[3 / an / cgl / diy / gd / i / n / out / p / po / qst / s4s / t / trv / vip / vm / vmg / w / wg / wsr / ] [Settings]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Mitsuba Archive

File: 200621_160594.jpg (22 KB, 500x326)
22 KB
22 KB .jpg
you are a worker. a normal, magicless human.

because of this, and the ruling magocracy, only mages are considered important enough to have things like rights or fair pay. you essentially live in serfdom, while the rest of the world is exploring fun stuff like factories and equal voting.

one day though, you wake up to a city in chaos. mysterious shipments of arms and armor somehow arrived enough to cause an immediate peasant overthrow of the ruling mages.

you start off in a warehouse.
>>
>>4975975
take some shit from the boxes find some colleagues and start killing
>>
>>4975975
Look around the warehouse.
>>
>>4975994
+1
>>
>>4975994 >>4976015
That was some pretty obvious samefagging
>>
>>4976015
Imagine samefaging a low effort thread that won't even last a day
>>
>>4975994

[luck roll: 10]

the crates contain a load of spellbooks that were being moved. some of them seem ancient and liable to fall apart, written in languages you dont know
>>
>>4975975
Go to the locker room where we keep our few personal effects like the risqué rendition of the mage-princess Rihana and the hip flask of fungus liquor. If there is a revolution we don’t want to go through it without the two good things we can look forward to after a shift. Plus both could be conceivably traded in a pinch.
>>
>>4976196

you grab your things and get ready to face the new way this town works

>fungus liquor flask (full)
>pinup of mage-princess Rihana
>untranslated mage tomes (20 units)
>>
>>4976223
Take the tomes and find someone sympathetic to us to teach us how to read them.

Uplifting to magehood!
>>
>>4976383

you find out a local tavern is somehow both still open and already neutral ground despite the chaos. asking about magehelp gets you a few possible helpers to pick from

[social roll: 18]

contact A is explained to be literally a giant talking raven who somehow has access to gold. a LOT of gold.

contact B is some mages from the old magocracy who had enough sanity to start splintering off and help the common folk. they might just be doing so to avoid dying via angry mob, but hey

contact C is from one of the darker schools of magic, chaos magic, but is very good at their job and totally open for hire to any client (within reason), or so the bartender says at least.

contact D is someone mostly related to the local smuggling rackets and the black market. rumor is he's secretly an inquisition asset.

contact E is said to be some kind of elf scholar with more books and freetime then stakes in preserving the old government.

who among these contacts is best and to be trusted?
>>
>>4976651
Contact B seems to be both working towards a positive future AND dependent on being in our good graces if we succeed.
>>
>>4976651
>contact C
IF chaos magic is also of questionable legality

Otherwise...
>Contact B
>>
>>4976859

contact B is explained as being the mages guild then.

apparently even forced by the mob to drop much of their power, many of the old mages still just wanted to be pure academics again. you find the front hall mildy trashed and furniture broken. one of the mages, an old white-haired ancient man with diplomacy in his eyes sits out front nursing a pint

"*tomes you say? we thought some our tomes got lost in the mail. we would happily teach you a school of magic free for their safe return.*" he says when you ask about the books.
>>
>>4977572
Ask: "Forgive me, I am but a humble worker: could you describe the various schools of magic?"
>>
>>4979242

he rubs his chin in thought, saying "*by laymans terms, the largest schools are chaos, shapeshifting, poisons, fire, earth, ice, electricity, death and necromancy, wind, water, fate, holy, light, void, healing and creation, flight, time, and lastly those used to subtly make a warrior greater,*"

he looks at the sky outside and says. "*right now summer and warmth are in their season but, seasons change.*"
>>
>>4979717
"Hmm, chaos sounds interesting. What exactly is it? What can an experienced chaos magician do?"
>>
>>4979717
Let's go with the one to make warriora greater. Seems the most proletariat.
>>
>>4979717
"hmmm when it comes to productivity both time and creation soun the best if cration allows us to conjure raw materials"
>>
>>4980288
>>4980330
>>4980349

he considers how to explain each.

"*chaos often leads back to the trickster god, and clashes with that crone named entropy. they study all that could be or could have been, do things that are impossible and often unclear in outcome.*" he says for chaos.

"*aiding allies and tripping up foes-*" and here he waves at the chaos outside, "*-would be ideal right now. a sane mans idea.*"

for the last one he thinks and says, "*raw materials? yes, possible. that and other spells besides.*"

chaos events, combat spells to sway the uprising, or creating materials and objects? which of the three is a bigger priority?
>>
ok anons, let's brainstorm, as OP just said that creation magic lets us conjure raw materials so i thought if we combine that with time magic we get an extremely fast gun production line with wich we just drown our enemies in lead
>>
>>4980381
I think creation magic seems the most useful at the moment, or at least the more versatile. I don't know about that production line, but for now just creating stuff seems nice.
>>
>>4980384
the whole idea for me is to just put out so much ammo that it's not funny anymore, even the best mages can only stop so many projectiles before they tire and if we can just say "fuck" you to having to extract and transport raw materials we don't have to bother with the possibility of our extraction points being taken away from us
>>
>>4980381

the old man nods in thought.

"*the wisdom of new learners as always is wise. this idea is good and useful. we will need to have those tomes inhand to begin your training, and the dwarves may still hold the secret of firearms from us as they always have. a town run by wyrdwise driders was never bound to have dwarves in their good graces, but now with the spiderkins removal that might change.*"
>>
>>4980977
"Very well. When can training begin?"
>>
>>4981261

>fungus liquor flask (full)
>pinup of mage-princess Rihana
>mage training slot: creation/healing
>mages guild membership

"*we can start tomorrow, we sadly have plenty of free time compared to the old days. we have experts to wake up and prepare for these tomes, and others to line up to train you and other new mages. these books may help raise up a good part of a new generation of casters.*" the old mage explains. thus for trading in the books you secure a place among the mages.

[luck roll: 3] [perception roll: 4]

during the night before you can begin training though, back at the warehouse, something breaks your window overnight. thank goodness you sent off the tomes before this i guess.
>>
>>4981499
Look for some heavy tool I can swing around (should be quite easy in a warehouse) and, quietly, go check out that noise.
>>
>>4981619

[perception: 8] [stealth roll: 18]

creeping up, you hear the culprits already running away, apparently having taken nothing. they appear to have at least tried to search around in the area where the tomes were stored. it looks like they simply smashed the glass in and nothing magical was used.
>>
>>4982099
I don't think it would be wise to follow them in the middle of the night. Let's focus on keeping safe: whatever tool I picked up, I'd like to keep it close. Also, am I alone in the warehouse?
>>
>>4982473

[stealth: 4] [[toughness roll: 16]

checking the area out doesn't happen quietly, but thankfully you scare off anyone or anything that could be lurking afterwards. the break-in looks like a normal robbery attempt.

morning arrives finally with no more disturbance.
>>
>>4982620
Nice! If no-ones objects, I'd like to go to the mages and get started on the training already: these are dark times, the sooner we are prepared, the better.
>>
>>4982668

[intellect roll: 20] [magic roll: 5]

returning to the mages guild, you're able to grasp the book learning part of the lesson, but not quite manage a spell yet. lunchtime rolls around and the instructor, apparently a leprechaun, wanders off to the pub.
>>
>>4983934
Wait, could you go into a bit more detail about the lesson? What went on, what was it about, how was the classroom...
Don't worry about being too wordy, it's just that I believe our first magic lesson is quite important (also, it could help us understand the magic system better).
>>
>>4984064

the lesson itself seemed to be mostly the instructor teaching about summoning gold as a basic start. somehow the leprachaun was able to summon gold from thin air, but it doesnt seem like you have that ability just yet. small objects would be a pretty easy start as is.

it seems to amount to focusing really hard on what you want and doing magic things to make it go.
>>
>>4984900
Ah I see, thank you!
Were there any other students? If not / they are currently unavailable, I'd like to head to the pub just like our teacher.ak8dx
>>
>>4985008
>ak8dx
Here's why the captcha wasn't working, haha.
>>
>>4984900
Look for a cute mage girl
>>
>>4985008
>>4985553

strangely, there's very few students practicing in the lessons. most of them seem busy translating all the tomes you provided. in fact the tomes seem like they're being gone through immediately, all hands on deck by anyone with right amount of skill. a number of eccentric and high level mages seem to be ducking in and out with regularity.

at the pub, the mage instructor soon gets into a drunken barfight, then midway through teleports away leaving behind a number of coins in his place. all the mages are generally being viewed with a suspicion that wasnt openly there before.

[social roll: 17] [luck roll: 10]

you manage to meet a cute mage girl at the bar after this. she appears to be very short, mostly human with a drop or two of elf blood, and a young watermage.
>>
>>4985553
Floor's yours pal
>>
>>4986261
"Hi. I'm trying to learn some magic. I turned over some of your tomes and such and they said I'm good to start learning. What can you teach me?"