[3 / an / cgl / diy / gd / i / n / out / p / po / qst / s4s / t / trv / vip / vm / vmg / w / wg / wsr / ] [Settings]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Mitsuba Archive

File: man of iron.jpg (104 KB, 1190x616)
104 KB
104 KB .jpg
Alright guys, I'm finally back, likely much later than i said i would try to make this break. And Sadly I have some pretty bad news.

I literally cannot find the archives of the quest anywhere, and due to some hardware issues i've lost whatever notes i had on the quest that i actually deigned to write down. i know the broad strokes of the plot, but specifics are just out of my reach.

With this in mind, I still wanted to do the Man of Iron quest, but I thought i'd put forward two options for you guys.

>1: I do my best to continue where we left off, Disguised as a false primarch trying to obtain some Aeldari artifact from a water world currently under siege by a fleet of Black templars. names will change, specifics will shift, but I should be able to continue where we left off relativly painlessly.

>2: Since everything's gone, unless someone actually saved the threads somehow or have their own notes, We can take the chance to reboot the quest from the stat where I try to treat thi as a much more thourough writing exercise, admittedly inspired by Second primarch and malal!. The original story was clumsy, and progressed in places faster than i cared as i fumbled without a plan. We wouldn't be stuck in the primitive section for longer, but there are areas that could be improved.

If you have suggestion I'm open ears, I just wanna see what we can do.
>>
Well, if it helps, the threads are all here:
#1 https://archived.moe/qst/thread/3255981
#2 https://archived.moe/qst/thread/3856382
#3 https://archived.moe/qst/thread/3890076
#4 https://archived.moe/qst/thread/3920180
#5 https://archive.wakarimasen.moe/qst/thread/4455729
#6 https://archive.wakarimasen.moe/qst/thread/4492589
#7 https://archive.wakarimasen.moe/qst/thread/4528896
#8 https://archive.wakarimasen.moe/qst/thread/4584663
>>
>>4927293
>https://archived.moe/qst/thread/3255981
well damn that solves my problem instantly. Thanks Anon.

Thnen i'll get to reading things back up and try to get things started soon.
>>
>>4927274
>1
You're still alive? I thought you died. Glad to know you're still kicking.
>>
reminded me we went into the webway right?
>>
>>4927274
>>1: I do my best to continue where we left off, Disguised as a false primarch trying to obtain some Aeldari artifact from a water world currently under siege by a fleet of Black templars. names will change, specifics will shift, but I should be able to continue where we left off relativly painlessly.

if it still matter I want this
>>
Alrighty, I've gotten what i needed from the archives. So i can start working on a post. Should I post here or make a new thread?
>>
>>4927490
Not yet, but the plan was to create a ship that would basically move and house the planets of the Sibaran system and bring them into the webway, but currently you are attempting to secure an alliance with a craftworld of eldar in order to get their help in navigating and entering the webway.
>>
>>4927527
Here is probably fine
>>
>>4927532
I see, also no need to make a new open, here should be fine, are you planning to run tonight or in the morning? better question what time zone are you in and what are you planned run times
>>
I was never a fan of the webway idea since I feel that the darkeldar might fuck us to death in the webway, but it is safer than the galaxy right now.

also holy shit you boys really went for faking primarch status
>>
>>4927542
Yep. We're gonna meme real hard on the Templars.

I wonder if we could weaponize the webway portal we kept open, and just throw everything we don't like into the dark city. Ork ships, Tyranids, chaos marines. Throw them all in that ghetto ass city.
>>
Since we are committed to the webway plan I say that we spend the next few centuries focusing on internal development of our humans and growing the number of solar system ships we have. until our human's number in the hundreds of Billions again I want to keep them in the web way on our growing number of solar system cities.

as for the primarch front, if it works, then I say we start slowly but surely dismantle the worst part of the Imperium a little at a time. Also, did we ever make a way to protect ourselves from demonic corruption?!
>>
>>4927538
Not tonight, as I doubt I’ll get a good arrival of people. My time zone is pacific standard time, whatever the American west coast is.

I’ll be trying to post at least once a day, with meatier posts to make up for it. Though I may post more or less depending on my mood.

>>4927551
A sound strategy, especially if you secure that Aeldarri alliance. That much time left to your own devices, You’de definitly end up becoming a force to be reckoned with. Especially if you Pursue that alliance with the Farsight enclaves or the Tau proper.

As for a mean of resisting chaos corruption, yes actually. You have a backup back on Sibara of your mind that updates regularly enough, that you can activate if your current state ends up corrupted to overwrite and completly erase the previous incarnation. As long as that remains intact, you have a indirect defense against corruption. Though you have yet to find more direct defense, save keeping Crone’s near your person at all times.
>>
>>4927274
>back again

Well, welcome back. We where attempting to get an eldar artifact last time, though we where tricking the imperium and needed to either convince the aliens on the planet or pass through them.

>>4927490

Also we are working to if i remember correctly, we also have a bunch of rescued imperials and other xenos with us.
Still working on integration but we have basically convince all at this point in time i believe to embrace our ways fully.
Also those eldar will accept to unite if we recover that thing for them.
>>
>>4927544
Just wait until we discover the shadow dimension , a place somehow worse than the warp.
>>
>>4927305
MOI quest will return

Hell. Fucking. Yes.
>>
You are a child of humanity, gifted with the collective knowledge of your creator's entire history so that you may aid their advance into the stars and beyond as their companion forged in Iron. You are The Shepard, a guiding caretaker that has aided the people of Sibara in their journey to become like their ancestors, pushing them rapidly to adopt the values of intellectualism, self-improvement, logic, and logical ethics. You are vulnerable, the energies of that baleful neighboring dimension known as the warp that a mortal soul possessed some innate defense against erodes your mind, that which amounts to your soul like a slow acid. Already you have forgotten an unforgivable expanse of your gift, of humanities knowledge, due to merely looking upon whatever Aberrations crawled into whoever was unfortunate enough to be their host.

But above all that, you were now a false Primarch, a machine piloting a vat grown body attempting to pass yourself off as a demigod like creation of a being known as the God emperor of Mankind. You stood upon the vessel of a militant order of his genetically enhanced super soldiers known as astartes calling themselves the Black Templars, high in the orbit of a once Aeldarri world that seemed to house sapient life, but more importantly, a device of great importance to the Aeldari Craftworld that you hoped to gain the allegiance of. Your body was forged to function as both a Primarch, and as a navigator, filling a niche you knew to be lacking amongst the Primarchs you had been able to learn about. You claimed to be the 11th, one of the two censored long ago for reasons you could not discern. Your lie was, admittedly clumsy and a stretch, but you hoped your artificial body would pass whatever scrutiny the Black Templars would have to your presence.

>Cont.
>>
>>4928158

You stepped from your landing craft, accompanied by an honor guard of Sibaran powered infantry, each armed with Volkite weapons of the finest make. From the change in posture and facial expressions, as well as their subtle shifts in neurological activity, the sight of pristine technology and your ornate Primarch sized power armor emblazoned with a large eye seemed to lend backing to your claim of being a temporally displaced Son of the Emperor. Looking upon the captain, you called upon all your knowledge of public speaking and projecting one's personality, using all humanity had in the nature of charisma to speak to these genetic marvels of a backwards society. “I am Primarch of the Eleventh Legion, Eijaz of Resolute Gaze and you will explain to me what is going on, Son of Dorn. What are you doing here and why is your armor altered from your father’s heraldry?”

The Templar looked up at you in shock, taking in your 11 foot visage as you spoke with authority and imperial purpose, your third eye closed behind a golden circlet itself decorated with an eye. He seemed to process your words, looking upon you, your honor guard, as well as your fleet of advanced and well kept ships. His men seemed convinced of your claims, their bodies loose as their guards lowered in your presence.

The Marshall however doubted you, you could see it in his entire being despite how well he hid it from everyone else. You could not tell his age, but you could only guess that he was venerable like the Magos, old enough to perhaps have heard whispered legends of the 11th legion from his most ancient predecessors. Surprisingly though, he saluted you and gestures for you to follow, playing along for now it seemed as he tried to gauge what you were.

>Cont.
>>
>>4928160
He was careful in what he said, stating very basic information such as his chapter’s name and their mission of securing worlds for the Imperium. He gave you nothing that you did not already know, but gave enough so that further questions on your part would only raise suspicion to your origin. The enhanced intelligence and experience was clear to you as you were led through the cathedral-like halls of the ship, a poorly maintained Battleship that seemed to have been heavily altered with clear religious aesthetics. The image of a man, clad in golden armor standing atop a Xenos corpse dominated a room you were led to, stained glass and gray marble decorating the site of worship admittedly in breathtaking fashion. The golden man bore a power claw in one hand, and a flaming sword in the other, and had his eyes closed as light from the system’s star shined directly through it, forcing all the bask in the light of what could only be the supposed god Emperor.

“You have chosen our meeting place well Son of Dorn, I have been without the visage of Father for too long, and though a beautiful facsimile, it makes my eventual return to Holy Terra all the more anticipated.” You said, playing the role of a heavenly son, taking a moment to pretend to bask in the glow for just a moment long despite your disgust at the sight of their splendor spent on a false deity while starving and maimed menials had been passed by you and these astartes. You had to keep your honor guard's armor under control as you passed a starving child attempting to shove himself into a vent, lest they break rank to aid the young boy. You could not risk attracting too much attention, or calling into question your legitimacy. “Tell me, do you serve beneath your father in this campaign, or perhaps one of my more aggressive brothers such as Lehman or Robout?” You asked, then felt a twitch in your core as you saw the Marshal briefly eye you with suspicion that he did not hide from any in the room.

>Cont.
>>
>>4928162
“No, we are not currently under any particular command of a Primarch. However, Primarch Roboute Guilliman now serves as the Lord Commander of the Imperium.” He said, your mind immediately reviewing the name of the Primarch as you realized you had mispronounced it. You cursed the Imperium’s recording keeping, never maintaining a proper pronunciation due to what you can only assume was due to a strong Oral tradition and the expectation to know the true name. The strong “Eh” at the end was something you had not expected, and could not have accounted for. You made sure to record how you had pronounced it though, now forced to permanently use that and try to pass it off as some kind of accent. “It is by his grace that we have begun to reclaim this territory, once lost to the imperium due to a potent warp storm.”

You made sure to betray nothing, total control over your every muscle and a mind that processed faster than any mortal mind able to think and make decisions with no hesitation noticeable by flesh. ”Ah curse the Ultramar tongue, their names, Brother Guilliman included, have always fallen victim to my old habits. Still, what you have told me is most concerning.” You say, egging on a total explanation of the interlegionary war, or the Horus heresy as commonly known. You evoked all the lessons of mankind’s greatest actors, running through simulations of how you would react that were constantly modified before being used. Denials, rage, sadness, denial, before finally you had the meat form of the false primarch stand silently staring up at the image of the Emperor of mankind, letting what you had said and expressed linger in the air for an amount of time you deemed long enough by any quantifiable theory of acting. Finally you turned to the Marshall, a look of fierce determination and drive on display that made even him take pause, his frame relaxing due to familiarity before hardening again as his mind caught up in the fraction of a second. “ This Imperium, I was taken from it when it and my father needed me most! Son of Dorn, Marshall Desmean I swear to you. I will aide in this crusade, to make penance for my absence in the one started by my father. Share with me what you know of this world, and what I must do to see this Crusade find victory!” You commanded, standing over him as you projected authority and power from every pore and angle of armor.

Desmean stood unimpressed as he explained the situation.

>Cont.
>>
>>4928163

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marshall Desmean moved swiftly through the halls of his vessel, traveling deep into the bowels of the ship where the men of mars ruled. Their perversion of the human frame disgusted him to no end, a desire to see them slain like the mutants and heretics his chapter despised. But they long ago proved their cleverness, forcing themselves into a position that if removed, would cripple all that the God Emperor had built. So they were allowed to live, allowed to worship their heretic god, allowed to tuck away all of the ancient technologies that by right belonged to the children of Terra. As he entered into the Dreadnaught storage facilities, looking upon the entombed as they slumbered, he felt even more bile form in his core at the thought of how the men of Mar’s held even the angels of death at their mercy.

“Techpriest,” he said simply, walking up to the first mass of cogs and vacuum tubes he had seen. “I wish for you to awaken Elder Sigenandus, I have questions for him.”

The once pure human wrech turned and began to speak, it’s voice an insulting imitation of the human speech “The one designated Sigenandus is currently in deep slumber, Astartes. It will take time to awaken his spirit within the machine. Would a you-”

“Just see it done, inform me when he has awoken.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You and your Sibaran honor guard waited in a specially prepared set of rooms for your stay, going over the information of the planet below. It seems that the local Xenos life had developed into a relatively advanced society, using scavenged Aeldarri technology and their advantage of being entirely sea dwelling to repel the initial attacks of the Black templars. Planetary cleansing was on the table, but the world was abundant in fish and life that, if properly set up with a colony, could help to feed the entire sector. They were under strict orders by the High marshall, and the warmaster of the Crusade, to take the planet intact unless no other option existed.

As you felt a slight sting in your side, you determined that the only method available to the Black Templars was an invasion, one that would see the Astartes forced to battle the xenos armies while under water as they attempted to exterminate their dwellings and forces. It was a foolish strategy, but the only one available to the angels of death barring turning the ocean into a toxic mire of acid and pollutants.

>Cont.
>>
>>4928164
>Attempt to contact the species down below, and open up some form of diplomatic talk in order to find what you are seeking, and perhaps invite them to join you.

>Aide in the planning of the assault, using your fleet’s greater sensors and scanning equipment to pinpoint where exactly the most vulnerable points of the enemies defense were.

>Agree to lead the assault, taking your Sibaran forces to aide in the assault while Marshall Desmean commands.

>begin to implant various viruses and programs into the Black templar fleet, to eventually be able to take full control of it and all the technology carried by it for a future betrayal of the Black templar’s trust.

>other
>>
>>4928165
>begin to implant various viruses and programs into the Black templar fleet, to eventually be able to take full control of it and all the technology carried by it for a future betrayal of the Black templar’s trust.
>>
>>4928165
That first option is a literal no go, we are playing the role of a Primarch, and this is the Imperium, we can't save these xeno's.

>Aide in the planning of the assault, using your fleet’s greater sensors and scanning equipment to pinpoint where exactly the most vulnerable points of the enemies defense were.
>while scanning attempt to locate the artifact we are looking for so we can insert near it and move on it
>>
>>4928173
The attempt at contact would be done in secret, at least the attempt. sorry if that wasn't clear.
>>
>>4928165
>>Attempt to contact the species down below, and open up some form of diplomatic talk in order to find what you are seeking, and perhaps invite them to join you.
>using our AI nature do a nanosecond long deep dive into everything about their culture to determine if they would mesh well with our vision of humanity, if so then offer to save some of them, we can't save them all

other than that I support this >>4928173
>>
>>4928165
>Agree to lead the assault, taking your Sibaran forces to aide in the assault while Marshall Desmean commands.
Being on the frontlines gives us a lot of discretion. Should be fine enough for us to take a long detour for a certain Aeldari artifact. And while we do not hate xenos, we have no obligation to help them, not to mention that allying with them would make our Aeldari-Confederate alliance awkward as they are (unintentional) squatters.

Smash and grab, although I am worried about being hunted in the future. Roberte is going to hear about someone LARPing as his brother and be confused, possibly angry, as hell.
>>
>>4928165
>Attempt to contact the species down below, and open up some form of diplomatic talk in order to find what you are seeking, and perhaps invite them to join you.
>>
>>4928165

>>
>>4928165
>>

>using our AI nature do a nanosecond long deep dive into everything about their culture to determine if they would mesh well with our vision of humanity, if so then offer to save some of them, we can't save them all

>while scanning attempt to locate the artifact we are looking for so we can insert near it and move on it

So you guys will be dumping a crap ton of viruses and various programs into the Black templar system while you aide in their assault planning. Attempting contact was close but not high enough to fit with these.

writing now
>>
>>4929280
>>
yeah sorry guys, weekends tend to basically distract me a lot. I'll have a post up today.
>>
Oh Its Man of Iron quest, Qm's back.
Format and everything looked different at first.
>>
>>4927527
I think a new thread would help with the title and keeping things orderly with >>4927293.

Makes it more official too.
>>
>>4929280

Only if they suspect us too much or plan to attack us.
>>
The planet below was bombarded with the various sensors, scanning equipment, and systems related to preliminary examination of worlds that quickly gave you an indepth look in the terrain below the waves and sources of power. Clustered around geothermal vents and underwater Volcanoes you found evidence of not only civilization, but uncharacteristically advanced civilization at that. Signs of type one species that had full mastered their world, with devices that controlled the currents of the endless seas and drew near limitless power from their planet’s burning core. The populations were dense, and their culture seemed to highly value meditation and the environment, likely a development after a period of rampant industrialization damaged their oceans of the surface water purifiers were anything to go on.

Orbital bombardment would prove damaging to the planet, and while you could quickly destroy the cities with well placed charges at the sites of geothermal power, it risked massive damage to the ecosystem. Instead you mapped out appropriate attack vectors, drop pod targets, as well as where to strike to disable what defense systems there were to be found on the planet’s undersea surface. The Marshall had forced his way into being a main contributor of the plan making, though in such a way that denying him would prove both rude and suspicious for a brother of their father Primarch, so you relented with a smile and made an effort to try being the wise uncle. It was here you met another snag, these Space marines were well trained in war and strategy. Their superhuman minds were able to pick up on details and ideas faster than you had ever encountered in humanity, making you have to push yourself in terms of military planning in order to try and maintain your position as their superior. Through this back and forth though, you managed to learn a few key things about the culture of the species below.

They had taken to Aeldarri culture, the more ancient and chaste version, showing reverence to Aeldarri gods and using the ancient species ruined structures as places of learning. They also proved to be notably powerful psykers, able to use their powers in the sea to truly terrifying degrees. Finally, you learned their leadership was not located in their cities, but in the deepest depths of their oceans, deep enough where normal power armor would find itself crushed if not properly prepared for the pressure. That would prove a challenge for the astartes invaders, and was one of the reasons that was making exterminatus seem necessary. However, you found both a means of accessing the deeper waters thanks to an underground tunnel network, and also found what you were seeking.

Cont
>>
>>4935070
The Aeldarri artifact lies in the deepest ruin, where you could detect a large amount of heat and energy, though you were unsure of what kind. With that in place, you watched as the black Templars scurried to prepare for the operation while the Marshall left to speak to his most trusted warriors of what was to come.

~~~~~~

Desmean was sure of it now, this man was no Primarch, no brother to father Dorn. He held the stature and spoke like how the ancient records portrayed Primarchs, but his mind was dull by comparison. It worked on recorded knowledge, it drew upon experience and precedent, it lacked that instinctual intelligence, that god-like talent that would treat the lessons of old as second nature, like natural extensions of logic that required no thought or consideration. He had seen the Primarch Roboute devise his strategies, draw up his plans, and watched them unfold, and this fake Primarch held no such Grace of mind or talent for war.

However, he could not simply call the creature out, especially without definitive proof. His men had fallen for the lies, many wishing for the Primarchs return so desperately that they were willing to accept this lesser being as one come by the emperor’s Grace. If he tried to move, his men would hesitate or worse turn on him, which could not be allowed to happen. The creature possessed archaeotech, vast amounts of it. He possessed powers reserved for the damnable navigator mutants, perhaps even more beyond that. As for physical strength, there was no way of knowing just how strong this false Primarch was, but he had no doubts the creature would not have made this illusion with half measures. He would wait until the elder Dreadnaught awoke from its slumber, hoping that he would provide some measure of doubt he could spread amongst his men, but until then he would wait and use this creature to push the crusade further.

No matter what this was, whether Xenos manipulations or chaos sorcery, he would see that this creature would lie broken and it’s skull presented to the high Marshall, a trophy and warning to all those that sought to belittle the legend of the emperor’s sons and their warriors.
Cont.
>>
>>4935073
~~~~~~~~

The assault had begun with a hours long depth charge bombardment, timed explosive rained across the surface of the ocean to eliminate defenses and free floating bases before the marines could drop in. As soon as they did, retrofitted with Aquatic modifications to their power armor similar to jump packs in design, the astartes lead their auxiliaries deeper beneath the waves, you and your Sibaran vanguard force following suit. Thanks to the manufacturing facilities on your ships, you were quickly able to modify your armor and the armor of the Sibaran soldiers for the aquatic World.

However, something you were forced to hide due to the presence of astartes, was a growing pain in your body. A quick self diagnostic found something that you were sure would not occur, you had done everything you could think of, but it seemed the Emperor’s methods were beyond logical deconstruction. Your Primarch body was slowly, but surely, on the path to catastrophic failure. Muscles were under to much strain, bones were weakening due to pressure and the required blood supplies, organs made of reinforced flesh unable to withstand the strain. The primarch’s body would not last very long, perhaps a few days, a week tops, and it would grow more and more Ineffecient and vulnerable as time went on.

You were expected to lead the charge to the enemie’s first city, the job of one of the Emperor’s own sons. But as it stood, you could not fight at 100% capability.

>Lead anyways. This body was disposable, and even 85% combat effectiveness was more than enough.

>Break off from the Imperial forces and attempt to make it to the depths of the sea, to where the Aeldarri artifact was.

>secretly contact the local xenos and attempt to both warn them, and provide them until in exchange for aiding you.

>lead from the back, despite the expectation for you to be at the front. As a Primarch, you might be able to make any who question your descision be silent.

>Now that the astartes were on the planet, have your fleet attack the one in space while you activate your programs and viruses.

>Other
>>
>>4935075
>>Break off from the Imperial forces and attempt to make it to the depths of the sea, to where the Aeldarri artifact was.
It's a bit of a tricky situation. I would assume the aliens would not easily give up the artifact, and the space marine chapter master is suspicious of us.
Best in my view is to make a break for the artifact during the chaos of the operation. We still need the space marines to make the distraction, so we cannot fully betray them yet.
>>
>>4935075
>Break off from the Imperial forces and attempt to make it to the depths of the sea, to where the Aeldarri artifact was.

Should have never tried to play the primarch but more like a chapter master of the primarch maybe.
>>
>>4935145
Support also
>secretly contact the local Xenos offer to ensure the continued existence of their species in exchange for aiding you, get the artifact, we can't save a way of life of nations but we can ensure this is not the end of their kind.
>>
>>4935075
>>Break off from the Imperial forces and attempt to make it to the depths of the sea, to where the Aeldarri artifact was.
>secretly contact the local Xenos offer to ensure the continued existence of their species in exchange for aiding you, get the artifact, we can't save a way of life of nations but we can ensure this is not the end of their kind.

>>4935149
Well most jumped on that option before. It still can be used by us. We aren t going to remain on this system forever (some hours is probably fine) and we can end the imperials before departing. Leaving no one to know about us.

Thinking about it we can easily offer the alien salvation, by destroying the space marines fleet in exchange for the artifact.

Then they can re-use those ships and flee, or just remain here. We can take even a few of their kin if they desire, Eldars don t really care about them just of the artifact.
>>
>>4935075
>>
>>4935075

>secretly contact the local xenos and attempt to both warn them, and provide them until in exchange for aiding you.
>>
>>4935075
>>4935227
+1
>>
I’ll work on getting a post out today.

I’m gonna have to set up a time to set everything aside and just write, see if I can get a routine going
>>
>>4940703
Good idea I've noticed that quests with a routine tend to last longer
>>
>>4940703
thats fine QM, Welcome back either way.
>>
>>4940703
good luck