[3 / an / cgl / diy / gd / i / n / out / p / po / qst / s4s / t / trv / vip / vm / vmg / w / wg / wsr / ] [Settings]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Mitsuba Archive

File: Professor Gorilla.jpg (287 KB, 1136x1600)
287 KB
287 KB .jpg
{Previous Thread: https://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/2022/5180270/ }
{Art: Jiro Kuwata}

BATMAN:
Shit?

You stare in shock as Karmak begins looking over dried feces in the cell.

KARMAK:
The only thing that matters is the mission. When the Doctors leave I only have so much time before their intelligence leaves me.

You see the dung is shaped into French writing.

KARMAK:
*hh* This lab is illegal under Directive 2010/63/EU. Exposing them will lead to an EU crackdown.
BATMAN:
I’ll-
BOTH:
Hack the files.
BATMAN:
This is getting unnerving.
KARMAK:
When your mind is shaped and reshaped on a daily basis, then you can talk to me about unnerving.

You start downloading the files from the console. Out the corner of your eye, you see Karmak looking at their gorilla comrades with a sad sense of love.

KARMAK:
Putain de merde!

The door opens and a lanky man drops a tray of vials in shock.

KARMAK:
Stop him!

You fire a Batarang at his shoulder, but he catches it! The lithe man jumps to the ceiling them launches himself right at you.

BATMAN:
Oomph!!

Karmak does a running high jump kick and knocks the Professor off your chest. It’s weird seeing a Gorilla do martial arts, but you’re thankful.

KARMAK:
Hewitt has embellished his abilities himself with our DNA!
BATMAN:
I have some experience. Bat-Taser, launch!

You fire a Batarang powered by an electric cable, but the agile Hewitt dodges it. You hope Karmak got the idea.

KARMAK:
DIE!!!

While the Batarang was still in the air, Karmak backflipped to catch it, jabbing it into the professor’s shoulder.

KARMAK:
ZZZZZZZZZZZ
BATMAN:
Taser, termina-
KARMAK:
Leaaaaveee ittttt onnnnn...

You stare into eyes of iron will, and honor the request until the smaller Hewitt passes out.

KARMAK:
Gah! Huhhh, hurrr-hurrrr
BATMAN:
Are you okay?
KARMAK:
The mission is all that matters. *cough* Good soldier.

Is this really how you sound? Are you just passing down Waller and Ducard’s obsessions to Dick?

KARMAK:
I used to have a son. I got to see him carved up and used for parts so that this one could feel powerful. When you work for the mission, never forget who the mission is for.
BATMAN:
You’re pretty wise for a Gorilla.

Karmak forces an awkward smile.

KARMAK:
And you’re pretty wise for a species that can't stop killing itself.

You help him up.

KARMAK:
There is no outside connection here, you will have to leave to upload those files.

Karmak ushers you into a hallway before stepping behind you.

KARMAK:
Serrure d'urgence : Code Béret

A plexiglass door slides between you and Karmak, you bang on it in rage.

BATMAN:
What is this?!
KARMAK:
I’m sorry Bruce. But I know you won't have the will to do what I must.
>>
{Art:Jiro Kuwata}

You see him go towards the tubes holding the Gorilla’s being altered, he presses the buttons far more quickly than he did earlier.

KARMAK:
Hewitt’s mind confirmed it. No media or international organization will keep these monsters from doing what they want. The power is too great, there is only one option.

Gas begins to hiss into the tubes.

BATMAN:
No! You wanted to save them!
KARMAK:
This IS saving them! There is no freedom for our kind under the human yoke. I am sparing them darker horrors still.

Run through the options, Bruce. You can probably break through.

KARMAK:
I know you will try to stop me. Thus, I present a dilemma.

Karmak picks up Hewitt’s unconscious body.

KARMAK:
I will very much enjoy ripping this putain limb from limb. So now Caped Crusader, choose! Who you will try to save, Man, or Beast?
RAHHHHH!

>Human Nature
Try to save Professor Hewitt.

>Spirit of the Beast
Try to save the altered Gorillas.
>>
>>5232635
>Spirit of the Beast
>>
>>5232635
>Spirit of the Beast

They're the victims in this
>>
>>5232635
Decisions, decisions.
>They can be saved. Once they are out of this location, I can ensure they are relocated. Safely!

If we can maintain the intelligence of Karmak to keep his gorillas in line, we can certainly get them out of france.

Wither to the wild or using our wealth. But we are a guardian of the innocent, not a punisher of the guilty. So if he refuses this very obvious but difficult option Save the Gorrilas.
His entire line of thoguht is based on the idea that the gorrilas wont and cant be happy within humanity, but we can get them out of it, or establish a reserve for them. And he can read our minds to tell it isnt us bullshitting

Reporting from the old thread
>>
>>5232635
>Spirit of the Beast
Protect the innocent
>>
>>5233154
This is a good plan. Adding this to my vote at >>5233116

>>5232635
>>
>>5233154

I also support this.
>>
>>5233154
yes, add this to >>5233308
>>
>>5233154
+1
>>
Rolled 2 (1d6)

>>5233154
Locking for this choice.

Making a Trust Check for 9

Batman Trust:7

The d6 roll must be higher than the check number to get a success. The specific number will determine the degree of success or failure.
>>
>>5233668
Result:9

Close failure

Update coming tonight.
>>
>>5233668
Fuck me, we always get exactly on the DC dont we?
>>
File: crash.png (381 KB, 369x704)
381 KB
381 KB .png
{Art: Jiro Kuwata}

BATMAN:
Karmak, you don’t have to do this! You know I have resources, we can relocate them, safely.

Karmak locks eyes with you for a moment, you have him., For a moment he sees what you see, and the life his kind could have. And then you s e that if he could cry, he would be right now.

KARMAK:
I am sorry, Detective. What has been done to us, what we are, for us, there is no life worth living. I can see that you are a good man. A man of justice. Honorable, but NAIVE!

Karmak slowly pulls Hewitt’s arm until it begins to pop.

HEWITT:
AHHHHH!
KARMAK:
Good, I was hoping you’d be awake for this.
BATMAN:
This isn’t you! It’s Hewitt in your head! Don’t be like him!
KARMAK:
Silly Bat, I already- no!

You break through the glass, but Karmak expected that bit. His powers work in real-time. Butt if you lean into your indecision and don’t choose whether to save Hewitt or the apes until the very last-

BANG! BANG!

Two bullets fire on the cables feeding the tubes, opening their doors.

KARMAK:
No!!!!!

SHRLUUUURK!!

Karmak tears Hewitt in half and charges at the tubes covered in entrails. Before he can reach them, a second ape walks out.

MALLAH:
Ce qui se passe? Karmak?!

KARMAK:
TRAITRE!

The two gorillas struggle in a way never before seen. Animal power, human brilliance. As their conflagration ripples through the lab, more tubes open and more gorillas escape.
You don’t want to leave Karmak to his fate, but you know this will be for nothing if you don’t protect the other enhances from being caught again.
In the chaos of the escape, you sink into the shadows. You snuck your way into this base, but you'll fight your way out.
>>
>>5234201
Karnak too based to live. What a shame. I wonder how bad things have got in Gotham while Batman has been out for this long. The Man-Bat plot thread still hangs in the air, waiting for a bat to swoop on it... if only that bat wasn't jumping from helping a radioactive doctor to investigating some shadow organization in France in the meantime!
>>
>>5234531
Manbat got jumped by tyger and Robin.

So that's. . . solved. Mostly just looking for his creator there.
>>
>>5234608
Which is most probably related to these mad scientists experimenting on animals on Santa Prisca and here in Paris. We're still on the case!
>>
File: 0equvc56i3w31.png (545 KB, 640x960)
545 KB
545 KB .png
{Costume Design and Portrayal: u/joeyredhood22}

Rouge fires with the coldness and flexibility of rubber. Even with your suit, you’re barely dodging her rounds.

ROUGE:
You are slow, American. You cannot run forever.
ZOLA:
Arrête de tirer partout, espèce de raté!
RED X:
The pottymouth is right.

You flip onto a stack of crates.

RED X:
Unless you want to blow us sky-high.
ZOLA:
Non!
ROUGE:
Very well, you have my attention.

> An Unholy Pact
“Tell me where you got the weapons from, and I’ll leave you alone.”
> By Force of Arms
“Tell me where you got the weapons from, or I’ll blow us all to hell.”
> Hush Money
“I’ll pay you to tell me where you go the weapons from”
>There’s always a choice.
Write-in
>>
>>5235017
>By force of Arms.

I can't see a better option.
Just let us keep Zola. Say she can get out of here for ad long ad it takes for us to be done witb the Frenchie.
>>
>>5235017
> An Unholy Pact
>>
>>5235017
> By Force of Arms
>>
>>5235017
>Hush Money
>>
>>5235032
+1
>>
>>5235017
Locking for by Force of Arms, Update Tonight
>>
File: red x.jpg (385 KB, 529x834)
385 KB
385 KB .jpg
{Art: Jamal Campbell}

RED X:
Tell me where you got these weapons from...

You pull out an X grenade.

RED X:
Or I blow them and all of us to Kingdom Come.
ZOLA:
Stop, you idiot!
RED X:
Clock’s ticking.
ROUGE:
They will kill us if we talk. You have no leverage.
RED X:
Ask your buddy, they’re already coming for you. I assume since they aren't here you haven't told them about your stash.

Rouge turns to Zola who nods through gritted teeth.

ROUGE:
Very well. Little Laura was far too scared to do real digging, but a Madam always knows her clients. Look to your right, Crate #52
RED X:
Scanners- Xoom in.

It says a lot about you that you hoped they could tell in French that you spelled zoom with an X, but your thoughts about branding are cut short by what the box says.

RED X:
Ramstein Air Base?!
ROUGE:
A delicious irony, little American. All this time was spent fighting us when your enemy was right under your face.

Ramstein is the headquarters of the United States in Europe. Your eyes dart across the crates, while some are from European labs the vast majority are US Military
RED X:
I’d like to say this was fun, but I think Uncle Sam’s done enough lying for the both of us.

You pick up the smallest container you can find and backflip to the exit
ZOLA
That’s ours!
RED X
No honor among thieves. I suggest leaving before the jarheads find you and turn this place to an Afghan wedding.

You rocket boost onto the rooftops, spraying the parking lot with enough X grenades to attract police attention.

As Madam Rouge stares you down from the ground, you give her the two-finger salute.

ROUGE
That’s for English, you Spanish cow!!!!
>>
File: French Flower.jpg (89 KB, 456x624)
89 KB
89 KB .jpg
{Pencils and Inks: Mikel Janín and Travel Foreman. Colors: Jordie Bellaire and Alex Sinclair}

GIGANTA:
Killllll!!!!

You exit the ape lab into a hallway of pure carnage. Gammanauts and super-apes wage war. Bullets against raw power.

Wham! Bam! Sock!

Two Gammanauts fall down under your brutal pummeling. You’d normally be more stealthy, but given the chaos around you, you have more than enough cover.

BATMAN:
Bat-ears Activate!

The bug you placed in the vent picks up and translates from the other room.

ERNST:
The apes have escaped! I need to find Mallah! Avril? Avril, why are you smiling?
AVRIL:
The enhancements, give them to me now.
ERNST:
There’s no time for anesthesia, the lab will be overrun in-ELP!
AVRIL:
You are the brain. I am the muscle. Give me my superpowers so I can beat up monkeys.
ERNST:
This. This will hurt.

You fling yourself through the storm of fur and metal. The apes around you instinctively know you aren’t an enemy, but you stay out of their way just the same.
The lab doors burst open and you see Avril, strapped to a table and screaming at the top of her lungs. Nearby, Dr. Ernst operates a machine.

ERNST:
Who are you?!

RATATATATATATATA

Your firearms turn the computer into swiss cheese. Hopefully stopping the experiment.

AVRIL
Oh, no, no, no. Do NOT interrupt an artist at work.

Avril breaks free from the straps with her bare hands and looks at you with a disturbing grin. It’s not fear, or anger even. But excitement.

AVRIL:
En grade!

She jumps at you with the strength of ten men and lands in front of you. Before you can fire your weapons, they are smacked from your hand.

AVRIL:
Guns on a lady? What kind of gentlemen are you?

A second smack strikes your head. Even with your training and armor, you hear your brains scramble. Or maybe that’s the Batwave static.

BATWAVE:
Error88_skkhh Translation compro-mized.
AVRIL:
Magnifique, mon ami. I stab you now. Oui?
BATMAN:
Bat-taser!

The lighting-charged Batarang glides towards the gaps in Avril’s armor. Stunning her long enough for you to get up.

BATMAN:
Batwave, shut down the lights!
BATWAVE:
Error 5252 .exe Not found.

You burst back into the hallway and smile. You may have found a more... analog solution.
>>
File: The Guided Missile.png (554 KB, 878x521)
554 KB
554 KB .png
{Writer: Grant Morrison. Pencils and Inks: Mikel Janín. Colors: Jordie Bellaire. Letters: Tom Napolitano}

Oh, Messieur Fantôme. I have some knives to show your faceholes---oh merde.

GIGANTA:
ROARRRRR!!!

The giant red-haired ape and French super cyborg square off. Giganta is smart enough to go for Avril’s soft bits but Avril is agile enough to flank the gorilla.

AVRIL:
Have at thee, foul beast! Show me your skill! Brava!

Avril dances like a ballerina, sticking Giganta with knife after knife without being hit once. You pull out a Batarang.

AVRIL
Two-on-one? How unsporting.
BATMAN:
Game’s canceled on account of weather

You stab the Batarang into your chest plate. Batsmocke spews out as a spray can. Your computer may be down. But your suit is still armed.

AVRIL:
*hack*cough*spurt* Sacred blue, what is this. AIIIEEEH!!

Giganta is caught in the smoke as well, the ape’s aimless flailing finally knocksAvril straight through a wall. The threat ended to her eyes, Giganta runs off past you.
The hallway lays fallow now. Dead and unconscious apes and soldiers are the only company you and Avril have between you. And then she gets up.

AVRIL
*spit* I deedeent hear non whistle.

A tooth falls on the ground and she stares you down through swollen black eyes. Both fists raised.

>All For one, One For All!

Escape and meet back up with Dick and Ducard.

>Slay ‘em with Flowers.

Fight Avril. If you win, you will be able to get back to the Lab and get Ernst’s data. (Class- 7 Fight.)

(You will win the fight if my d6 roll plus Batman’s fight class is GREATER than Avril’s Fight Class.)

Batman Fight Class 4)
>>
>>5239173
We got enough information. Sticking around won't help us. Recoup our losses, organize what we found out, report back to Dick and Ducard, then head back to Gotham. France can wait to a later date...
>>
>>5239173
forgot my vote
>>
>>5239173
>Slay em with flowers.

Maybe install a back door.
>>
>>5239173
>>
>>5239173
>>
>>5239181
Locked for All For One, One for All

Update coming today.

(A note, this thread will be rather short, as the story threads detailed here were meant to be the last few updates of thread #2 before we got bumped off the page. This will be archived as Issue #2 part 2. After a final vote that will determine how Issue # 3 starts, Batquest will go on a season break that will be shorter than the breaks before Issues 1 and 2)
>>
File: Batman Away.gif (1442 KB, 498x398)
1442 KB
1442 KB .gif
{Image: Batman the Animated Series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm }

Fur and blood fill your nostrils and when you stare across the hall into the eyes of the kill crazed Frenchwoman, you know you face certain death. You flourish your cape and fade away to fight another day.

AVRIL:
I shall zee you again coward Fantôme!
_
Your suit finds its way into a duffle bag as you blend in with the throngs of tourists and locals gawking at the mysterious fire pouring from the dome.

Your satellites have a time advantage over the French ones, you’ll be able to track down most of the escapees and hopefully get them to safety. Speaking of, Dick recently tripped the emergency call.

You were smart to have a non-digital backup.

RED X:
Mr. Malone, I found evidence on the source of the arms dealings. Too big to say over comms.
BRUCE
Confirmed Birdwatcher. Rendezvous at area 52.
--

DUCARD:
The US Government? Really?
CHANG:
The serial numbers all match, this is NATO equipment.
DUCARD:
And why exactly would the Yanks be funneling super tech to two-bit thieves?
BATMAN
Destabilization. Espionage 101. Metahumans and Superscience opened up a new global arms race. The US probably doesn't want any rivals to Big Blue.
CHANG:
Oh, but they have one.

Chang leers over the blurry cowl image you took of Avril. You don’t know which is more disturbing. His lust for the woman, or for the machine.

CHANG:
She is perfect. I had no idea such technology was even in testing, let alone so effective.
DUCARD:
From the looks of your suit, it was effective enough to knock you around. I thought I trained more sense into you.
RED X:
Don’t talk to him like that!
DUCARD:
Your intern gonna fight your battles for you?

You fight against every pain-ridden muscle in your body to stand to Ducard’s face.

BATMAN:
Partner.
DUCARD:
BATMAN:
>>
File: Partners.jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080)
170 KB
170 KB .jpg
{Director:Joel Schumacher. Portrayals: Val Kilmer, Chris O’Donnel. Costume Design: Ingrid Ferrin, Bob Ringwood}

Ducard steps down.

DUCARD:
Fine. Even if this is coming from The States, it doesn't match the robberies. We’re tracking stolen European tech, not offloaded American.
RED X:
Weapons stolen from the labs were tracked to the same warehouse I found this sample. Interrogation confirmed the American source.
DUCARD:
Oh, so you’re the detective now?
BATMAN:
Let him finish.
RED X:
We have two pieces of the puzzle, we just need to connect them.

You open your bag and pull out a Batcomputer. Your suit may be damaged, but the Batwave program can still be run on a different system.

BATMAN:
Military weapons sales have been known to be laundered with NFTs. I could run an algorithm based on cross-referencing the dates of the thefts with those of the Black Bacchanals.
RED X:
Holy bank balance! Then you could filter out sales made in that range based on the bids I recorded when I bought the shadowvest.
DUCARD:
You’re yippie-ki-yay nonsense isn’t going to fly here now. Thanks to the mess you made at the Dome, the flicailles are crawling all over the city.
RED X:
I hate to admit it, but he’s right.
BATMAN:
Perhaps, or perhaps not. You alerted the police to the warehouse, right?
RED X:
Explosions tend to do that.
BATMAN:
Your suit leaves xeonothium trails. If we track them we can find where they stored the confiscated weapons. With all their focus on the Dome incident, an evidence locker shouldn’t be that secured.
RED X:
And with access to the whole stash, we could track the source down in a Gotham minute!
BATWAVE:
Algorithm complete. Probably location identified.
RED X:
An old Celtic castle. Figures.
DUCARD:
The two of you against the whole of the French Police or the United States Army?
BATMAN:
Since I’ve been doing this, I’ve been beaten, stabbed, and shot. I’ve fought giant bats, radioactive zombies, and armies of terrorists. I just got a compound fracture from a cyborg and a bruised rib from a talking ape, I live across the bay from an alien who could kill me with a look, and do you know what I have against all of that? My weapon to even those odds? I have one power. I never give up.

You reach a hand out to Dick.

BATMAN:
You’ve done well and proven yourself. As far as I’m concerned, your training is complete. Whichever choice you make, I trust you.

Dick takes off his Red X helmet, holds back tears, and gives the order.

> Uncle Sam Wants You
Raid the US Military in the Castle
> The Cavalier of Crime
Raid the French Police at the evidence locker.
>>
>>5241231
>The Cavalier of Crime
Taking the stash, we can find em quickest.
Focus on the mission.

There will be a reckoning for uncle sam after this, because you just KNOW waller is behind this somehow.
>>
>>5241231
>> The Cavalier of Crime
>>
>>5241231
> The Cavalier of Crime
>>
>>5241231
> The Cavalier of Crime

>>5241340
Finish up here, the back to the States? Makes sense to me.
>>
>>5242192
Locking for The Cavalier of Crime. Update next afternoon.
>>
File: Dynamic Duo.jpg (247 KB, 876x1024)
247 KB
247 KB .jpg
{Pencils: Tony S. Daniel Inks: Tony S. Daniel, Danny Miki. Colors: Tomeu Morey}

RED X:
The real problem is the weapons being circulated. We can't stop the army now, but we can get these weapons off the street.
And so in a dirty warehouse in a foreign land, what may become the world's greatest crime-fighting duo reunites!

Batman and Nightwing Fight Class: 5

BATMAN:
Henri, do you still have your leads in to Paris, PD?
DUCARD:
I can get you access codes, but only because I know you'd just break in without me. You're a fool to do this, it's certain failure.
RED X:
Maybe that’s what Batman is about. Not winning...but failing, and getting back up. Knowing he’ll fail, fail a thousand times, but still won’t give up.

Dick takes off his helmet and stares solemnly at it.

DICK:
Wearing this, I didn't do a lot of failing. I was powerful, felt like I could do anything. Hell I *could* do anything. But how I felt with it, what I did with it...

He hands it to Chang.

DICK:
It wasn't me.
BATMAN:
I think blue's more your color.
CHANG:
Goody! I have so many ideas.
BATMAN AND DICK:
No Xenothium.
CHANG:
Party poopers.
____
The Paris breeze feels good against your cape. Dick standing beside you feels better. All this turmoil and fighting separate made you realize how much better you functioned with him by your side.

NIGHTWING:
So what's the call?
BATMAN:
We have the evidence locker codes, it's a matter of how to get through the front door. Hacking the fire alarms and smoking out the stragglers could work, but we'd have no time to offload enough of the weapons.
NIGHTWING:
Hardware that advanced can't be kept in a local station too long, they'll have to transport it.
BATMAN:
Think your riding skills are up to it?
NIGHTWING:
You know they are, you should have seen me in the Narrows.
BATMAN:
I was a bit preoccupied, but I'll take your word for it.
NIGHTWING:
Bru-Batman. I want you to know. This is good for me, I think I want to do this, like really do this.
BATMAN:
It's your choice. But as long as you keep making that I want you to know I'll always be on your side.
NIGHTWING:
The only question left is, low-road or highroad?

>The Birth of Batplane II
Follow the caravan in the sky (Fight-Class 7)
>Secret of the Batmobile
Follow the caravan on the ground. (Fight-Class 8, Failure will have greater consequences.)
>>
>>5243488
>>
>>5243488
>>
>>5243488
>>The Birth of Batplane II
>>
>>5243488
>Birth of the Batplane.

Not really worth the spike in difficulty.
>>
>>5243488
One of these days, we'll increase that fight class
>>
>>5243848
Note: We did just now as a result of Dick finishing his training and the two achieving experienced based respect while recognizing they work well as a team.

Locking for The Birth of Batplane II, update this evening.

{Art: Win Mortimer, Ira Schnapp}