh?" The paladin smiles at you, you can practically see the shine on her teeth, "New business, eh? Well, give us what you've got, we're used to roughing it!"
>"Well, room and board for today, which included dinner and breakfast tomorrow is five gold," you smile charmingly, "if you think you can afford it, of course."
>The paladin laughs, and her squire, who appears to be around your age and also a woman —though it's always hard to tell with dryads— laughs with her. The paladin places the gold in your hand, "I think we can afford it, son. It's nice to see an enterprising young couple like yourselves."
>Bobby snorts but doesn't comment.
>"Wish my own boys were so inclined. They'd rather laze about at home or with their friends in drinking parlors than go out and do some good in the world."
>Bobby comes over, "Didn't know paladins could have children. Aren't you all celibate?"
>The tall human woman chuckles, "Not at all. There are some orders who require that, but they're all old fashioned fuddy-duddy's who usually won't even let women join in the first place. Mmm, this is pretty good." She shovels another fork full of fish and vegetables into her mouth.

What do? Any questions for the seemingly friendly paladin and her squire before we move on to tomorrow?
>>
>>4925660
>Ask about any news from the old Lich lair.
Also 5 gold, nice.
>>
>>4925660
>Thank her for the compliment off our food, we're trying our best

>>4925709
Maybe not ask directly about the Lich's Lair, she didn't mention it herself. Instead maybe we can ask her what she's doing out here, she is quite clearly a high level adventurer so it must be an important mission.
>>
>>4925740
hmm, yeah that sounds smart. Then lets ask about it if she brings it up.
>>
>>4925709
>>4925740
>>4925748

It's been an hour. Accepting these. Writing.
>>
>>4925660
>>4925755

>You find your way behind the bar to do that thing where bartenders clean glasses that are obviously clean while they talk to customers.
>"So, what brings you round these parts?"
>"Well," the paladin gestures wildly while she talks, "your local BBEG got uppity, apparently literally entered the realm of the gods and started opening cans of whoopass on *all* the minor deities. Apparently his old girlfriend from like a thousand years ago or something during the god war died and when the war was over the gods wouldn't let anyone from before or during the war get resurrected. Apparently those old-timers would be a bad influence on the world they were creating."
>"So, his plan is to literally blast his way into the afterlife, kick the butts of all the gods, and demand the soul of his loved one. Needless to say, that doesn't work, he gets kicked out of the realms of the gods, and gets a Death Mark.
>"My god was one of the ones he pissed off, so I get the order to come down and teach him some manners, and I'm *stoked!* It'd been nearly four years since I got a really good challenge, and he was top! He dropped spells on me that I don't think have been seen since the God War. There's a couple new craters down in Fire Gulch thanks to us. But we came out on top, though just barely. Lost five of our ten man team, and he wasn't even in his fortress!"
>She finishes off her water and stands up, coming over to sit on one of the two rough hewn bar stools that the construction crew made. "So, we defeat him, and he's not coming back, so we have to race to his fortress before the guild cleanup crew gets there and steals all the good look. He was *massive* y'know? Owned a whole town and everything. So we go in, and check this out, a couple of his apprentices come at us! The absolute BALLS on those goons! We take care of them, of course, but they take out another one of us.
>>
>>4925866
>"Most of the townsfolk don't put up a fight, they're just doing their jobs and whatnot, so we leave them along and storm the fortress! Not many people there, basically everyone ran, but we run into a couple who put up a little bit of a fight. They go down without much of a fight. No, the real tough bit was getting into the old lich's vault! Lost two more getting the door open, and there was an absolute hoard of treasure inside! And guess who got to claim it all? It was us!" She points to herself with both thumbs and indicates her squire. "Of course the guild gets its cut, *and* the church, *and* the kingdom, *and* the other adventures get some too for helping, but I get to decide what happens to the majority of it!"
>She grins, "Oh boy, once all this gets sold off I'm going to be one rich lady! And just you wait, in a year there's going to be an absolute *explosion* of artifacts that haven't been on the market in centuries! I can see a new age of heroes and villains coming, and it's going to be glorious!"
>She orders more water, her speech having dried her throat. You turn to Bobby but she appears to have left at some point, probably not all that interested in hearing about how her old boss died.

Anything else you want to talk about before heading to bed?
>>
>>4925869
The BBEG was the lich we were apprenticing under right?
I'm curious about two things from them
>"Don't you sympathize a bit about the lich's motives? You seem like a righteous person, don't you have someone you may have wanted to do the same for?"
if this doesn't go over well then drop the subject entirely

Other question
>Have any minor artifacts you managed to find? I've been trying to find some simpler ones to help out the staff around here
>>
File: dirty trench coat man.png (2746 KB, 960x1200)
2746 KB
2746 KB .png
A Picture of Nehme that my roommate did. She calls him dirty trench coat man.
>>
>>4925869
>>4925878
Probably won't hurt to ask if she has anything, but we can't afford an artifact right now even if it is low tier. That first question is spooky though, but hopefully won't cause too much of a ruckus.

>>4925931
Damn, Nehme needs some better robes. We ought to see about that when we finish the Heist.
>>
>>4925878
>>4925939
Alright, it's been an hour. Accepted and writing. Also, yes, you, Nehme, and Bobby are basically hobos living out of a shack right now, none of you are looking your best.
>>
>>4925869
>>4925952

>As you pass a glass full of water to the paladin you ask, "Don't you sympathize with his motives?"
>She chuckles, "Of course I do. If my husband died of anything but natural causes and the gods refused to let me resurrect him I'd storm the gates of the afterlife myself. But hey, you piss off the wrong people you're gonna die, that's just how it is. I'm sure he and his beloved will be reunited after he's done apologizing."
>Her chuckling turns to proper laughter, "Heck, the gods might just send him to her for his punishment! Nothing worse than leaving your wife to fend for herself for a thousand years while you gallivant across the country. She's probably been rehearsing the ass blasting she's going to give him for a century at least!"
>You smile. Yeah, your master is probably pretty fucked if he's left his wife for a millennia while he went on a rampage. "I don't suppose you picked up any minor artifacts you might be willing to give an up and coming businessman?"
>The paladin smiles, "Afraid not, friend. The Lich's apprentices cleaned the place out before we even arrived. Which reminds me, you should be ready for a couple dozen upstart villains to show up in the coming weeks. They'll probably be everywhere trying to carve up their own little fiefs. And that'll bring in all the apprentice adventurers. So things are going to get really busy around here soon. Guess you got lucky opening up an Inn in what is about to be a major hotspot!"
>She stands up, "But my apprentice and I should get to bed. I'll see you in the morning innkeeper."
>A few moments after the paladin leaves the room Bobby comes back in. She appears to be scratched up, though she triumphantly holds another bottle of ancient booze. "Basement's full of rat men." She comments as she drags herself up the stairs toward the bedroom.

What do?
>>
>>4926020
What day is it today in-universe?

>Bring Bobby with you up to the shared room. Tell both of your mooks about the Heist we'll be pulling soon, quietly of course so the Paladin hopefully doesn't overhear us.
>Share a drink with your minions to celebrate that we'll soon be less poor
>Give Nehme the Wand of Binding, take the potion back
>Ask Bobby how long it would take for her to assemble the Hand Crossbow now that she has her Engineering for Dummies
>"How many Ratmen are there in the Basement?"

I think the plan tomorrow, if it isn't Thursday, is to try and clean out the basement. It'll give us some more Gold and experience, maybe even one or two Tier 1 artifacts if we are really lucky. Best clean the inn out completely before we open it up for real real.
>>
>>4926057
Support for all except the plan sharing, do that after the Paladin leaves.
>>
>>4926057
It is currently Sunday night.
>>
>>4926058
Right, so we just tell them we have something big to tell them after our bigshot customer leaves tomorrow morning.
>>
>>4926057
>>4926058
>>4926061

Accepted, writing.
>>
>>4926020
>>4926106

>You follow Bobby up to your shared room, grabbing two shot glasses and a spare vial style bottle. There's really only enough room for the two beds and the coat rack that Nehme uses for sleeping on in the room that you had the construction workers clean up for you.
>At the foot of each 'bed' is a traveling backpack filled with the basic necessities and a change of clothing for each of you.
>Bobby is taking a swig from the bottle as you enter.
>"We *have* glasses, you know?" You clink the shot glasses in your hand for emphasis.
>Bobby looks at you, "So we do," and takes another cheeky swig.
>You roll your eyes and grab the bottle from her, pouring yourself and Nehme a shot. He pops his little squirt bottle top onto the vial style bottle.
>"C~elebrating something?" it asks.
>"We have a job on Thursday. I'll tell you more about it later, but we'll be getting a pretty good payday."
>"Wow, boss, day 2 and you've already got something going on. Congrats." Bobby lifts her glass and then tosses it back.
>"We~ll, it wasn't all me." You grumble, "Tillia offered us a job."
>"Who dat?"
>"Drider girl?"
>"O~h, yeah, she's a smart one. You're totally gonna get fucked. Smart women are dangerous."
>"You're a smart woman."
>"You insinuating I'm not dangerous?" Bobby grins at you like a shark about to eat a tuna.
>"Of course not."
>"Good."

<<<<< The next morning, Monday, after breakfast.

>"It's been a pleasure, young man, but we must be off." The paladin says as she shoulders her pack, "Have to get back home to spread the word of our victory. Have a nice day, and remember to prepare for all that's coming."
>"I'll do that, ma'am." You tip a non-existent hat to her as you shut the door.
>A few minutes later the three of you are sitting around one of the main room tables, finishing your own breakfast.
>"Bobby, how long would it take you to assemble this crossbow?" You place the hand crossbow parts that you picked up off the wreckage of Tillia's escape cart.
>"A couple hours. Three tops."
>"Alright, and how many rat men were there in the basement?"
>"'bout six."
>"Six?"
>"Yup."
>"Six rat men."
>"That about sums it up."
>"How in the actual hell did you get in, get booze, and get out with six rat men in there?"
>Bobby gives you an 'are you an idiot' look, "I'm the youngest of twelve, Alphonse. I know how to get in and out of a scrap."
>"R~ight."
>You trade your wand of binding with Nehme's potion of healing. You'll probably need to apply it strategically.

What's the plan for today?
1:Go back into town, maybe to talk to Tillia or to find out what Mike is doing (takes all day)
2:Go talk to Greg in Wheelstone (takes all day)
3:Clear out the basement (need to defeat 6 Tier 1 mooks, very difficult but doable)
4:Write in
>>
>>4926174
Let’s head to town and wander for a bit, I’m sure Bobby has the inn covered if anybody shows up.
Mostly I want to see what Tillia is up to but try and keep out of sight.
>>
>>4926174
I really want to stay and clear out the Ratmen today, it'd give us a cash injection and experience and we really need the cash right now. Sitting on just 200 spending money is making my butthole clench in fear. Going in to town just to follow Tillia around isn't a good usage of our time, not to mention it's not guaranteed she'll be in town at all. Mike is also probably still there, and he won't be happy to see us.

>Have Bobby put together the Hand Crossbow and some ammo (I assume it uses regular arrows), more firepower is always good
>3:Clear out the basement (need to defeat 6 Tier 1 mooks, very difficult but doable)
We don't need to clear them all out today. We can kill one or two of them, collect their loot, see if we can escape with some more booze to sell to any customer, then pull out and come back again tomorrow to finish them off. We have the Health Potion, which has refilled so we can take two minor wounds today without being in worse shape tomorrow. We also have our Piercer, so if we get the drop on a ratman we're scoring one guaranteed kill today.
>>
>>4926196
>>4926226
This is a relatively important decision, so I'll wait a half hour if anyone else wants to chime in or if one of you want to change your vote, after that, if there's no winner I'll roll for it.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d2)

1 we go with >>4926196
2 we go with >>4926226
accepted and writing. Might take a while, probably gonna be the last post before bed.
>>
>>4926226
Supporting.

Quick go to the ratmen, then check on Greg maybe? He's cool
>>
>>4926174
>>4926271

>"Alright," you crack your neck and stretch, "who wants to kill some rat men?"
>"You sure about that, boss? Six on three is doable, if we're smart." Bobby is already assembling the hand crossbow, being very careful to follow the instructions in the book.
>"We'll be smart about it. I have a plan, but first, some espionage." You take Nehme with you and press your ear to the barred door to the basement. No sounds. Rat men, like rats, are primarily active at night, meaning they should be getting ready for bed.
>Cracking open the door you look into the darkness. No obvious movement. It's pitch black down there, so you would have to move around by feel unless you brought some form of light.
>Nehme can operate in pitch blackness, but he doesn't really have any high powered offensive capabilities.
>You close the door.

Options:
Stealth 1: Go in with the piercer and attempt to take out a single rat before retreating. Difficult (10% chance of success) and you will be in the rat nest if things go wrong. (this uses the HELPLESS mechanic that I've been thinking about but haven't written out yet. Basically it works as a sneak or surprise attack, meaning 1 attack does damage 1 level higher than normal. If you use the piercer on a HELPLESS enemy it does a mortal wound.)

Stealth 2: You have enough artifacts to Tier up Nehme to Tier 2. This would allow him to go in an use the piercer to kill a rat. (80% chance of success, but it would leave Nehme in the rat's nest if things go wrong)

Surprise: Throw a lit torch in, all three of you rush in and attack whomever you can, doing your best to kill at least 1 rat (60% chance of escaping without wounds but only 20% chance of a kill)

Trap: Try to lure a rat towards the door and take it by surprise, killing it and closing the door before anyone can come to investigate (50% chance of success, but with a small chance that one or more rats can bust through the door and turn this into a real fight)

Perhaps combine all three in some way? Or maybe you have a better idea. Lay out your plans, game it out, see what you can come up with. Try not to burn the whole building down though, eh?
>>
>>4926355
>I woud say throw in a torch and rush in to kill as many as you can but be purposely slow enough on the escape to lure one Ratman out the door, with Bobby standing by the door with the crossbow firing at the Ratmen as long as she's is sure she won't hit any of you, during both the attack and to cover escape.
>>
>>4926355
Nehme is a he now?
What about using the wand of sticking AND the piercer? Maybe with the lure?

We lure, best case only one ratmen we can stick, rendering him helpless so kill.
2 ratmen : stick them together rendering helpless, killing one.
3 ratmen : sticking 2, major wound the 3rd
4 or more : still stick 2, try to retreat
>>
>>4926386
Nehme has no sex or gender, they're just a spirit. I'll use male, female, and object pronouns for them interchangeably. Mostly I'll refer to them as the gender of whoever they're with, so if Nehme is helping out Bobby they're both girls but if Nehme is helping you out then you're both boys.
>>
>>4926386
Supporting
>>
>>4926355
>>4926386
Yeah, I was thinking something similar. Lure in one or two Ratmen and then use the Sticky Wand to create a blockage in the corridor to stop more Ratmen from approaching. Bobby went down here herself, maybe she can give us a rough outline of how the basement looks and where the best location would be to create that blockade.
>>
File: tegaki.png (9 KB, 400x400)
9 KB
9 KB .png
>>4926386
>>4926471
>>4926724

Alright, looks like the plan is to try to lure them out and pick them off. I'm going to be busy for a couple hours, so if anyone else wants to chime in on the plan now's the time. Also, here's a basic sketch of the basement. It's basically a couple broken down moldy wine and keg racks and some rat man tunnels. The stairs are functional, but can break if you're trying to go up or down them quickly.
Bobby basically jumped down the stairs with a candle, tossed it at the first rat man she saw, grabbed a bottle, brained the fucker, and ran out, breaking a couple of the stairs in her haste, and barring the door behind her.
The stairs at the biggest obstacle both to entering and leaving the basement, so it would make for a good choke point until the rat men figure out that they're not going to be able to get to you. You'll probably be able to kill at least half of them before their feeble rat minds figure it out, they're not that smart.
>>
>>4926757
Also, forgot to do the status update for when the day (Sunday) ended.

Bobby and Nehme were BORED that they had nothing either work related or fun to do today (yesterday)
Bobby and Nehme were REASSURED to get half their weekly pay early.
You feel GOOD about getting a proper villain meal.
Bobby is ANNOYED that the rat men tried to stop her from getting more booze.
Bobby and Nehme are both feeling the STRESS of their massive shift in position going from working for a BBEG to working for a no one.
Tillia is CONTENT and ANNOYED at your deal
Mike is feeling VENGFUL about your ruse
The Paladin and Squire are UNAWARE of your status as a Bad Guy
>>
Rolled 6 (1d7)

>>4926355
>>4926757

>You return to the main room and discuss the plan while Bobby constructs the crossbow. Without proper bolts you're left using whittled sticks and broken table legs. Good at very short range, but not much else.
>The three of you post up next to the door to the basement. Unbarring the door Nehme floats down the stairs.

continuing, rolling here for Nehme's luck.
>>
>>4926907

>Seconds after Nehme descends into the darkness you hear a growling and a bark.
>Nehme comes flying up the stairs like a bat out of hell, a single rat man on nipping at his tattered cloak ends. Nehme makes it up the stairs, spinning and aiming the Wand of Binding at the rat man's foot as the quick little thing bursts past the door.
>With a word the wand fires its magic into the foot of the rat man, sticking his foot to the floor. The creature trips and smashes its snout into the ground. Bobby boots the basement door closed, unloading a bolt of wood into the rat man's back as she does so.
>You heft the broken table leg in your hands.

Options: The Rat man is HELPLESS
1. Inflict a major wound with the table leg
2. Inflict a mortal wound with the piercer
3. Write in.
>>
>>4926911
On one hand, I'm not sure we'll get another chance to inflict a Mortal Wound after this stunt, the other rats might be alerted and not so easy to sneak up on. Might aswell end this one quickly in that case.

On the other hand, this rat is all alone now and we could probably take him easy without the use of the Piercer. Saving up the shot would be best if we were planning on trying to clean out a good portion of the rats hiding in the basement today.

It's a tough call, I'll wait for some input from other anons before I make a call. If we don't get any, I'll vote:
>2. Inflict a mortal wound with the piercer
>>
>>4926911
>>4926920
For me, taking one out is good enough.
Mortal wound, drag corpse in main room, call it a day downstairs
>>
>>4926920
>>4926942
Alright, looks like a mortal wound with the Piercer. What do you say to activate your gun-wand? Could be a single word activation, could be a catch-phrase. Anything really, so long as your character can physically speak it. How long the line is doesn't really matter, saying the activation doesn't really count as taking any time.
>>
>>4926949
You can't go wrong with shouting "BOOMSTICK" when we use a magic stick that puts holes in people.
>>
>>4926955
Supporting
>>
Rolled 8 (1d10)

>>4926955
>>4926992
Rolling for suave badass.
>>
>>4926911
>>4926920
>>4926942
>>4926949
>>4926955
>>4926992
>>4926995
Accepted. Writing.
>>
>>4926911
>>4926996

>You step forward toward the rat man and plant your boot into his spine, pinning him to the floor. Pulling your piercer with your left hand, "See this?" You side eye Bobby. Depressing the trigger and priming the weapon for activation you point it at the back of the head of the squirming rat man, "This is my BOOMSTICK!"
>Piercers don't exactly boom when you activate them. It's more of a high pitched sword swinging sound as the energy parts the air on its way to the target. In this case, the target is the back of the rat man's head, which it drills a hole into.
>You had carefully aimed the weapon below the skull, the low tier gun-wand not having enough power to punch through even thin skull. But it didn't need to as the rat man quits squirming as his brain stem is destroyed.
>*SLAM* the door to the basement creaks against the first hit. Evidently the other rat mem heard what happened, and are now trying to swarm into the inn.
>*SLAM*

Options:
1: Open the door the next time they try to slam through it, letting one in and trying to close it before more can come through (40% chance once rat enters, 30% that 2 enter, 20% that 3 enter, 10% that 4 enter, 10% that all 5 enter)
2: Hope that the door doesn't break (70% chance it will hold out, you will be ready to fight when it opens)
3: Get out of the Inn, they won't follow you outside and you can go for help
4: Use your bodies to try to hold the door shut (90% chance the door holds, but if it breaks it will knock Bobby and You to the ground)
>>
>>4927018
In option 1 the last 2 are supposed to be 5% not 10%
>>
>>4927018
>1: Open the door the next time they try to slam through it, letting one in and trying to close it before more can come through (40% chance once rat enters, 30% that 2 enter, 20% that 3 enter, 10% that 4 enter, 10% that all 5 enter)
We're gonna gamble on fighting them piecemeal. 70% chance we have to fight two or less here, I like those odds. That'll put us at a 4v3 or a 3v3 for the final combat round I assume happens when the door break down.
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>4927065
It's been a little over an hour, I'll accept this one. Rolling for it.
1 = 5
2 = 4
3-6 = 3
7-12 = 2
13-19 = 1
20 = 1 and they're helpless.
>>
>>4927141
accepted, writing.
>>
>>4927018
>>4927141

>"Bobby, next time they go to break the door I need you to open it to let them through and then close it real quick."
>"Got it boss!" Bobby holds the door for one more *SLAM* then, timing it just right, rips the door open before slamming it closed.
>The rat man charges into the room through a door that's no longer in his way and straight into your swinging table leg which cracks across his skull. The rat man's dazed long enough for you to wind up and smack him again, but this time he takes it across his arm.
>Bobby is braced back against the door to the basement as another *SLAM* jostles her, but she keeps enough sense to put a bolt into the rat man. Nehme is floating back, unsure of what to do.

RAT MAN has taken 1 Major wound and 1 Minor wound.

What do?
Just keep clobbering him with Bobby occasionally adding in bolts (you will kill him, take 1d4 minor wounds)
Get Nehme to help with his little knife (take 1d3 wounds but spread them evenly between the two of you)
Grapple and have Nehme shank it to death (roll a d10, on a 2 or 3 you fail, on a 1 you fail and take a minor wound and the rat man grapples you back)
write in.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>4927161
>Grapple and have Nehme shank it to death (roll a d10, on a 2 or 3 you fail, on a 1 you fail and take a minor wound and the rat man grapples you back)
We ain’t a bitch
>>
>>4927161
How does wound accumulation works?
How many minor is a major?
>>
>>4927628
5 minors to a major and 5 majors to a mortal. When someone receives a mortal wound they get one chance to live through it per Tier. Adventurers and Companions get +1 attempt and bad guys get +2 attempts to survive it. taking any kind of wound while mortally wounded counts as a failed attempt to survive the wound.

Now, if we did combat round by round it would take somewhere in the range of two minutes wailing on the rat man for him to die, but I'm going to skip that sort of thing unless it's really important what we do each round.
>>
>>4927404
Supporting.

Using lucky to cancel critical failure?
>>
>>4927676
I was planning on doing that anyway, go ahead and roll that d10 my friend
>>
Rolled 8 (1d10)

>>4927677
>>
>>4927404
>>4927676
>>4927679

Accepted, writing.
>>
>>4927161
>>4927684

>You dive on top of the rat, wrestling it, doing your best to avoid its claws, clutching at its long, spindly arms and greasy fur.
>You wrench it's arms nearly out of their sockets as you put the creature in a full nelson, "Nehme! Stab it! STAB IT!"
>Nehme pulls out its knife and stabs into the flesh of the rat man, again and again and AGAIN.
>Do you know how long it takes to kill someone with an inch long paring knife? MINUTES.
>It's not long enough to pierce anything vital so you just have to stab and cut and saw at the thing you're trying to kill while it screams and squirms and bleeds everywhere.
>Eventually the screaming stops and the squirming comes to an end.
>There's blood, so much blood, and you're covered in it.
>You look up, shaking, at your minions. Bobby is pressed with her back against the door, her short frame barely keeping it closed, though the banging has stopped.
>You really, *really* needed a weapon.
>And the gods deliver. Or, rather, one god. The one that's descended to distribute the loot from the two dead rat men.
>There, lying in the dissolving bodies, is a weapon.

Decide on a weapon. The only rules are that it can't be a gun wand (those are special and can only be fired a couple times a day tops) and you should be able to wield it indoors. Basically anything else is free game, even stuff that doesn't work. Since it's going to be an artifact anyone wielding it will know how to use it when they pick it up, and it gets a special move that it can use once a day, so decide on that as well.

Also, get some ideas about what you're going to do about the 4 rat men that are about to break down the door.

Last post for tonight, see you all in 10 hours.
>>
File: Pata-1-Archit-Patel.jpg (766 KB, 2288x1712)
766 KB
766 KB .jpg
>>4927733
> A pata or gauntlet sword (See pic)
As for the ability all I can think of is the standard long range sword slash aka swordbeam (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SwordBeam)
>>
File: swordchucks.jpg (40 KB, 414x615)
40 KB
40 KB .jpg
>>4927733
Ok guys, ear me out...

Sword chucks
>>
>>4927747
kek, not sure if your int is low enough to handle those safely.
>>
File: swordchucks.png (10 KB, 220x229)
10 KB
10 KB .png
>>4927747
Picrel is more where that come from.
Special move : whirlwind.
Big AOE attack. Let's hope your allies are not nearby.
>>
>>4927756
>Anyone wielding it will know how to use it

>Not sure your int is low enough to handle those safely

Turns out you lied to me
>>
>>4927759
Oh no, you totally can, I was just meming. It's been forever since I read that comic, so long that I've actually forgotten its name. Isn't the joke that the only reason he can wield them is that he's to dumb to hit himself or something?
>>
File: fellowkids.jpg (93 KB, 900x720)
93 KB
93 KB .jpg
>>4927760
>meming
what the fuck am I, some forty year old?
>>
>>4927757
8 bit theater, and as far as I know he can weild because while he is a total idot who doesn't see why sword chucks are a bad idea he is also a master swordsman, assuming he ever actually had them made and they didn't only show up in fantasy segments because everyone else knew how stupid they were
>>
>>4927762
IIRC, he managed to build 2 pairs, ends up Dual-wielding swordchucks at one point, is deadly efficient with, then get nerf by the god Jerk.
His future 'good ending' version write a treaty of usage, implying it became a wide-spread style although difficult to use.
In the epilogue, he still have a pair of those
>>
>>4927733
>>4927744
I'm gonna Veto those Sword Chucks and support the Pata instead. Sorry, I am just very biased against anything that has to do with Nunchucks.
>>
>>4927744
>>4927832

It's been 10 hours.
Two votes for gauntlet-sword. Accepted. Writing.
>>
>>4927733
>>4928151

>You thrust your arm into the elbow length metal tube of the gauntlet-sword and heft the weapon.

Much like a rapier, the gauntlet sword is long and thin, primarily useful for filling the enemy with holes with its extended reach, though also allowing for wicked slashing attacks in circumstances where you can swing your entire arm. Good against poking weapons like rapiers and spears, not great against slashing or crushing weapons like swords or hammers. Mobility is key for defense and offence, primarily forward and backward mobility. Another advantage/disadvantage is that the correct battle stance with this weapon relieves the user of the need for a shield, leaving their other hand free for non-weapon items. However this means that any user of this weapon cannot take full advantage of a shield.

Tier 1 artifact: Once a day send out a slash of energy dealing either 1 major wound to 1 enemy or 5 minor wounds to multiple enemies caught in the slash's arc. Range: short.

Note: You have dropped the spent piercer on the ground in order to remain within the limit of artifacts that you can carry and use. It is in no danger of destruction since it's solid wood for the most part. You will automatically pick it back up when the fight is over.

Additional note because I like to think about this: The pata is attached to the belt with a buttoned loop, so you don't have to draw it out of a sheath, just unbutton it from your belt. This will never come up in the game, but I thought I'd note it.

>Standing you face the door. Bobby scampers around behind you, loading another bolt into the hand crossbow. Nehme floats up to your side, one sleeve pointed at the door, the other sleeve hiding its tiny knife.

Options:
When the door opens run the first rat through with your new weapon (90% success, mortal wound inflicted, will tie you up for 1 round as you have to pull your blade out)
Start the combat by using the weapon's ability and hit the first rat with a major ranged wound. (guaranteed success, will not push the rat men back)
Attempt to boot the rat back down the stairs into its comrades (70% success, minor wound inflicted, buys you time)
Write in
>>
>>4928157
>Attempt to boot the rat back down the stairs into its comrades (70% success, minor wound inflicted, buys you time)
>>
>>4928157
>Attempt to boot the rat back down the stairs into its comrades (70% success, minor wound inflicted, buys you time)
Do a flip, you rat.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d10)

>>4928167
>>4928189
Alright, everyone (and i do mean everyone reading this not just the voters) roll dice+1d10
4+ is a success, 10 is critical success, 1 is critical fail.
I'll roll one too as an example.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d10)

>>4928198
>>
Rolled 4 (1d10)

>>4928198
Time to hit that critfail.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d10)

>>4928198
>>
Rolled 2, 3, 7, 9, 9, 7 = 37 (6d10)

>>4928203
>>4928204
>>4928228
Alright, let's see which one I use.
>>
>>4928203
Winner! Think/talk about what you want to do next while I write. You'll be facing off against 4 rat men with 1 on the ground and 1 still in the staircase when I'm done writing.
>>
>>4928157
>>4928232

>The door bursts open in a shower of splinters. With a roar you step forward and plant your boot into the chest of the first charging rat man, kicking him back, but the slippery fuck hooks its claws into the doorframe, pulling itself forward and pushing you back.
>As you fall back you slash with your patta, cutting a gash into the rat man's chest. The fetid beast screams but its compatriots merely push it to the ground and step over it into the room. Two rat men spread out to either side of the doorway, swiping at the air between you.
>You point the tip of your blade at one, then the other as it tries to step forward. You can see the sickly yellow eyes of the fourth rat man glaring at you from the darkness of the stairwell.

options:
Slash arc to inflict wounds on all the rat men except the one on the ground.
Attack one while Bobby attacks the other (99% chance of you inflicting a major wound on the rat man, 40% chance of receiving a minor wound. Bobby and other rat man each have 50% chance of inflicting a minor wound on their opposite.)
Retreat outside, they won't follow you (60% chance of you, Bobby, and Nehme all getting 1d2 minor wounds.)
write in
>>
>>4928238
>Attack one while Bobby attacks the other (99% chance of you inflicting a major wound on the rat man, 40% chance of receiving a minor wound. Bobby and other rat man each have 50% chance of inflicting a minor wound on their opposite.)
>>
>>4928238
>Slash arc to inflict wounds on all the rat men except the one on the ground.
Getting the Slash arc in now before the melee begins where we can't use it.
>>
>>4928245 has a good point, changing my vote (>>4928244) to Slash arc to inflict wounds on all the rat men except the one on the ground.
>>
Rolled 12, 42, 12, 57, 70, 22, 32, 36, 69 = 352 (9d100)

>>4928245
>>4928271
Accepted, everyone roll 3d100. First roll is for you, second for Bobby, third for Nehme. I'll roll for rats.
>>
Rolled 8, 53, 63 = 124 (3d100)

>>4928281
>>
Rolled 62, 100, 64 = 226 (3d100)

arc slash says it deals 5 minor to multiple, or 1 major. I'm guessing inflicting 5 minor to multiple means it's 5 distributed between them? since 5 minor == 1 major.

questions:
how strong is Nehme?
how frequently can Nehme summon the imp and how long does it take?
what's the room we're fighting in now like?

I get the feeling we're not supposed to be having an all-out brawl, given the healing timeframe.

some steps to take in the next few turns:
get the imp involved, e.g. grabbing onto a rat man's back where it can't reach and screeching.

fighting retreat to the exit of this room (if there is a single exit). one person goes ahead, topples a table, and shoves it in front of the door as we're exiting to make a chest-high barricade, so Alphonse can leverage his range and we can get cheap shots when they try to pass it.
>>
Rolled 79, 66, 4 = 149 (3d100)

>>4928281
>>
>>4928292

>>4928284
>>4928294

Nice crit. Also, yes, it distributes the 5 minor wounds between them, with each getting at least 1 and the extras given out randomly.
All out brawls are fine, you are just currently really, really underpowered. After the heist you should be at what would be expected of a Tier 1 bad guy and his mooks. Heck, this fight alone will probably triple or quadruple your combat effectiveness once you have the artifacts from the bodies of these rat men.
Nehme can summon the imp once a day for 6 hours, cast time is instant.
You are currently in what would be the food storage room, but it is empty. There's a door to out the back of the inn here but it's blocked up with the wreckage of boxes. There's another door to the kitchen.

Accepted rolls, writing out the fight (or at least something like the first half of the fight.)
>>
>>4928238
>>4928302

>You whip your blade in an arc in front of you, "You're all just MEAT!" Unfortunately your arm comes around and slaps Nehme where its face would be.
>"Ouch~"
>"Sorry Nehme."
>The arc of light that flew from your blade at the activation word slams into the two rats in the room and the rat in the stairwell, all three screaming as cuts open on their chests.
>Nehme flicks their arm forward and launches their summoned imp at the rat in the stairwell. With a scream and a crash the rat falls back down the stairs.
>Bobby puts a bolt into the rat on the left and drops her hand crossbow, switching to her table leg. You charge the rat on the right while Nehme and Bobby charge the rat on the left. With a primal scream Bobby brings her table leg up and then back down on the rat man's head before he can even recover from the slash he took. Then the pair fall upon the thing until they're interrupted by the rat that was on the ground jumping on Nehme's back.
>You're busy poking holes into your own rat, it barely puts up a fight, scrabbling and hissing until you put it out of its misery. You turn to see one rat man on Nehme's back, clawing at his robes and shadowy 'flesh' with its back claws as Bobby slams her table leg into its back.
>As you move to help the imp comes flying out of the basement and slaps against the wall. You turn to the basement door to see the final rat climbing out of it. You boot him back down the stairs.

options:
Run through the rat on Nehme's back (kills the rat, 50/50 chance of a major or minor wound to Nehme)
Slash the rat on Nehme's back (major wound to rat, doesn't kill it, no chance of hurting Nehme)
write in
>>
>>4928321
Helping Nehme
>>
>>4928321
>Slash the rat on Nehme's back (major wound to rat, doesn't kill it, no chance of hurting Nehme)
Hurting our minions on purpose who are already a little bit uncertain about us as an Employer is how you get them to look for work elsewhere.
>>
>>4928321
Slash the rat on Nehme's back (major wound to rat, doesn't kill it, no chance of hurting Nehme)

if it's holding on with its arms and clawing with its legs, maybe try to disable the legs so it'll need to loosen its grip if it wants to hurt Nehme more. e.g. grab its tail, slash across the back of the thighs so it can't extend its legs with force, then try to pull if off by the tail as we continue attacking with the pata.
>>
>>4928353
>>4928365
>>4928490
Accepted, writing.
>>
>>4928321
>>4928573

>Rushing forward you slash across the rat's hamstrings, turning his ripping legs into dangling noodles as it screeches. Bobby brings her table leg down on its back again and you hear something in its back break.
>The rat man fall, twitching and writhing to the ground. You turn to the door as Bobby begins smashing its head in.
>The final rat must have climbed back up the stairs in confusion. It doesn't look like it's ready for a fight. In blinks at you with its yellow eyes and mewls pathetically. You run the blade of your patta through one of those eyes.
>Falling to your knees in the now cramped storage room you look over. The last rat, the one that had been pushed down by their comrades, must have been crushed under your boots and their feet at some point.
>You shudder as the bodies begin dissolving into white particles. The minor diety from before begins tallying up what you will receive from the dead.

You have taken no injuries
Bobby has taken 3 minor wounds
Nehme has taken 6 minor wounds (counts as 1 major and 1 minor for natural healing purposes)

Each of you has received 10370 "experience" (absorbed gold)
Each of you now has 11513 experience
You would all be Tier 2, but none of you have yet to absorb an artifact. Tiering up will occur when you have absorbed at least 1 artifact.
Mooks need 6489 "experience" to Tier up to 3
You need 14487 "experience" to Tier up to 3
4300 gold drops to the floor as well as 3 Tier 1 artifacts.
2 Tier 1 health potions
1 Tier 1 Thief's blade (once a day this blade can be used as a lockpick)
>>
>>4928673
What do now?
>>
>>4928673
>Have our minions use the now abundant health potions to restore their health, Nehme gets two while Bobby gets one. Conveniently this will put both of them at zero wounds after three days, just in time for the Heist
>Give Nehme the Thief's Blade
>Explore the Cellar and make sure to close all tunnel entrances properly. Take stock of any useful inventory still left down there
>Wash off the blood, consider getting actual plumbing for the inn to make this less inconvenient
>Keep inn closed for the rest of the day, crack a cold one with the minions for doing a great job after cleaning up the blood in the food storage

Right, we got some good shit and most importantly, we got cash. Enough cash that we can afford Summoning for Dummies so Nehme can start summoning some useful things. I suggest that tomorrow we go into town and do the following:

- Buy Nehme the Summoning Book
- Resupply the Inn (including some alcohol now that we control our basement), we spent a lot of food buying some goodwill with the townies
- Pay for Repairing the Food and Wine Cellar, maybe an additional room for travelers and getting a proper shower room and toilet if plumbing isn't super expensive
- Try not to get murdered by Mike

As for tiering up, the obvious choice would be to absorb the health potions we have right now but I'm not so hot on doing that unless we buy replacements. The efficay of them would go down by 6 Wounds a week if I understand the Absorbing system correctly, taking us to a single use per week from one use per 24 hours. Alternatively we can look for relatively cheap artifacts that we can absorb when we go into town tomorrow, find something that would mesh with our character archetypes better. Or just buy replacement potions, having healing in a pinch even if it's just a little is never a bad option.
>>
>>4928687
Actually, a quick rundown of the Inn and it's layout would be cool too, so we know how much space we have to work with before we require expanding the building.
>>
>>4928713
support

if we can't easily rat-proof the tunnels, evacuating anything valuable from the room works too.

since absorb reduces the power of something and prevents using it as an object, tend towards absorbing the less useful artifacts. try to think of a distraction plan, then have people absorb the things that won't be useful for that. it's fine to be short-sighted with our low level stuff.

note that Bobby and Nehme can become companions instead of tiering up. this is slightly weaker, but will become more expensive as they gain tiers. maybe listen to their opinion on which to choose.

what does becoming a companion mean socially?
what is the effect of absorbing a skill book?
how useful is thief's blade as a weapon?

artifacts I most want to have absorbed:
thief's blade. 1/day lockpick is only marginally better than 1/week. can maybe keep it around as a weapon for now.
1 health potion.

artifacts I least want to have absorbed:
ring of stepladder
lucky coin
pata

good night.
>>
>>4928733
>>4928713

Absorbing a skill book is just like absorbing any other artifact. Right now engineering for dummies allows Bobby to make a simple device once a day. Absorbing it would allow her to make a simple device once a week.

Also, I'm going to make a stacking rule. If you absorb 2 of the same artifact you can choose to fuse their powers within yourself. This means that if you were to absorb 2 health potions you then get to choose to have it act as if you had absorbed a Tier 2 health potion. This means that you can either heal 1 major wound a week or 1 minor wound a day (these are the absorbed variants of the effect, not the effect if they were an item)

Being a companion means that they are on par with adventurers. They'll expect an increase in pay, it'll take longer/be more expensive to tier up. There's no obvious physical change, but when they fight they'll be noticeably stronger and faster than mooks.

The thief's knife has a 40% chance of inflicting a major wound instead of a minor wound in a successful hit. The patta has a 70% chance of doing the same.

The Inn has a basement, storage room, kitchen, main room, bathroom, and 4 bedrooms (1 is noticeably larger than the others) The bathroom has 'plumbing' in that the flushing rope floods the toilet with water from a rain barrel on the roof and it drains in what you hope in an underground stream and not some kind of well. It doesn't smell awful, so assuming the former is pretty reasonable. (note, the stream is not big enough for anything larger than a small bug to travel in.)

While you could expand the Inn, it will be very expensive. Most villains just end up taking over better bases from other villains, either via trades or hostile takovers. It's cheaper that way, though you will have less say over the layout.
>>
Alright, I just thought of this. It's not advisable once you have a build you like, but currently you all have a tonne of gold acting as experience. Now, here's the thing. Most adventurers, professional mooks, and companions try their best to Tier up using artifacts instead of gold specifically because it gives them more abilities. Monsters, however, just absorb anything they can, meaning they're more gold than artifacts.
Now, if, like you, people find themselves with a tonne of extra gold that isn't doing anything for them they can 're-spec' I.E. they can commit suicide. Since they weren't killed by anyone they drop most of the gold in their bodies. Now, the gods don't like to encourage this, so they take 30% instead of 20% for their resurrection fee.
And remember that dying converts 50% (by number, rounded up) of the artifacts you have absorbed into gold, so once you have absorbed artifacts that you like you won't want to do it.
But it's a viable early game way to re-spec your characters, and if you did it right now you'd have a cool 30k gold to buy some *actual* artifacts with. Remember that you can absorb artifacts of higher tiers (so long as doing so wouldn't Tier you up, as then they're turned into gold, so you wouldn't give a Tier 3 artifact to a Tier 1 mook since it'd turn into gold, you would instead give them a Tier 2 artifact and a Tier 1 artifact)
Anyways, I just thought it was unfair to have all that useful gold locked away from you when it could be put to use making the game more fun.
>>
>>4928952
Only question should we tier up ourselves or (one of) our mooks?
>>
>>4928953
If you're going the suicide route it doesn't matter. I don't think I was clear about this in the rules page, when you die you drop EVERYTHING. You're revived at Tier 1. Now, you don't lose your status as a bad guy, companion, or adventurer, but other than that you're the bottom of the ladder, even if you were Tier 5 before. I personally recommend Tiering up using only artifacts, since that just gives you more options. Now it's really not that important for Tier 1, but it becomes more and more important as you get higher.
>>
>>4928952
I'll go for a respec route; how long before resurection? We can try to "respec" both our minions.

Are we resurected with the same race and aptitudes?
>>
>>4928976
Resurrections is whenever the priests are awake and how long the line is. There's nothing major happening in the area yet (this will change in a week or two) so the time between death and resurrection shouldn't be more than an hour or two, so long as the priests are awake to do the ritual.
Now, the main thing to worry about is that the closest resurrection shrine is in Brik, which is 3/4 of a day away walking cross country, and 1.5 days if you take the roads.
You will resurrect with the same body less any alterations due to artifacts absorbed or otherwise. Bobby will even still have her augments, since they aren't artifact in nature. (They're a weird shamanistic pagan goblin magic, don't ask.) Nehme will also have his robe, since that technically counts as part of his body. You, however, will be naked. But don't worry, the priests provide thin but usable robes and sandals for the recently dead at no charge.
>>
>>4928991
So here would be my plan if you guys are ok with that

>Ritual suicide of Nehme and Bobby
>grab gold, put it some place safe
>Hide a bit like the bathtub
>Commit_sudoku.png
>>
>>4928998
Might want to use a bit of >>4928713 plan first. Wouldn't want more rat men sneaking in through those tunnels before you get back. Also at this rate you aren't getting back before tomorrow regardless, so you might as well get some work in, then spend the 'night' in the afterlife sleeping on clouds until the priests wake up and res you.
>>
>>4929005
Or even suicide at 6PM, priest might still work. Being dead and reborn count as rest, so we can walk by night maybe
>>
>>4929011
Cross country, at night? Do you *want* a twisted ankle?
Nah, just kidding, you could totally do that, but I'm not counting it as a full rest if you rush it like that, so you'd be tired while you walked. It'd be kinda sucky but it would give you a day that you could use, so long as you don't expect to do any more fighting, because it *would* impact your combat ability. It'd be like getting a 4 hour nap in.
>>
Tactical Suicide sounds like a valid option if it were to give us that much spending cash. We'd basically be losing nothing at this point since we haven't absorbed any artifacts, and it would put us in a way better position as we can first of all fully repair the Inn, score proper gear for ourselves and our minions and ensure we can actually pay out the weekly sum for quite a long time.

Talk it over with Bobby and Nehme, present the argument that suicide = gear and loadsa cash. I don't think they'd disagree at this point. Before we do any suiciding though we should take the whole team and close off the basement so we don't just end up with more Ratmen.

We should also stagger the Suicides too, have either us or our minions kill themselves first and the other party stay put to make sure the Inn, the cash and the gear is still here when the others come back. Then the other party offs themselves and makes the trek back. I'd prefer we kill ourselves first, since it would give us the opportunity to go shopping whilst our minions are making their way back to the inn after their suicides.

Hopefully they don't take the cash and bail on us, but I don't think they'd do that.
>>
>>4929267
Shopping with what money ? Rez give us back nothing
>>
>>4929267
>Now, if, like you, people find themselves with a tonne of extra gold that isn't doing anything for them they can 're-spec' I.E. they can commit suicide. Since they weren't killed by anyone they drop most of the gold in their bodies
>and if you did it right now you'd have a cool 30k gold to buy some *actual* artifacts with

We drop gold on suicide, pay attention. Otherwise there'd be 0 reason for us to kill ourselves right now.

We kill ourselves first, head back to the Inn, collect the gold we dropped on our suicide, have our minions commit suicide, collect the gold that drops from them and take all of that into town to buy nice things.
>>
Alright, so, here's the plan I'm getting from all the comments.
1: Close rat tunnels (take a couple hours, you'll be done by dinner)
--Talk to mooks about potentially becoming companion class characters.
2: Sudoku, get ressed in Brik and walk back during the night, arriving around dawn tomorrow (Tuesday)
3: Have mooks sudoku. Go shopping with all the gold they'll drop (you'll be tired but it's just a shopping trip, not a fight)
4: Return with all the new artifacts in the afternoon to meet with the mooks., probably Tier up and/or companion up.

Can everyone agree to that? Or are there other suggestions?
>>
>>4929346
Seems legit.
On my side, this mooks might become top tier mooks but not companions
>>
>>4929346
Sounds good.
>>
>>4929352
>>4929363
Alright, accepted. Today's a bit busy, so it might be a couple hours before I update.
>>
>>4928673
>>4929380

>You wait until the minor deity disappears. You lament that any blood and limbs removed from a body before it dies doesn't dissolve along with the body when they're taken to the afterlife.
>"C'mon." You lever yourself up with your gauntlet sword, "Take those potions. We're going to re-spec after this, so it's not like we'll waste them."
>"Ugh." Bobby groans from her place on the floor, "Fuckin' hate re-specin'. Always feels gross." Everyone in Lysanderoth's employ had to respec at least once so that you understood how to do it. That and the first time was always the worst.
>"Yeah, well I don't like wasting 30k in cash." you grouse. "Let's knock in those tunnels, I'll respec, then when I get back from Brik you can respec and then take the rest of the day off once you're back. I'll take the gold into town and get us some actually useful stuff."
>You grab a lantern, probably the only working one in the entire inn, and light it. The cellar is a mess, with half rotted and broken wine racks and keg stands. Piles of dirt and rat shit everywhere. You find another one of those old bottles. Like the others it's half sediment and half hard alcohol. You pop it open and you pass it around, the alcohol helping to numb the mental and physical pain. Fights weren't supposed to go like that. You needed deadlier weapons. A good fight usually lasts less than a minute, not multiple minutes of screaming and suffering. You shudder.
>Collapsing the tunnels is harder than you thought it would be. They're round holes that are lined with greasy dirt and surprisingly stable. Eventually Bobby goes and finds a shovel and you end up shoveling all the dirt in the room into the holes along with tossing in as much of the broken and rotted wood as you can. By the time you're done some six hours later the basement and the storeroom that leads into it are much less cluttered, though still nowhere near ready to be used.
>"Ugh, now comes time for the 'fun' part." You say as you all go out to the water pump. Bobby and Nehme need to wash up and you need to 'go to heaven.'
>"So, quick question, how would you feel about becoming companions?"
>Nehme is quick to hold his arm up in a 'stop' gesture, "Not for me boss~, far too much responsibility. The whole reas~on I'm a s~ummoner is so that I can sit back and be lazy while still doing my job."
>"Fair." To a lot of minions working for an evil overlord is just a job. A live in job with weird hours, but a job nonetheless. You're kind of surprised Nehme is sticking with you. Probably because it's too lazy to find another job. Oh well, so long as it's useful.
>>
>>4930584
>"I wouldn't mind the pay raise, but ta be honest? Engineers don't make th' best companions. Ya want someone who's in a leadership position but can also take the fight to the enemy. What was it that Lysaderoth said? A good villain has one companion for every two tiers, and those companions should be in charge of three mooks per tier. That's on top of the four mooks per tier that a BG should have, as well as the two mooks per tier to guard the lair. And that's without counting any of the staff."
>Bobby takes a long drink of water and looks over at you, "To be honest, boss, we're way behind. You should have at least six mooks right now. Bump that up to nine mooks and one companion if you wanted one. To be honest, you should really be looking at recruiting more mooks. You could always find some in town, though they're going to be pretty bottom of the barrel. Lysanderoth always said that the most loyal mooks are the ones you take from your enemies, since they respect power. Now I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I can't think of any other way you'd get mooks besides bars or other lairs. I guess you could steal adventurer apprentices, but I don't think they'd be loyal, and loyalty is what you need so early in your career. Once we have a lair that adventurers can start raiding we'll be swimming in mooks looking to sign up, but until then I dunno. Just my two cents, boss. If you think I'll make a good companion I'm game." She smiles her sharp toothed grin up at you.
>"Thanks Bobby, I'll think about that." You sigh and take off your patta, dropping the rest of your stuff to the blanket that you've spread out on the ground. "Well, here goes nothing." Then you position your sword and fall forward, impaling yourself through the eye and into your brain.
>You open your eyes to simple waiting room. You know the drill, and you take a number. 5317. Currently serving 5308. You sit down. Oh! There's the newest Villain's Fashion magazine! You begin flipping through. Looks like bones are out and magical glowing lines are in.
>You take dinner with the priests. It's simple fare, bread, cheese, and raw vegetables. Then you spend most of the night hiking cross country in the thin robe and slippers that the priests gave you. It sucks, but you've done this kind of thing before.
>In the dawn light you enter the inn and have some breakfast as Nehme and Bobby wake up. They send themselves off to the heavenly waiting room and you're left alone.
>Finding an old closed you hang it outside the door.
>You heft the bag containing all the money. It's heavy. You never realize how heavy the gold is until you have to carry 38 kilograms of the stuff for 2 hours as you walk into town. Needless to say, the two hours walk turns into a three hour walk with all the breaks you take. You immediately take it into the bank and get it exchanged for 2000G bank notes with a couple smaller ones for lunch and some spare gold all tucked safely in your money belt.
>>
>>4930585
>It's about an hour later, while you're browsing the weapons on display when you're approached by the ogre that was with Tillia on Sunday (it's Tuesday).
>"You, fairyman, where is leader?"
>You turn to the large fellow, "Uh, wouldn't you know better than I would?"
>"Do not play game. She say she go speak to 'associate.' You are only 'associate' she speak to since leaving fortress. Therefore, she speak to you. Where is she?"
>"Listen, big guy, I've got no idea where she is."
>"Hmm. This troubling. Either you lie, or she missing for two days. Other mookies worry. You should worry too. No boss, no heist. No heist, no money. You help?"

Options:
Try to find out what happened to Tillia (where would you start?)
Tell the ogre you have no idea where to look (do your own thing, you have money now and you can find more jobs elsewhere)
Tell ogre to collect his men and meet you at the town gate tomorrow (stall for time so that you're not tired from hiking all night and have backup)

You have 38017 Gold.
With you you have the patta
1 minor health potion
the piercer
the lucky coin
>>
>>4930586
>Tell ogre to collect his men and meet you at the town gate tomorrow (stall for time so that you're not tired from hiking all night and have backup)
With our mooks, ourselves and the imp we can bring 8 extra eyes to the searchparty after all.
>>
>>4930586
Tell ogre to collect his men and meet you at the town gate tomorrow.

with what happened with Mike and how much money we're carrying, we should stay near crowds. we wouldn't be able to do much if she's being held somewhere anyways.

thoughts:
we last saw Tillia talking to an alchemist after his lab exploded, same day we spoke with her. sunday, two days ago.

if she had died on the day she went missing, she'd have made her way back here already.
so she's probably been kidnapped.
mike was buying knockout drugs, so he's a suspect.
the alchemist is the last person we saw talking with her, so he's a suspect, but that seems less likely.

knockout drugs let someone take down someone above their weight class, so they might not actually be able to take her whole gang+us in a fight. however, she's from a posh family, so it might have something to do with them, rather than with her current operation.

does her family have a presence in the town? might get help there.

the main way this situation can get worse over time (for her) is that she gets removed from this city. how good was the guard around the town? since it wasn't mentioned, I'm guessing smuggling someone out would be pretty easy.

we're not really that invested in her safety or her heist, but we should make an honest effort. if we prove our competence (and either fail to save her, or prove her incompetence), we might inherit some of her minions. \tsun
>>
>>4930644
Supporting investigation on Mike
>>
>>4930616
>>4930644
>>4930692

Alright, so, options:
Investigate Mike right now
Go Shopping, investigate tomorrow.
>>
>>4930917
>Go Shopping, investigate tomorrow.
>>
>>4930917
>Go Shopping, investigate tomorrow.
I'd rather not get caught up having to fight Mike without backup and gear.
>>
>>4930927
>>4930955
Alright, I'll get a list of artifacts, weapons, armor, and generally useful items together.
You can also get more of the inn cleaned up and repaired if you'd like. If there's anything else you want to buy, like horses, wagons, hiring people for the bar, supplies for food and drink. let me know and I'll get prices together for that.
Also, if it's important, for the sake of making it simple, having horses and wagons cut down on travel time by half, but they have to stick to roads or risk getting stuck or broken.
>>
>>4931005
If you need help I have some basic ideas for simple but but for the most part unique abilities, mostly taken from old cartoons/anime. They're all more interesting than what I gave the pata at least
>>
>>4931937
I'm just being a bit slow and lazy about the update due to the heat wave hitting my city. But if you (or anyone reading this) have ideas for simple and useful abilities always feel free to post them, particularly if they're funny or unusual.
>>
>>4932090
Here are my ideas, taken from xiaolin showdown.

A helmet that when active lets the user see out of the back of their head.
An armlet that increases the strength of the user's arms but not the rest of their body.

A gun like device that fires strands of spider silk. The spider silk can also be uses to swing from.

A sash with three wooden tangles resembling nails that can be used a third arm.
>>
Weapons:
Basic DnD-esk arsenal
Swords and knives - short range, good all rounder for lightly armored targets
Pole arms - good range, can be armor piercing or high damage at the cost of speed, fast targets can get inside your guard though
Armor piercing - Good against armored targets, but a bit slower than other kinds of weapons, so nimble targets have a better chance to dodge or block
Ranged - bows are good for multiple lightly armored targets, crossbows are good for fewer, more heavily armored targets
Remember that unaugmented weapons are a month's pay for a Tier 1 version of whomever is buying it (400 for mooks, 800 for you)

Armours:
Light - quiet, reduces all damage by 1 tier (min minor)
Medium - reduces all damage by 2 tiers (min minor)
Heavy - reduces all damage to 0 unless armor piercing, or helpless. Extremely expensive and interferes with skills that require nimbleness
Unaugmented armor goes like this
Light armor is 2 months pay for a Tier 1 version of whomever is buying it.
Medium is 4.
Heavy is 8
These are minimum prices, so if you were to, say, get heavy armor for yourself it would be a minimum cost of 6400, so at that point you might as well get at least Tier 2 armor since the artifact status doesn't increase the cost at all until you get to Tier 3 when the cost becomes 8000 gold.

Shields: What kind of shield isn't really important because I don't want to keep track of if someone has a buckler or a tower shield. Basically having a shield lowers the chance that an enemy will hit by 20% unless the weapon engulfs the player or is specifically made to get around shields. Like nets, "flamethrowers" or poison gas. They cost the same as a weapon of the same Tier.
>>
>>4932160
Artifacts:
Weapons: Weapon artifacts usually have either a ranged attack ability if they're a melee weapon or if they're ranged they'll have a shield or melee ability.
Common weapon abilities.
Tier 1: Major wound at range. Inflict Stun. Set on fire. Inflict poison (1 minor wound every round for 10 rounds)
Tier 2 either doubles the number of charges or increased the damage of the power: 1 mortal wound a day, inflict heavy poison (2 minor wounds every round for 10 rounds)
Tier 3 is double Tier 2, and this keeps going up to Tier 5.

Armor: Either negates an appropriate wound a number of times a day. Quieter than it should be. Extra pockets.
Tier 1: negate 1 minor wound that gets through each day. Tier 2: Negate 1 major wound that gets through each day (or 5 minor wounds) Tier 3: Negate 1 mortal wound that gets through each day (or 5 major or 25 minor)
Note that when negating wounds you cannot negate wounds coming from a weapon of a higher Tier than the armor. For this reason armor is often the highest Tier item a person will have.
Utility armors: Spider climb armor, camouflaged armor, grappling hook armor (doesn't have a retract function that can carry a human until Tier 3 unfortunately)

Utility: Basically anything you can think of that's not directly about attacking or defending. Drilling holes, sticking things together, pushing things away, pulling things toward you (start pulling humans at Tier 2) Create water, create simple food, Walk faster (go 10% faster at Tier 1, 20% at Tier 2, 40% at Tier 3, you get the picture)

Horses and wagons: To make things simple horses are considered mooks. To buy a horse you pay the price of tiering up the 'mook.' This means a basic horse is 6000 gold, a draft horse (that can pull a heavy wagon) is 12000, and a warhorse is 24000. Most people just stick with regular horses though unless they have a specific need like dragging building materials or if they're part of a cavalry group.

Repairing rooms is 200 gold per room. Finishing rooms is an additional (Monthly upkeep based on Tier) per room. So, 200 if you want Tier 1 furniture (pretty bad, basically no better than what you get for free with the renovation) and 400 per room if you want Tier 2 furniture (Stuff you would find in a normal house. Nothing fancy like stuffed pillows or leather recliners, but good enough for the common folk.)
>>
>>4932126
All good, acceptable ideas.
Helmet at Tier 1 would have one use a day.
Armlet works as is, usual usage rules.
Basically an all purpose grapple gun. Works just like the grapple armor, but 1 Tier higher because of its all purpose nature.
Having an extra arm is nice. At Tier 1 it can only copy what one of your other arms is doing, and is relatively fragile. As it Tiers up it becomes more autonomous and stronger. At Tier 3 it's basically an extra arm that you can control. Number of uses vs usefulness is standard.
>>
>>4932090
t2 momentum sink:
>negates the user's momentum on activation, allowing them to turn on a dime and survive any drop. infinite uses.

t2 garment of first form:
>becomes active when worn by someone with no wounds, of at least tier 2.
>while active:
> reduces their tier by 1 for the purpose of rolls. any gear they would not be able to use at that tier is treated as one tier lower.
> when destroyed, wearer regains all health.
> is automatically destroyed when wearer would die.
>multiple can be stacked

t1 wand of unstoppable object:
>1/day can be activated while pointing in a direction to create a grey cube with sides of half a meter. this cube appears at the tip of the wand, and floats in the indicated direction at a rate of twenty centimeters a minute, for five minutes.
>the cube is indestructible and unstoppable, but can be dispelled by destroying the wand (or killing the character if it's an absorbed ability) that created it.
> used as a kind of set and forget way to destroy a solid wall.

going to look at purchases now.
>>
to tier up
3 t1 artifacts for each mook
5 for us
11*2000=22000, leaving 16000 for other stuff. more if people absorb artifacts we already have.

ongoing projects:
>find Tillia
>do a distraction and steal something for ourself over the course of the distraction.

NEED INFO:
Nehme: with 3 absorbed t1 artifacts and 1 t2 artifact, what sort of mayhem would they be able to summon? might be useful to have a distraction for our distraction.

Bobby: what kind of vehicle and engineering related artifacts exist. spec her towards constructing a fast escape vehicle?

what kinds of places look good to rob?
>>
>>4932242
Tier 1 summons are annoying and distracting, but can't really do a lot of damage. Assuming you go full Tier 1 except for 1 Tier 2 book (remember that at Tier 2 Nehme can carry 2 books on its person) you could have 4 annoying summons and 1 that is the equivalent of a lightly armed and armored Tier 1 mook, so a goblinoid or wolf, or cherub, etc. If you wanted fewer summons but with more power Nehme could absorb a Tier 2 and Tier 1 summoning book so that it could summon 2 Tier 1 mook monsters instead of 1.

Bobby would be able to make heavy crossbows, traps that can inflict a major wound when triggered, and simple siege equipment like unfolding ladders and catapults. She can also put more complex machines together though she can't make them from scratch. So she could mount a ballista to a wagon or create a 'wand magazine' to be mounted on a horse or wagon so that someone could use multiple wands in succession without encountering the 'having too many artifacts on their person' problem.
At Tier 1 and 2 engines and powered vehicles are above her pay grade

absorbing higher tier items gives you more power, but lower tier items can give you more adaptability.
>>
>>4932270
ok. misunderstood the bit in the rules here:
>So if a Tier 2 mook wanted to Tier up with Tier 3 artifacts they would only need 1 and a half (if they absorbed 2 the second one would be converted to gold as they leveled up).

thought absorbing higher tier turns it into gold, good that that's not the case.

also this sounds like it means upgrading Mooks to Companion and Bad Guy later has benefits? more expensive, but means they have more powerful absorbed artifacts (assuming lowest possible artifact tiers are used, 1 less for lower tiers, 3 extra on the tier you made them companion)
t1->t2->t3->companion
6000(3 t1)+12000(3 t2)+24000(3 t3)

t1->companion->t2->t3
6000(3 t1)+8000(4 t1)+16000(4 t2)

one thing I don't really like with the system is that gold is awarded automatically, so to create as strong a character as possible, you really want someone who's unbloodied in this life to just pour a bunch of artifacts into. is there a way to remove gold from your experience, or refuse to absorb gold?
>>
>>4932303
Yeah, the whole automatically getting the gold thing is a bit dumb in hindsight. I think I'm going to switch it so that all the gold just gets dropped. I was treating gold like experience, but it's really not, and giving out 'experience' actually makes characters less powerful. Going forward gold drops on the ground like artifacts rather than gets distributed.

And yes, absorbing an artifact only turns that artifact into gold if there would be 'extra' value left over if you tiered up using that artifact.

I hadn't thought about using the companion changeover like that, but that totally works, and could potentially be abused to create a really powerful badguy. Though most people prefer to lock in their status early on, and you can't Tier up at Tier 5 because if you do you just become a minor diety. Most people like to get their status locked down early because you have to act differently when you're a mook, companion, or bad guy. It's as much in the style, pinache, and bearing as it is raw power. So if you had a Tier 4 mook and then gave them 3 Tier 4 items to make them a companion and then another 4 Tier 4 items to make them a badguy they'd be very, very powerful, but they'd have no idea how to act as a bad guy, having lived as a mook up until then. They'd need extensive retraining. But yeah, once they've been retrained they'd be pretty badass.
>>
>>4932242
For Nehme we should get class book tier 1 and 2
>>
>>4932502
Makes sense to me, the third arm might be good for Bobby when she has to do time consuming but simple repetitive engineering
>>
>>4935058
Please tell me this isn't dead
>>
>>4937604
Still here refreshing from time to time