[3 / an / cgl / diy / gd / i / n / out / p / po / qst / s4s / t / trv / vip / vm / vmg / w / wg / wsr / ] [Settings]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Mitsuba Archive

File: 6MolMWp.png (4450 KB, 1920x1080)
4450 KB
4450 KB .png
The year is unknown. It has been many generations since the moment of fire, the point where the world was engulfed in flames and most of the population was killed off. Nobody knows why it happened, some say it was a war that caused it, some say it was the act of an Old God who unleashed his wrath upon mankind, and some even claim it never happened at all. What caused it matters not. Now the world is a desolate and harsh place where only the strongest survive.

You have lived in this village all of your life. You have lived in relative safety, surrounded by strong warriors and family who could protect you from any attacking raiders, wild animals, or whatever other unknown dangers inhabit this horrific planet. But you are 18 now, it is time to prove your worth as a man. You must make your journey into the Oldlands, a journey all men must take at this age. If you can survive and return to the village in 3 months time, you will be accepted as one of them. If not, it is only because you have died on your journey.

You are a very skilled young man. You were taught by the village warriors in all of the essential skills a young man must have, but you possess a natural talent for:
>Hunting
>Scavenging
>Fighting (using your tribe's signature weapon, the spear)
>Write in
>>
>>4968894
>>Scavenging
>>
>Fighting (using your tribe's signature weapon, the spear)
INFINITEVIOLENCEINFINITEVIOLENCEINFINITEVIOLENCE
>>
>>4968894
>>Fighting (using your tribe's signature weapon, the spear)
>>
>>4968894
>>Scavenging
>>
>>4968894
>Interpretative dance
>>
>>4968894
>Scavenging
>>
>>4968894
>Scavenging
>>
>>4968894
>Scavenging
The Old World must be preserved so its fate it's not repeted.
>>
>>4969024
>>Scavenging
>>
>>4968894
>Scavenging
>>
File: kimmo-kaunela-2.jpg (873 KB, 1920x1080)
873 KB
873 KB .jpg
>>4968894
You are a very skilled young man. You were taught by the village warriors in all of the essential skills a young man must have, but you possess a natural talent for scavenging.

It is the day of your departure. The warriors of the village, as well as your family and a few women and children, stand in a group at the village entrance. There are no tears shed nor goodbyes wailed, it is understood by all that what you are about to do is sacred and necessary. You take a few steps beyond the village, turn towards the crowd, give a small nod, and turn away to begin your journey.

====

You have been traveling for some hours. You are beginning to feel hungry when you reach the top of a dusty hill and see it in the distance: The Oldland. You have never seen it in person, but you have heard many descriptions of it from the warriors in the village. It is where the Oldfolk lived, characterized by the ruins of their ancient civilization. You can see bits of metal and stone sticking out of the dusty ground, buried by years of inactivity. You can also see the dilapidated ruins of their old buildings, almost unrecognizable as such. The signs of a previous civilization dot the landscape as far into the horizon as you can see.

You stand on the hill, taking it all in, when suddenly your stomach gives a growl. You took no food on your journey, you took nothing but the cloths on your back, a spear, and an ancient "sparkmaker" from the old world, a gift from your great grandfather which he gave you as a small child. You stand there, thinking for a moment more, before deciding to:
>Scavenge for some food before entering the Oldland
>Push on into the Oldland and think about food later
>Write in
>>
>>4969054
>>Scavenge for some food before entering the Oldland
>>
>>4969054
>>
>>4969054
>>Scavenge for some food before entering the Oldland
>>
>>4969054
>>
>>4969054
You stand there, thinking for a moment more, before deciding to scavenge for some food before entering the Oldlands.

You spend some time looking around on top of the hill and come across some large beetles which you gladly munch on. Additionally, you find some sweet cacti which you pick out of the cracked earth and eat quite happily. While searching around the ground for more beetles something catches your eye. You bend down to get a better look and see a small knife of some sort. You pick it up and examine it further. It's unlike any knife you've ever seen; it's very small, the blade being about the size of your pinky finger, and can fold into the handle, thus allowing it to be safely carried without a sheath. Knowing this must be a relic from the old world, you slip the knife into your pocket, thinking it could be useful.

After slipping the knife into your pocket you look up into the sky to see the sun slowly dipping into the horizon. You must have spent more time than you had thought scavenging for food. You know you must act quickly, and decide to:
>Make a run for the Oldlands and use one of the old buildings as cover for the night
>Build a fire on top of the hill and head for the Oldlands in the morning
>Write in
>>
>>4969079
>Build a fire on top of the hill and head for the Oldlands in the morning
Never rush into the unknown.
>>
>>4969079
>Make a run for the Oldlands and use one of the old buildings as cover for the night
Fortune favours the bold. One can not always wait for better times, for duty accepts no excuses.
>>
>>4969079
>>Make a run for the Oldlands and use one of the old buildings as cover for the night
>>
>>4969079
You know you must act quickly, and decide to make a run for the Oldlands and use one of the old buildings as cover for the night.

You dash down the hill and begin running towards the Oldlands. When you reach it, about half of the sun has dipped below the horizon, with the other half slowly melting into it. You swing your head around looking for something that might be able to provide some cover for the night. Your eyes fall upon a tall stone wall surrounded by a few piles of rubble about a quarter mile to your left. You glance in the other direction and not too far off you spot a gigantic dead tree with branches large, and high, enough to conceal you for the night, albeit not comfortably. You weigh your options and decide to head for:
>The wall
>The tree
>Further into the Oldlands hoping to find better shelter
>>
>>4969256
>>The wall
>>
>>4969256
>>The tree
>>
>>4969256
Tree
>>
>>4969368
>>4969454
Roll 1D20, best of 3.
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>4969502
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>4969502
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>4969502
>>
>>4969256
>>4969502
You make a run for the tree. Once you reach it, you see that the lowest limbs hang about two feet above your head, however you're able to jump and get a lucky grab onto one of the lower branches. You climb about half-way up the tree and find a set of large branches you can stretch out across. It's not comfortable, but you're exhausted from your long walk today, and the sun has now fully dipped below the horizon, so you close your eyes and attempt to get a wink of sleep.

====

You open your eyes to the sound of someone coughing. It's morning, with the sun being barely above the horizon. You lay there for a moment, not making any sudden moves, before slowly rolling over onto your side to look at the ground below. You see a bald man on the ground below, resting up against the old tree, obviously exhausted. He has a crude scrap metal sword lying at his side and is wearing what you assume is supposed to be armor, also made from scrap metal. This must be one of the Wanders the warriors warned you about. They are said to wander the Oldlands, scavenging for anything they can find, and often killing anyone who has this misfortune of wandering into their land.

The man has his head held low, his chest slowly rising and falling. You aren't sure if he's asleep or not, but he certainly is resting comfortably. You slowly reach for your spear and pull it close. You:
>Try to aim your spear and stab him from the branches above
>Yell out to him, asking him what his business here is
>Wait until he goes away
>Write in
>>
>>4969927
Why is he exhausted is a good question.
>>
>>4969927
>>Yell out to him, asking him what his business here is

We have the high ground!
>>
>>4969927
>>
>>4969927
You yell out to him, asking him what his business here is.

The man jolts awake and glances up at you, startled. He jumps to his feet, quickly scooping up his sword as he does so, and puts it at he ready. "W-what'd you say ta' me?" he yells up at you, clearly shaken. You figure this is the first time he's ever awoken to find an armed man in the tree above him, so you cut him some slack.

"I said what's your business here?" you yell back.

"What's it ta' you?" he says, shifting his weight from foot to foot. "This is my fuckin' turf, and you better get the fuck off it before I rip you down from that fuckin' tree!"

You notice as he is talking he has let his sword drop down a bit as if it was too heavy for him. This man is clearly tired, and probably not in optimal fighting condition.

"Are you with a clan of Wanderers?" you ask, "Or are you by yourself? Exiled, maybe?"

"Well now that aint really any o' your fuckin' business is it?" he spits.

You can tell the man is scared by you, and most likely doesn't really want to give you any information about himself. After a moment of silence staring each other down, you:
>Jump down from the tree and attack
>Tell him you can tell he's exhausted and that you don't want to hurt him, only leave him alone
>Tell him you mean no harm and would only like to talk
>Write in

Sorry, don't have an image for this one
>>
>>4970600
>>
>>4970600
>>Tell him you mean no harm and would only like to talk
>>
>>4970600
>>Tell him you mean no harm and would only like to talk
>>
>>4970600
>>
>>4970600
>write in "oi cunt why should i respect your turf if i don't know who you are ya cunt"
>>
>>4970600
After a moment of silence staring each other down, you yell down to him that you mean no harm and only want to talk things out.

He pauses for a moment, clearly surprised at this suggestion. Knowing the kind of people who live out here, fighting anyone he finds is probably all he knows. "T-talk about what?" he says, clearly flustered and confused. His sword has now completely dropped to his side.

"Well, you seem very tired," you respond calmly, gesturing towards his sword, "maybe if you let me down from here we can help each other out, ya know?"

The man stands there for a moment in silence before looking up, giving you a slight nod, and then collapsing to the ground. You quickly climb down the tree and walk over to the man, bending down to check his pulse. He's still alive. You turn him on his back and see that he is breathing slowly. His lips are dry and cracked, and you see no water skin on his side. He was most likely exiled from his clan, and has been wandering without water since then. You remember you still have a few chunks of the cactus you picked yesterday on this hill in your pockets. Do you:
>Leave him for dead, heading further into the Oldlands
>Skin the cactus and squeeze some of it's liquid into his mouth
>Write in
>>
>>4973098
>>Skin the cactus and squeeze some of it's liquid into his mouth

It is not wise to leave a man to die from thirst in a parched land.
>>
>>4973098

Let's be a good man, this cursed land needs some kindness
>>
>>4973098
>>
>>4973098
>>
>>4973098
>>
>>4973131
>>4973486
>>4973546
>>4973640
>>4973650
Roll 1d6 to see how much liquid you can extract from the plants. Best of 3.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d6)

>>4973673
>>
Rolled 3 (1d6)

>>4973673
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>4973673
>>
>>4973673
You skin all of the pieces you have left and squeeze them until every last drop has been consumed by the unconscious man. A few moments go by before the man finally starts to shake his head from side to side, obviously coming to. He opens his eyes slowly, looking up at you for a moment before mouthing something. You can't quite hear what he's saying, so you bend down and hear him whisper "T-thank you."

You help him to his feet, but once you take your arm from around him he collapses to the ground again. You help him back up, this time keeping your arm around his waste. "Come on," you say to him, "we've got to get you somewhere safe to rest. The buzzards'll get you out here."

====

You carry the man further into the Oldlands, traveling for about an hour, passing many ruined buildings and dead trees, before you finally come across an old building which isn't too dilapidated. It has no roof, but all of the stone walls but one are almost fully standing, the last one only being half of a wall with the other half being nothing but a a pile of rubble. You trudge through the rubble to enter into the building, laying the man down against the far wall to rest. The place smells awful. It has a sickly sweet stench that you can't quite place. Your eyes begin to water, but you need a safe place to rest, and this is the first one you came across in many miles.

By now it is Noon, and the man seems to be doing much better. "How're you feeling?" you ask him.

He lifts his head to look at you, although you notice that he won't meet your eyes. "A lot better... thanks to you... I guess." He bows his head in a shameful manner.

Do you:
>Search for the source of the odor
>Search the house for anything useful
>Ask the man why he seems so ashamed
>Write in
>>
>>4974135
>Search for the source of the odor
Give him time to contemplate and maybe he'll start talking on his own.
>>
"Did you shit yourself, sir? There is a strong odor coming from your general direction, and I would like to avoid any bacterial infections you may spread via your aura of feces."
>>
>>4974135
>>Search for the source of the odor
>>
>>4974146
>>4974238
Roll 1d100 for a perception check, 70 or under makes it.
>>
Rolled 98 (1d100)

>>4974382
>>
Rolled 19 (1d100)

>>4973098
>>4974148

hope to god he drank non-poisonous cactus water as most kinds give you diarrhea lol

If not, it's probably something rotting, I can't tell where
>>
Rolled 37 (1d100)

>>4974382
>>
>>4974135
You sniff around for a bit, trying to locate the source of the smell. As you go towards the corner opposite where the man is sitting, you notice the vile smell gets stronger. The corner of the house has some small shrubs growing from the dusty earth, so you move them aside to get a better look at the ground, when suddenly you're face to face with the head of a rotting corpse. You jump back and let out a yell, startled. "What is it?" the man shouts at you from the far wall.

"c-corpse" is all you're able to stutter out. You've seen plenty of corpses in your day, but never one this decomposed. You take a moment to catch your breath before you slowly move the brush again to take another look. It's a man, you think, and you notice he has the same scrap metal armor that your new friend wears. He only has half of a face, with the other half being completely gone. It looks like a hole was blown through it. You've never seen anything that could do this much damage to a person, and you bend over and vomit a bit. "I-i think he's one of you," you stutter.

"Ahh, wouldn't really surprise me," the man retorts, "the boys use this place as a dumping grounds sometimes when things get messy back home." You turn your head back to the body, pinching your nose to help mask the smell.
Do you:
>Attempt to loot the body for anything useful
>Walk back over to the man and ask him more about his people
>Search the house for useful items
>Write in
>>
>>4974797
>>
>>4974797
>>
>>4974797
>>Search the house for useful items
>>
>>4974797
>>
>>4974808
>Attempt to loot the body for anything useful and ask buddy to keep watch
>>
>>4974797
>>
>>4974808
>>4974905
>>4974923
>>4975067
>>4975547
>>4976026
Only need one more vote to break the tie!

Sorry for taking a while, I've had a busy weekend. I hope you all have been enjoying the quest so far though! :)
>>
>>4976222
roll for it, or just do both if possible. Its not a game breaking choice is it?
>>
>>4974797

>>
>>4976252
Alright, next time I'll just do one of those two. Sorry, I thought it was frowned upon to roll for a decision.

>>4976365
Writing the next installment now.
>>
>>4974797
You look down at the body in disgust. You're not happy with what you're about to do, but you know it could have something useful on it. You bend down, left hand still clasping your nose, and begin to rummage around in it's pockets. All you find is some moldy bread and a toothpick. Next you search around the ground next to the body and find a piece of scrap metal with a belt attached to it. You pick it up out of curiosity and quickly realize it's a shield, meant to be strapped around the wearer's arm. It's half broken, but it could still prove useful in a pinch, so you strap it to your arm. You look back down at the body and see the broken bits of scrap metal armor still attached to it. You salvage what pieces you can, which happen to be the chest-plate and thigh-guards.

You walk back over to the man ordained in your new gear. "Ah," he says as you approach him, "you look just like one of us."

"Who exactly is 'us'?" you ask, taking a seat next to him.

He looks at you for a moment, thoughtfully, before leaning his head against the wall and sighing. "Well," he begins, "I used ta' be part of a clan of Wanderers ya see, called ourselves 'The Rats'. We were a relatively small clan, compared to some of the others, but we were tight-knit, and couldn't nothin' stop us..." he pauses for a moment, almost reminiscently, before quickly jolting out of his haze and continuing, "But, as I'm sure you've gathered, I was exiled. Two days ago in fact. Left me with no food, water, nothin' but my sword and the armor on my back. If it weren't for you, I'd probably be vulture food by now, so as thanks I've decided to tell you all this. Now that I've done so, ask nothing more from me, please. He closes his eyes and breathes a deep sigh.

You sit for a moment, contemplating what you should say next. Do you:
>Ask him to join you, saying you could both help each other survive in this place
>Tell him you understand and will leave him and go off on your own in the morning
>Ask him for more details about the Oldlands and their inhabitants
>Write in
>>
>>4976470
We'll its okay if you want to break the deadlock, otherwise you'll have to wait for hours for someone to come along and break the tie. Just add a post that you will be flipping or rolling to break the tie in a few hours if no tie breakers come around.

>Write in
We'll I don't know much about the area round here, if ya want, we could work together for a bit and help each other out. If not then well i'll be off in the morning and wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>4976512
>>Ask him to join you, saying you could both help each other survive in this place
>>
>>4976512
>Ask him to join you, saying you could both help each other survive in this place
>>
>>4976512
"Ya know..." you begin, "We're both used to having a clan to watch our backs, and at this point neither of us have that. We're alone, but maybe we don't have to be. We could help each other out, you with your knowledge of these lands and me with my natural survival skills. We might make a decent team." You pause for a moment to look at him. His expression has not changed since you began talking; eyes still closed.

There is a moment of silence, before the man slowly opens his eyes and looks at you. "Working with outsiders is strictly forbidden for me, ya know." You stutter for a moment, not quite knowing what to say to this. You don't have to say anything, however, because he continues, "But, it seems I've already broken that rule, so who cares? And FUCK those guys, anyway." A look of defiance shrouds his face. You get the sense that he enjoys the thought of breaking the rules.

"Well alright then, it's settled!" you say happily. You get up and stretch, before realizing something; you never asked the man his name. "By the way, what did they call you in your clan?" you ask him.

"They called me Scrap. I was the blacksmith."

"Well Scrap, nice to meet ya."

By now you can see the sun low in the sky and you think it will be dark in about two hours. "We need to get something to eat before dark," you say to Scrap, "we haven't had any food all day. Do you know of any good spots to find food around here?"

"Not really, but there are rat holes all over this area. If we're quick we might be able to catch a few as they're coming out of them for the night."

"All right, well let's get to it."

====

That night you and Scrap have a nice meal of rat meat roasted over the fire. You keep the fire to not much more than embers so as not to attract any unwanted attention, but you're still able to cook the meat just fine. You take turns keeping watch, and when you are able to sleep you do so like a baby. The next morning you wake up to see Scrap already awake and spreading the ashes of the fire. "We need water," he says gruffly. Evidently he isn't much of a morning person.

"Well, do you know anywhere where we can find some?" you ask him.

"There's a watering hole about a mile from here, but it might have some other Wanderer clan already occupying it for the day. Plus we got no containers."

You think on this for a moment. It is true that you have no containers, but you need water today or else you risk dehydration. And then there's the threat of confrontation with other Wanderers. Should you:
>Look for containers before heading to the watering hole
>Head to the watering hole and drink up, then think about containers for the water
>Ask Scrap if there are any other watering holes around
>Write in
>>
>>4977107
>>Look for containers before heading to the watering hole
>>
>>4977107
>>
>>4977107
We left town without any containers? Are they trying to get us killed?
>>
>>4977463
It's part of the ritual. You're only allowed your cloths, your spear, and one personal item (the "sparkmaker" for you).

Writing the next update now.
>>
>>4977107
"Well, I guess we better find some containers, then," you say as you get up, dusting off your pants. "Do you think there could be any lying around here? Maybe some more bodies dumped around here we could check for water skins?"

"Well, we could check some of the other buildings around the area for hidden bodies. A lot of times when they execute somebody the clans don't even strip them of their things, so we could get lucky."

"Why don't they take their items?" you ask.

"Don't need em'. The clans around here live pretty nice, believe it or not.

This puzzles you. How could one live so well in a place like this? Your clan was always struggling to find food and water, and often would lose children to the harshness of the land. Your clan doesn't pillage, rape, and kill anyone else they came across, though, you think to yourself.

"Well, we better get ta' movin'. We want to get water at some point today." You follow Scrap out of the building.

====

You spend a few hours traveling around the area, searching for old buildings or other places one might dump a body. You a body or two, but it isn't until just before the afternoon when you finally get lucky and find one in an old building with an ancient, sun-bleached water skin lying next to it on the ground. You open it and through a stroke of good luck find enough water left in it for each of you to take a small sip, wetting your parched lips. After resting for a few moments you ask Scrap "Do you know how to get to the watering hole from here?"

"Yeah, it's about 2 miles thatta way," he says, pointing off into the distance.

"Alright, well we better get movin' if we wanna get there before nightfall."

"And before anyone else." Scrap says gruffly as he pulls himself up off the ground.

Just as you're preparing to leave you hear something in the distance. You're not quite sure what it is at first, but as it gets closer it's unmistakable; voices. You and Scrap look at each other for a moment before quickly diving behind some rubble in one of the far areas of the building. While you're hunkered down you quietly whisper to Scrap "Do you think they're Exiled? Like you?" Scrap doesn't respond, only slowly moving a finger to his lips, motioning for silence.

A moment goes by and you can tell the voices have almost reached the building. What you're going to do once they finally reach it, you're not sure. Should you:
>Jump out and attack immediately, attempting to take them by surprise
>Wait in silence for them to do their business and leave
>Attempt to peak over and see what they're doing
>Write in
>>
>>4977545
>>Attempt to peak over and see what they're doing
>>
>>4977545
>Attempt to peak over and see what they're doing
>>
>>4977627
>>4977745
Roll 1d20 to see how stealthy you are, best of 2.

I gotta head to bed for the night but I'll write an update in the morning before work if I can.
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>4977875
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>
>>4977545
You hear the voices get closer, and eventually enter into the building. You can now finally make out what they're talking about.

"I'm just sayin' I did it last time" you hear a timid, high-pitched voice say.

"And I said I don't care! You're doin' it again this time and that's that," you hear a deeper, rougher voice say.

You decide that it's too risky to just sit here and not know what's going on, so you slowly begin to move to peek above the rubble. You just barely peek high enough to get a view of the men, and you see two men standing at the wall opposite you, one of them doubled over carrying a very large sack on his back. As you watch, the skinnier, shorter man of the two drops he sack off his back and opens it up, clamping his hand over his mouth as he does so. You can tell why; that awful, sickly smell that you encountered last night slowly wafts over to you. The skinnier man proceeds to drag the body out of the bag and over into some shrubs in the corner, taking care to make sure it's concealed, while the bigger man stands watching, arms folded.

When the skinny man is finished you hear the bigger man say "Now we eat here." pulling an animal skin bag out from his belt and plopping down right next to the body.

"W-wha? Right here? Next to the body?" You hear the skinny one retort, "Can't we just wait until we find some other cover? Or at least sit outside?"

"I'm hungry now! It's hot out there and shady in here, and I can't smell nothin', so you'll be fine!" The man snaps. The skinny one looks defeated. He begins to look around the building, you assume to find a place to sit far away from the body. You duck down so as not to be seen, but after a moment or two you here footsteps coming your way; you know he's walking towards the rubble pile.

You quickly grab your spear from your side and ready it. You look over at Scrap and he looks back at you; you can tell you're both thinking the same thing: what now?
>Wait for the man to reach the rubble pile, then jump out and ambush him
>Stay hidden and hope he doesn't look behind the rubble pile
>Make a break for it
>Write in
>>
>>4978291
>>
>>4978291
>>
>>4978291
>>Wait for the man to reach the rubble pile, then jump out and ambush him
>>
>>4978291
>>
>>4978291
You give scrap a look and jerk your head towards the approaching person. He nods, signaling he understands your plan to attack. You wait until you hear the footsteps near the pile and suddenly stop. You count down from three with your fingers, and on one you and Scrap both jump out from behind the pile and bum rush the man. He's surprised, and before he or his partner has a chance to react you get a strike in on him, thrusting your spear at him.

Roll 1d20 to see where you hit. Best of 2.

1-2 = Head
3-12 = Torso
13-20 = Legs
>>
Rolled 12 (1d20)

>>4978719
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>4978719
>>
>>4978751
>>4978871
By "best" I should have clarified I meant the lowest number because head>torso>legs.

Writing the next update now.
>>
>>4978875
well fug.
>>
>>4978885
No you're all good brother, it was "best of 2", so I'm using the 12. You had a chance for a better roll than 12, but it couldn't be worse lol.

Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>4978719
You thrust your spear into the man, hitting him directly in the stomach. The man looks at you for a moment before you drive the spear deeper into his stomach, which is now bleeding profusely. He drops to the ground and you rip the spear from his body, blood spouting out of the now open wound. You barely have any time to think before you hear Scrap let out a yell and feel a body crash into yours. The next thing you know you're on the ground with Scrap and the bigger man on top of you wrestling for control of Scrap's sword. You push them off of you and get up, sweeping your spear up off the ground with you. You can't quite get a clean shot at the man while him and Scrap are rolling around on the ground, so you bend down and rip the man off of Scrap. You twist his arms behind his back, holding him in place, and yell "Get 'em!" to Scrap. He quickly scurries up off the ground, sword in hand, and stabs the man in the stomach multiple times. His body goes limp, and you let the bloodied body fall to the ground.

You and Scrap stand looking at each other in shock for a moment, adrenaline still rushing through your veins, when you hear a sound from the rubble pile. You look over at it, and see that the skinnier man is still alive. You walk over to the man and bend down next to him. His wounds seem to be mortal. You can see he is holding on for now, but you're not sure how much longer he'll be here. Do you:
>Attempt to talk to him and see if you can get any information from him
>Put him out of his misery as he is suffering greatly
>Write in
>>
>>4978901
Talk and we might spare ya.

I thought we were gonna try and knock him out
>>
>>4978901
>>
>>4978901
>>
>>4979043
Sorry anon, I suppose I should have clarified. This is a harsh world so things often get rough.
>>
>>4978901
You bend down over then man and ask "Can you speak?" The man sputters up a little blood, but is able to faintly squeak out "y-yes." "Alright, well if you give us some information, perhaps we'll spare you, you say to him, knowing good and well he'll probably die in no more than a few moments. The man just lays there, breathing heavily. What do you ask him?
>About his clan and where they reside
>If he knows of any other watering holes or food sources in the area
>About the man who's body they dumped
>Write in
>>
>>4979185
Sorry for the short update this morning, I don't have too much time to write. I'll post another tonight though!
>>
>>4979185
>About the man who's body they dumped
>>
>>4979185
>If he knows of any other watering holes or food sources in the area
The guy they dumped probably got exiled or something
>>
>>4979185
>About his clan and where they reside
>>
>>4979192
>>4979317
>>4979692
I'll leave voting up for a little longer, but if they're aren't any more in like 30 minutes to an hour I'll roll for it so I can get an update out tonight.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d3)

>>4979810
1 = >>4979192
2 = >>4979317
3 = >>4979692
>>
>>4979185
"Listen, that man over there," you motion your head to the body hidden in the bushes, "why'd you kill 'em?"

The man struggles to find his words, breathing heavily. He's able to faintly whisper "H-he s-stole from a Brother..." You look up at Scrap, "A fellow clan member," he clarifies.

You look back down at the man, "Do you and your boys dump bodies around here often?" He slowly nods, W-when we need to." "And why do you dump 'em out here instead of near your villages?" It takes much longer, and a lot more effort, for the man to respond this time, "T-the Old Gods d-don't like the bodies... they don't l-like the smell. The... Old... Gods... bless me..." after these final words his head falls to the side and you see the life fade from his body.

You get up, wiping the man's blood off you're hands with your pants. "What was all the about Old Gods?" you ask Scrap.

"Ahh it's some BS some of the more... eccentric clans believe in. They believe a clan of "Old Gods" inhabit their land and rule over them. They have many strange rituals and customs because of these beliefs. In recent years some of the clans have broken away from these beliefs. Mine was one of them."

"Ah, I see," you say simply, "the warriors of my village told me that many strange beliefs inhabit this place. It seems they were right."

You look back down at the man's body and in doing so you notice that the shadows are getting longer. "We have to hurry and get to the hole if we want to get water today," you say.

"We should search the bodies first," Scrap retorts. It's true, they could have some useful items on them, but that takes time, and you still have to travel to the watering hole before nightfall. Do you:
>Search the bodies first
>Head for the watering hole
>>
>>4979918
Sorry I had to roll anons, but this is a smaller quest, so it might have to happen from time to time. I'm glad it seems at least a few people are enjoying it though.
>>
>>4979936
>Search the bodies first
>>
>>4979936
>Search the bodies first
>>
>>4979936
"Yeah, you're right. They could have something useful on them. Let's do it quickly, though."

You spend about 45 minutes thoroughly searching the bodies, and the area around them, for anything useful. All three bodies have scrap metal armor much like yours and Scrap's, and you are able to upgrade your shield from your current broken one as well as complete your set of scrap metal armor. You also find two more water skins (both with only a sip of water left), the men's lunch (which you both split and eat immediately), and a small back bag with some blank paper and kindling inside it, which the larger man was carrying.

Once you're finished searching you and Scrap head out for the watering hole.

====

The journey to the watering hole is a long and hot one. Your need for water doesn't make it any easier, but it's all worth it once you finally arrive. Through sheer luck there aren't any Wanderers already occupying it, but you can see footprints and other signs that indicate they were here not too long before you. You quickly drop to your knees and lap up the delicious water. It's warm, but that doesn't bother you any, not when you're this thirsty. After you and Scrap have had your share you fill up all three water skins.

By now it's evening. "We should find a place to rest for the night" Scrap says to you, re-capping his water skin. "There aren't too many places around here honestly. There's a clump o' buildings about half a mile thatta ways," he points to the opposite direction you came from, "or we could go back to where we came from since we know it's probably safe, although it's a further walk. Or we could just walk in that direction and hope for the best," he says, pointing off into the horizon.
Do you:
>Go back to the building you came from
>Try to search for the "clump of buildings"
>Continue walking and hope to find somewhere to stop and rest
>>
>>4980203
>>
>>4980203
>>
>>4980203
>>Try to search for the "clump of buildings"
>>
>>4980203
>>Try to search for the "clump of buildings"
>>
>>4980203
>>
>>4980203
>>
>>4980203
"Well, I wanna have enough time to set up a fire before nightfall, so let's head for this small clump of buildings you're talking about," you say.

"Alright, if I remember right they're in that direction. I think it may have used to be a small town or something, I'm not sure honestly." You both pack up your stuff and begin walking in the direction Scrap motioned.

====

Scrap's memory has proven right once again. About a mile and a half into walking you see a group of buildings rising in the distance. "There they are," he says. They look new, compared to the other buildings at least, while still being obviously old. They don't of the Old World. Instead of stone they seem to be almost hut-like, having a wooden frame covered with animal pelts. Many are dilapidated, but a few seem to have survived time enough to serve as shelter for the night.

"This used to be a Wanderer village?" you ask as you reach the buildings.

"Maybe," Scrap responds, "could've been one of the earlier clans I suppose, but these buildings ain't nothin' like we have now. All these big animals have been hunted out of the area," he points to the pelts covering one of the buildings, "so we couldn't even make these kind o' things if we tried."

You take a look around the village first, making sure no one else has taken up shelter here for the night. After you've cleared all of the buildings, you find the most stable one there is and hunker down to build a fire for the night.

====

In the morning you awaken to the growling of your stomach. Once again, Scrap is already up and spreading the ashes of the fire. "Yesterday we needed water, today we need food..." you groan as you roll over to your other side.

"These lands are bare. There is not much food to be found in this area." Scrap replied, frankly.

"Well let's just move to a more plentiful area, then," you grunt at him.

"Well those lands are controlled by the Upper Clans, they are crawling with Wanderers. It would be idiotic to go there." He says blankly, never halting his work spreading the ashes. This comment finally snaps you out of your hazy morning state of mind. You sit up and look at Scrap, "Then what'dya suppose we do?"

"There's nothing we can do, we will either have to spend the rest of our lives scavenging scraps from the dead and eating little bits of rat and cacti, or make the venture into the Upper Clans' territory."

"What kind of food do they have there that's so great anyway?" Scrap pauses his work to look at you, "Crops," is his only answer.
>>
>>4980895

At that moment you hear thunder overhead. You and Scrap walk outside and see pitch black clouds forming in the sky above you. "Looks like it's about to storm, and it seems ta' be a mean one." You hear you're stomach rumble again. "Damn!" you yell, "we need food."

"Well, we could head out and try to get aways outta here before the rain hits" says Scrap, "Then again, it does look mean." You look up at the sky contemplating your options, the evil looking clouds overhead flashing with lightning.
Do you:
>Head out, trying to get as far as you can before the rain starts
>Stay here and check around the immediate are for any small amount of food, planning to wait out the storm
>Write in
>>
>>4980895
Shoot, messed up some of the dialog coloring in this post like a retard. Oh-well.
>>
>>4980896
>Stay here and check around the immediate are for any small amount of food, planning to wait out the storm

Drink some water and use the rain to replenish our containers, we'll be well hydrated before we set out and we can go 2 weeks without food.
>>
>>4980896
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (39 KB, 500x280)
39 KB
39 KB .jpg
Sorry guys, no update this morning. I should be able to get one out after work tonight, though!
>>
>>4981013
>>4981107
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, roll 1d6 to see if you find any food in the area. Best of 2.

1-3 = you find no food
4-6 = you find some
>>
Rolled 2 (1d6)

>>4981356
>>
Rolled 4 (1d6)

>>4981356
>>
>>4980896
You decide to use the short amount of time before the rain hits you to gather what small amount of food is in the general area. You are able to catch one rat and find a few tiny pieces of cacti before the heavens open up. As soon as you feel the first drops of rain you both rush back inside and dump the spoils of your foraging onto the ground. You split it evenly and start lighting a fire to cook the rat over. It's going to be a long day.

====

By noon the rain still hasn't stopped. You and scrap have tried sleeping, but neither of you were able to due to the many leaks in the old roof which tuned most of the dirt floor to mud. Feeling frustrated after sitting in this muddy hut for hours with nothing to do, you groan "Will this rain ever end?"

"Could be awhile" Scrap replies drily.

You sit up from your laying position. "Do you think we should maybe just start moving now? I mean who knows how long this storm'll last? Plus I'm losing my mind in here."

"We could, but it'd be tricky. I'm not sure how well I could navigate, and we'd get our only pair of cloths soaked." At that moment you hear a shout outside. You both start up and look at each other, unsure of what to do. It's silent for a moment, and then you hear another shout followed by the shouts of multiple other men. It sounds as if they aren't inside the village, but they're certainly not farm from it.

"What's that?" you ask shakily.

"Dunno," Scrap replies.The voices sound like they're getting closer. You can't make out quite what they're saying yet, but you can certainly tell whoever is shouting isn't happy. Your mind races about what you're next move should be. Do you:
>Wait inside the house with your weapons at the ready in case anybody finds you
>Attempt to peak outside and take a look at what's going on
>Write in
>>
>>4981943
>>Wait inside the house with your weapons at the ready in case anybody finds you

We ain't got much worth taking, maybe we can peacefully share our shelter
>>
>>4981943
>>
>>4981943
>>
>>4981943

These guys could be friends of the people we killed.
>>
>>4981943
>>
>>4981943
>>
Hey guys, OP here. Sorry for the lack of updates today, I've had another busy weekend. I'll try my best to get an update out tonight, but if not tonight there will definitely be one tomorrow. Thanks for playing, and have a great day!
>>
>>4981943
"Get ready," you say to Scrap, grabbing your spear from off the ground and standing at ready position. You hear the yelling approaching you, and you can now make out some of what is being said. "Don't let those rats get away!" says a voice that sticks out clearly above the rest. It is a deep, rough voice, and you automatically assume that it belongs to the leader of whoever is coming his way. The voices have now reached the village and you can hear footsteps racing past you. You hear frantic yelling and what sounds like the clink of metal on metal. You can tell people are fighting in the streets outside. You hear people rushing around, tearing through the village.

"What the hell is going on?" you whisper.

"Sounds like it might be a fight between clans or somethin'," Scrap whispers back, gripping his sword a little bit tighter. "These things can get ugly."

Just at that moment, someone stumbles through the animal skin door and into the hut. On his way in he falls on his knees. He quickly looks up at both of you with a shocked look on his face. His cloths are muddy and torn. You can tell he's been running. There is a moment of silence from both parties before the man scrambles to try and get up. Do you:
>Attack immediately
>Signal him to be quite and stay hidden
>Attempt to grapple and subdue him
>Write in
>>
>>4983220
If he's not smart enough to shut up he's dead either way.
>>
>>4983286
+1
>>
>>4983220
>>
>>4983220
>>
>>4983220
You motion for the man to stay quiet as he gets up. He scoops his sword off of the ground and points it at you, then at Scrap, then back to you. You can tell he is frightened. You put your finger to your lips, and then motion him to come towards you. He hesitates. You motion again, this time whispering "We won't hurt you if you don't hurt us." He looks at you with hesitation, but slowly begins to walk towards you, his sword still at the ready.

The yelling and fighting outside continues and with all of the shouting, as well as the sounds of the storm, to mask your voice you are able to whisper to the man "What's going on?"

"T-they chased us f-for miles," he stutters. "W-we didn't know we were in their territory. They've k-killed lots of us already."

"Alright alright, well stay down and stay quiet. You're safe for now," you whisper, motioning for him to join you two in your ready positions.

The fighting continues for some time, over an hour you guess. Apparently no one had noticed the man slip into the hut, which you count your blessings for. After some while the fighting seems to die down, and you begin to hear people shouting things like "Leave no survivors!" and "Check in every last corner for those rats!" You and Scrap look at each other in dismay. Sooner or later they'll end up checking your hut, and then you'll be in real trouble.

You are starting to panic. "What'da we do now?" you hiss.

"Hell if I know," Scrap snaps back. The man just sits in place, a look of fear permanently frozen on his face.

The hut you are occupying is on the outskirts of town. The voices of the men seem to be centered in the main area of town, although occasionally you hear somebody run past you or voices shouting nearby. The rain and thunder could possibly provide decent cover for you, especially since it's getting dark outside, plus the men are distracted at present; but if you are caught it's over. Then again, if you stay in this hut you're caught. These thoughts, and more, are racing through your head as the shouting outside continues.
Do you:
>Attempt to peak outside and get a better idea of what's going on to help you form a plan
>Attempt to sneak out of the hut and get away from the village using the storm as cover
>Write in
>>
>>4984644
>Attempt to sneak out of the hut and get away from the village using the storm as cover
>>
>>4984644
>Attempt to peak outside and get a better idea of what's going on to help you form a plan
>>
>>4984644
"We gotta get out of here," you whisper to the other two. "We'll use the storm as cover and try to sneak away."

"Are you insane?" the man hisses at you.

"Fine, you can stay here and get caught then," This shut the man up and he nods at you signaling he will follow your lead.

You got down on your hands and knees and peaked out of the animal skin flap. You see no one in the immediate area, so you began to slowly crawl out of the hut followed by your two companions. You begin to crawl through the mud and away from the village. The rain beats down on you and soaks your cloths in an instant. This, along with the dark clouds overhead, provide decent cover but every once in a while a flash of lightning streaks through the sky and give away your position. Whenever this happens all three of you hit the ground and hope no one notices you. There are people constantly running around, searching the huts, and generally behaving like crazed animals, but since you are on the outskirts of the village most everyone is away from you.

Just as you are about to reach the last hut before being completely out of the village you hear a noise from inside of it. All three of you get low and hide behind some brush not too far from the hut. It sounds as if there is a struggle between two people inside of the hut. Considering you are a ways away from the others now you figure one of the attacking clan's members found someone hiding in this hut and engaged with them. You all three stay hidden, not wanting to risk being caught by whoever is inside on their way out. The struggling sounds continue. You are afraid if you stay still for too long someone else might come along and find you, but you also don't want to risk crawling out in the open so close to someone. Do you:
>Rush into the hut to help whoever is in there
>Attempt to quickly crawl past and escape before they're finished
>Wait it out and make a dash for it once they leave
>Write in
>>
>>4984882
>>4984959
My apologies anons, I misread and thought you both voted for ">Attempt to sneak out of the hut and get away from the village using the storm as cover". That is my fault and I will take a much closer look at your posts next time >_<
>>
>>4985806
If the wrong person emergences victorious from the hut, we'll be made.
>>
>>4985806
>>Rush into the hut to help whoever is in there
>>
>>4985806
>>
>>4985806
"We've gotta help whoever's in there!" you whisper to the other two. They both look at you in surprise, but don't protest. "On the count of three we all rush in, weapons at the ready." You count down from three on your fingers, and on three you all pick up your weapons and silently start for the door. You are the first to reach it, flinging the animal skin flap to the side. Inside there are two men struggling with each other for control of a knife. One is a smaller man with animal skin cloths on while the other is a much larger bald man with scrap metal armor. How the smaller man is holding his own against this brute you have no idea.

Your new comrade, obviously recognizing the smaller man, gives a cry and rushes for the larger man. The brute breaks his struggle with his adversary, knocking him to the ground, and in one swoop of his arm slams your comrade to the floor. He does not get up. The man then looks at you giving his knuckles a crack, obviously taunting you.
Do you:
>Attack first
>Let him make the first move
>>
>>4987437
>>Let him make the first move
4 vs. 1. If he moves on us, one of our allies can close in from behind. Circle around him. He may be taunting us, but the tables can easily turn here.
>>
>>4987437
>>
>>4987437
>>
>>4987437
You stay in place, not budging. "You're surrounded. You better stand down," you growl at the man. He looks around him, the smaller man getting up from off the ground. You're comrade stays still, laying sprawled out and groaning. He shifts the knife in his hand, tensing his muscles. He knows his position, but it seems like he wants to go out on his own terms. All of a sudden he lets out a yell and charges you, knife slashing wildly in the air like a madman.

(Roll a d20 to see if you dodge. Best of 2)

1-10 = Fail
11-19 = Success
20 = Critical success
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>4988689
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>4988689
cross your fingers
>>
>>4988739
1 cool success
2 please ignore the name it's of a different quest & I forgot to take it off
>>
>>4988689
You sidestep the man as he bum rushes you, tripping him with your foot as you do so. He loses his balance and lands face first in the mud. You and Scrap instantly jump on him and the two of you together are able to subdue him. You shove your hand over his mouth to keep him from screaming any more and use your other arm to choke him until he passes out. Once his body goes limp you wait a few seconds just to be sure, and then loosen your grip from around his neck. You and Scrap look at each other, both of you out of breath. You remember your comrade laying on the ground just feet away and walk over to check on him. He's still breathing, but he's out cold. You slap him a few times but he doesn't stir from his trauma induced slumber.

"Great, just what we needed" you groan. "What'da we do now?"

You could take him with you, but he would be awful hard to carry, especially through this storm. But we can't just leave him here to die, you think to yourself. The short man walks over to where he's laying and bends over him, tears beginning to form in his eyes. "He saved my life..." he starts, "we can't just leave him..." At that very moment you hear a burst of yelling from outside. You all freeze and listen in horror as the voices seem to be getting closer to you. Do you:
>Swing the unconscious man over your shoulders and make a dash for it
>Leave him behind and bolt
>Wait and see what's going on
>Write in
>>
>>4988845
>>Swing the unconscious man over your shoulders and make a dash for it
>>
>>4988845
>Swing the unconscious man over your shoulders and make a dash for it
>>
>>4988845
"We won't leave him here," you say defiantly, bending down to pick up the man. You swing him over your shoulders with a grunt. He is heavy, but you're able to carry him with some effort. Your training with the warriors of the village paid off, it seems. You look at the other two men in the room, both standing, waiting for your move. "Let's go!" you say, rushing towards the animal skin flap. You thrust it open and outside you see a crowd of people, at least five of them, all chasing after a lone man in animal skin cloths. He is out-pacing them, but you're not sure for how long. They are approaching you fast, so you motion for your comrades to follow and make a dash out of the village. You hear one of the men behind you yell "Hey look, there go a couple more!" You look back and see two of the men break off to chase you instead. You don't stop running, and neither do your two friends.

====

You don't know how long you've been running, but you must be at least a few miles away from the village by now. The rain makes it incredibly difficult to tell where you're going, but it doesn't much matter to you. You just need to get away. The two men chasing you have fallen back to the point where you can no longer see them behind you, but there is no guarantee they aren't still following from a distance. You are becoming exhausted, and you can tell your friends are as well. You halt your jog, carefully laying your load onto the ground. The weight off your shoulders feels incredible. The other two reach you, huffing. "I-I think they're gone" the small man says.

"There's no being sure," you respond, "they could be tracking us."

"In this weather?" he says, looking up at the sky above disgustedly.

"You're probably right, but we can't take any chances. These men seem to be savages."

"Oh they are..." he responds in a distant manner, still looking up at the sky.

"Well, what should we do? It's practically night by now, and we need to get out o' this weather." Scrap says gruffly.

It's true, you've been running for some time now, and you're all three exhausted, soaked to the bone, and hungry. The only problem is you have no idea where you are and you can't see but three feet in front of you. You could try to find some shrubs or a tree or something to rest under, but there's no way you'd be able to sleep. But if you continue on there's no guarantee you'll find a place to rest. And then there's your potential pursuers...

"Well, where the hell are we supposed to go for shelter?" you shout above the sound of the rain, "We have no idea where we are and we can't see a damn thing."

There was a silence among the three of you; no one knows what to do.
Do you:
>Try to find some natural shelter for the night (shrubs, tree, etc.)
>keep pushing on through the night and hope you get lucky and find an abandoned building
>>
>>4990288
>Write in

(The post was just barely too long, lol)
>>
>>4990288
>>keep pushing on through the night and hope you get lucky and find an abandoned building
>>
>>4990288
>keep pushing on through the night and hope you get lucky and find an abandoned building

I appreciate the spacing and breaks nonetheless, makes reading easier.
>>
>>4990288
>Try to find some natural shelter for the night (shrubs, tree, etc.)
>>
Hey guys, OP here (I got a new router so my id is probably changed) I'm really sorry for he lack of updates, a bunch of family stuff came up at once and I just couldn't get to it. There won't be an update tonight, but I should be able to get one out tomorrow at some point. Again, I'm sorry, and I hope you all understand!
>>
>>4992682
Well apparently my id stayed the same which is nice, lol.
>>
I think in this case it depends on your ISP.
>>
>>4990288
"We've gotta keep pushin'," you say to the others, bending down to pick up your cargo, "and just hope we find somethin' to rest in for the night. Let's move." You all three start out together at a walking pace, exhausted and thinking only of rest....

====

It's been two hours and you haven't seen a building since you began walking again. You have been taking stops frequently, all needing to take a break to rest your tired legs, and tired minds. The only saving grace is that the rain has stopped and the moon is full overhead providing a silver shine for you to see your way by. Your cloths are all still soaked, though, and the frigid night air is harsh against your wet body. Suddenly, as you're all walking up a steep hill, the small man drops to the ground. You rush over to him and ask if he's all right. "I-I can't go any further..." he says, barely lifting his face to look at you. "Just leave me here..."

You look up at Scrap, "Can you carry him?"

"I... can... barely... carry... myself", Scrap responds, taking deep, heavy breath in-between each word, hands on his knees, doubled over.

Now that you've stopped you realize just how exhausted you are yourself. You know if you put the man down you won't be able to pick him back up. You check his wrist for a pulse. He's still alive, but he also still hasn't awoken. Out here we're sitting ducks, you think to yourself, but I'm not sure how much further we can make it...
Do you:
>Leave the man and continue on with Scrap
>Decide to just rest here in the open for the night, hoping nothing bothers you
>Write in
>>
>>4994306
>Write in
Find a dip in the ground and cover us up with dirt and whatever shrubbery.
>>
>>4994306
Supporting >>4994564
>>
Hey anons, OP here. Unfortunately life has just gotten too crazy for me to run this quest at the moment. I've really enjoyed it, but I haven't been able to spend the time I want on it and I don't want to compromise the quality of writing because I'm rushing or whatever. I hope it was fun, and if you guys seem like you want me to I can archive this thread and try and pick it up again sometime in the future when life isn't so hectic for me, as I really do enjoy writing and I really want to see where this story goes. You guys have been amazing players and I want to thank you for playing my quest. It really tickles me to see people engaging with my little world :)

I hope you all have a good rest of your day/night, and thanks for playing!
>>
Ah, I knew it, deep down I could feel my questing senses tingling.

I almost posted about frogs falling and everyone kekking.

Thanks for telling us, and Good Luck with your stuff.
>>
>>4996797
Thank you for the quest, take your time but please don't give it up. It's been fun.
Take care brother and i hope everything turns out well.