[3 / an / cgl / diy / gd / i / n / out / p / po / qst / s4s / t / trv / vip / vm / vmg / w / wg / wsr / ] [Settings]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Mitsuba Archive

File: pasted image.png (149 KB, 1013x828)
149 KB
149 KB .png
Startup......
Greetings, Navigators.
Thank you for your cooperation on this mission. What you have accepted is a dangerous mission, your sacrifice will not be taken lightly.
In your submarine, you have been equipped with you the tools you need to recover the lost data. To use these tools simply type your command into the terminal. Once a command has been received, duplicate commands will be ignored.
Be warned, Navigators, damage to the hull will increase the error rate of navigation. If your error rate reaches 30%, your hull will breach and you will fail.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Status
Status.....
>Current error rate: 10%
>Wall north: 9 Units
>Wall south: 3.5 Units
>Wall west: 4 Units
>Wall east: 10 Units
>Exact location: 5.0N 5.0E
>Distance from nearest objective 5.6 Units
>Current Scrap: 2
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help
Accepted commands:
>Move [x] @ N [y]° E (set bearing [y] degrees east starting from due north, then move [x] units, will damage hull and stop immediately if you hit a wall)
>Status (returns distance from nearest Objective, distance due north, south, east, and west of nearest wall, and current navigation error rate)
>Map [x1][y1]-[x2][y2] (returns map from [x1]N [y1]W to [x2]N [y2]W max range 625 square Units)
>Retrieve (attempts to retrieve objective, will fail and cause damage if more than 1 unit away in any direction )
>Repair (uses 3 scrap, improves error rate by 5%, gives exact location)
Caroiline@localhost:~$_
>>
>>5241130
which direction is our submarine facing?
>>
>>5241159
it does not face ina specific direction. to go for example to 10e 10n you would say move 7 @ N 45 E
>>
>>5241130
>move 6.3 @ N 342 E
>>
>>5241159
Well actually... If it would be easier, then I can keep track of the direction the submarine is going in. And right now it would be facing due east. Also test to see if I have the same id when phoneposting.
>>
>>5241190
iIs probably fine if its kept as is honestly
>>
>>5241189
Caroiline@localhost:~$ move 6.3 @ N 342 E
Done
(you may send more than one command at a time, they will be executed in order. )
>>
>>5241196
>Status
>>
>>5241201
Status...
>0.5 to nearest objective
>4.2N to Wall
>5.0E to Wall
>3.0W to Wall
>10.0S to Wall
>Error Rate 10%
>>
>Move [6] @ N [270]° E

I hope I haven’t crashed us. This should bring us straight up?
>>
>>5241130
Are we swimming in the ocean of blood?
>>
File: Printout.png (49 KB, 656x947)
49 KB
49 KB .png
>>5241206
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Move
How to use the Move command:
The move command takes into account absolute bearing starting from the first direction, and moving the number of degrees specified toward the final direction. for example, 6 N 270° E starts facing due north, then rotates clockwise toward the east 270° and then would proceed forward 6 units. this has a final direction of due west. another way to give the same bearing would be 6 W 0° N or 6 S 90° W. Please see the printout for further clarification
Are you sure you want to Move 6 @ N 270° E?
Caroiline@localhost:~$ >>5241209
It seems some amount of inspiration was taken from a certain game. No matter, I do hope you enjoy.
>>
>>5241216
>Are you sure you want to Move 6 @ N 270° E?

No! Thanks for the clarification. I’d like to change to
>Retrieve (attempts to retrieve objective, will fail and cause damage if more than 1 unit away in any direction )

Since >>5241189 already piloted us.
>>
>>5241223
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Retrieve
*The retrieval drone deploys and you watch from your monitor, soon the searchlight spots the wreckage of a small submarine, not unlike your own. The drone automatically begins navigating to it and searches for the vessels Black Box. you surmise this must have been the rescue mission prior to yours. The wreckage does not inspire confidence. The twisted metal grave half buried by the sediment*
Retrieving....
Found: Data Box with Captains Log
SS Arlin,
Rescue mission 3
Date: January 4th 2062
Captains log

We have hit depth, these caves are much more complex than previously thought. Finding research station Carlisle will be much tougher than expected. We have been sending out radio pings every 15 minutes searching for both the Exploration Vessel Amelia, and Rescue Mission Charlie, we have not received any response. The last known location of the Exploration Vessel Amelia was at 37.2E 41.0N and Charlie was 9.0E 17.0N

No signs of life as of yet.. its just me down here. This steel tube feels like a coffin at times, but I am reminded of my beating heart when the pressure makes the walls groan.

Cpt. Susan Hamill
>>
>>5241216
Iron Loong spoiler: I hope the evil entity isn't a big fish this time, they really dropped the ball on that one. Wrong and unknown is scary, not alien fish.
>>
>>5241242
I agree. Like I said, some amount of inspiration. And to be totally honest, narratively I'm still pulling it together. Also lol I haven't used spoiler text in years I hope I did it right.
>>
>>5241229
>Move [6] @ N [135]° E

Let’s get into the tunnel. Can someone do the map command after this?
>>
>>5241249
Understandable, also
>Map [-10][10]-[15][-15]
>>5241259
already got it
>>
>>5241259
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 6 @ N 135° E
Done
>>5241266
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Map
How to use the Map command:
the map command uses two coordinate pairs as inputs. for example 0.0N 0.0E - 15.0N 20.0E will return the map shown at the beginning, however it will not show the location of the submarine nor the objective. that must be deduced using the status command and the previous navigation

OOC: I'm sorry if the commands are utterly confusing.... i really didn't know how to properly communicate them, if its too autistically difficult i can return exact location on status.
>>
>>5241279
Fuck, I was pretty sure the map was just XY/XY, didn't spot "N/W" in the instruction with so many symbols there. Also no idea how to read/put N/E coordinates on an X/Y grid.

My advice would be to first expect us to not know ANYTHING about marine/ocean navigation terms. Even words like "bearing" are alien and of no help. With that in mind, >>5241216 pic was of HUGE help to understanding the move command. You should give us all the command practical examples or tutorial on how to combine status+map and then move accordingly, ideally in an image so it's easy to find and comprehend.

Sorry to disappoint, we're all dumb and uneducated here.
>>
>>5241279
Alright, I think I got it.

>Map [15][15]-[40][40]
>>
File: pasted image.png (204 KB, 900x869)
204 KB
204 KB .png
>>5241295
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 15E 15N - 40E 40N
Please see printout for map
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (189 KB, 1611x1611)
189 KB
189 KB .png
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map Full
Please see printout for the full size map as it currently stands
>>
>>5241279
I guess we’re in the mouth of the tunnel now.

>Charlie was 9.0E 17.0N

Have we gotten this yet? Is it the one we just got?
>>
File: printout.png (259 KB, 631x631)
259 KB
259 KB .png
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Clarification
in this scenario, the submarine moved 9N 80° E and resulted at the coordinates 19E 7.2N, afterwards, the submarine requested status, and found that the wall due north was 3 units away, east was 3, south was 3.5 and west was 13.5. it also found that the objective was 8 units away. finally, it requested a map from the point 15E 5N to the point 30E 20N, which is highlighted in purple.
Please see printout for further clarification.
If you would like to change settings such that the submarine's exact location is given on the status request, then please enable it with the following command: autism = false
>>5241321
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Mission
You are aboard the SS Caroiline, you have recovered the data from the SS Arlin, Rescue Mission 3. Aboard the Arlin, you found data for the last-known locations of the SS Charlie and the SS Amelia. the Charlie was a Rescue mission and the Amelia was an exploration vessel.
OOC: Thanks for being patient with me, i might be retarded.
>>
>>5241329
Ah, we haven’t gotten it yet then. I’ll leave it for someone else to pilot since I did the last one.

>autism = false
>>
File: pasted image.png (64 KB, 681x711)
64 KB
64 KB .png
>>5241331
Caroiline@localhost:~$ autism = false
Confirmed
Current location: 6.7E 7.0N
See Printout
>>
Yeah I'm too retarded to play this
>>
>>5241334
>Move 7.5 @N45°E
To be safe since I'm doing a rough approximation of our current position and we have randomizer at 10%.
>Retrieve
>Status
>Map 10E 5N - 30E 25N
That's the max, right?

>>5241329
day 3: A map appeared
day 4: I̺̯̪̥͚̞̳̞͕͚̘͓̹̻̰͎̣ ̳̱̻͕̳̤̖͚͉͎̮a̮͍̥̼̦͉̖̱͔̰̼͍͎͉̦m̰̣͇ͅ ̥̜͕̫͉̜̻̜̹̮̰̤̠̠̼̳b͚̬͓̞̟͉̙̟e̼̫̳̰͇̻̥̝͙̜g̜̥̫̣i̭̦̭̬̱̗̖͍̰̣̠̥͇̙̼̫̘̤ṇ͚̗̥̜̰̠̱̺̮̦n̞̰̳͎̳͙̙͔̠i̤̥̠̮̤̖̠͙̺̫n̥͈͕̪̟͙̣̟͙̣͎̙̖̟ͅg̟̗͎̗̜̣̗̪͙͎̣ ̞̱̺̬̼̹͇͔͕̰͈͓̙t̞̰̠͍ͅo̻͇̮̣̗̳͖ ̮̩̤̰u̖͖̙n͚͇͖̭͙̗͕̝̰̥̞͓͈͚̜̝d̤͉͓̗̞̻͉̙̳̥̘͎͔̮̞̺e͓̯̙̞̻͕͕͎̹r͖̹͚͙̝͍̱̤͍͓͕̱̼͚̦̝̮̠ͅs̗̖͔̤̦ͅt̺͙̠͇̥̩̬͚̜͕̳a̺͔͍̝͔̬̻̯̣͈͙̮͍̦̻͇͈͙n̪͖͇̫ͅḍ̻̺͚͇͕͕̼͚̞̞̝̳̻̞̼.̫̘̜̗̱̙
>>
File: 28.jpg (73 KB, 1083x1500)
73 KB
73 KB .jpg
>>5241334
This is extremely autistic. Fascinatingly so.
> Move 0.1 @S45°E
>>
File: 1650814692450.png (377 KB, 432x410)
377 KB
377 KB .png
>>5241458
Nice dog you got there, anon. What does she eat?
>>
>>5241477
hot pockets probably
>>
File: file.png (41 KB, 681x711)
41 KB
41 KB .png
Were we able to retrieve any scrap from the Arlin?

>>5241394
Wouldn't this put this straight into a wall?

Like I'm pretty sure this just rammed us straight into a wall.
>>
File: pasted image.png (414 KB, 863x577)
414 KB
414 KB .png
>>5241394
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 7.5 @N45°E
Error! Collision detected!
Error rate increased to 15%
Stopping after 4.2 Units
Error! too far from Objective!
Error rate increased to 20%
>current error rate 25%
>current location 9E 9N
>Distance from nearest objective: 8
>See printout.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 10E 5N - 30E 25N
Done. See printout for Map highlighted in Blue
>>5241458
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 0.1 @S45°E
Error! Negligable distance.
Aborting.
>>5241507
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Mission Arlin
You have found the wreckage of the SS Arlin. The Black Box was retrieved. Nothing else was recovered.
>>
>>5241529
Damn it! Navigator Iz2xXTdf, this better come out of your paycheck if we survive this.

>Move [8] @ N [90]° E
>>
File: file.png (390 KB, 863x577)
390 KB
390 KB .png
>Move 6@N0

>Move 8@N76W

> Retrieve

>Status

Accounting for Navigator's instructions EYcsz6B5 (Maroon), we should be able to head straight north and head straight to the objective.
>>
>>5241549
Considering our new Margin of Error problem, we should wait to confirm status before retrieving. It’s 20%, which is now non-negligible, so retrieving without confirmation of our position might break us further.
>>
Ah shoot, forgot to check the map at [7E] [15N] to [15E] [22N]

>>5241554

Fair enough, It's just that the last status report has us at 9.5N which is within the margin of 1 for collection.

Although I do agree that we should probably realign ourselves to a coordinate point on the map as soon as possible.

Especially since Amelia was at 37.2E 41.0N which we haven't even seen yet.

We would have to do 30E 20N to 40E 50N to even see what's going on over there.
>>
>>5241529
WHAT THE FUCK I WAS LOOKING AT THE WHITE FUCKING MAP THIS ISN'T FUCKING FAIR FUCK
>Status
queueing commands is going to get us killed
>>
Honestly since the sub is indiscriminate, I'm worried about two people sending commands at the same time.
>>
>>5241562
Maybe if a command queue forms it could ask wether or not we want to do it when the next command comes up? It might give us a bit more margin for error if we screw up.
>>
>>5241529
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Error Rate
Previous Error Rate was miscalculated, actual Error Rate is now 20%
Error rate is a measurement of the buildup of error from miscalibrated sensors, undetected currents, and latent GPS signaling. Fortunately, your Submarine is equipped with quite sturdy instruments! Error rate affects both the distance you go and the angle you are headed. For example, if you move 10@N45E and have an error rate of 10% then you may move anywhere from 9-11@ N 35-55 E. Fear not! the error rate is weighted to be more accurate than inaccurate. When the error rate is at 10% then there is a 52% chance you will be accurate to within 2%. Basically, for each part, the direction and the distance, I roll 4d6, subtract 14 then the result is the error factor. for example a roll of 13 has an error factor of -1, so -1% distance, then i repeat the process with degrees, so if i roll a 16 the error factor is 2 and the direction is moved 2 degrees further than intended. if I roll a 14, the error factor is 0 and the distance/direction does not change. if the "Error Rate" is different than 10% then the error factor is multiplied to reflect that. right now I am multiplying the error factor by 2. as your error rate is 2%
To turn on setting to calculate error factor in public, use command: Error Factor = No Cheating Slowbro!
>>5241533
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move [8] @ N [90]° E
Done.
>>5241549
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 6@N0
Done.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 8@N76W
Done.
More....
>>
File: Printout.png (207 KB, 599x607)
207 KB
207 KB .png
>>5241549
*The retrieval drone deploys and you watch from your monitor. The SS Charlie is ahead in the murky water, well part of it. Drone circles around in search of the Black Box, or any clues at all. You remember during your briefing you were informed that the Charlie along with one other vessel, the Iliana, had been deployed when Amelia disappeared and it sent a distress signal just before going dark. Suddenly you feel cold. It seems there are more dead people down here than living. *
Retrieving...
Found: Data Box with Distress Signal, 2d4 Scrap (see roll), Music Disc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJfIxS8ce0
SS Charlie
Rescue Mission 2
Date March 16th 2061
Distress Broadcast

This is captain Hubert Wilderman, SS Charlie, our vessel has become trapped, or at least it feels like it. We are hopelessly lost. We have run out of food, our air oxygenator is beginning to malfunction. Fortunately our desalinator is working as intended so as long as we conserve energy we should last for another month or so. We are already beginning to suffer from starvation however. we find ourselves much too tired to navigate properly. We do have one coordinate of the path out of here, its roughly at 75.0N but we have no clue how far east it is.

All i can do is listen to this CD on repeat. the old timey recording comforts me in some way. reminds me of home. I miss the sun dearly. The burning yellow of incandescent makes me feel like an insect, chasing a false moon. I am going to die. I can feel it in my deepest bones that this message will only ever reached a felow doomed soul. if you are down here because of me, i am terribly sorry.
>current error rate 20%
>current location 10E 16.63N
>Distance from nearest objective: 36.5
>See printout.
>>5241557
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map [7E] [15N] to [15E] [22N]
>>
Rolled 2, 1 = 3 (2d4)

>>5241562
>>5241575
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Command Queue
Queuing commands will reward more scrap on a successful retrieve. Every time 2 Navigators successfully execute a command each, or one Navigator successfully executes 3 commands in a row before terminal confirmation the potential scrap increases! By 1d4 current scrap potential 2d4
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Inventory
See Roll for scrap
>>
>>5241612
>Repair
>Move 5u @N90°E
>Map 10E 12N, 30E 22N

What's "terminal confirmation" exactly?
>>
File: pasted image.png (78 KB, 900x469)
78 KB
78 KB .png
>>5241753
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Repair
Done. Error rate is now 15%
Remaining Scrap: 2
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 5@N90°E
Done.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 10E 12N, 30E 22N
No new information gathered.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Terminal Confirmation
Commands are given and executed in order, after all given commands are executed, Terminal displays a confirmation. This is a terminal confirmation.
>>
>>5241753
I presume it'll reward us for not constantly going

Status
Status
Status

After every move. I wonder if it's cumulative.

>Move 14@N90E
>Move 17.5@N43E
>Move 8@N0
>Move 5@N37W
>Retrieve
>>
>>5241789
Incorrect, and also if you broke our shit, I'm calling this quest a failed experiment and requesting a multiplayer mode instead.
>>5241780
>Map 15E 15N, 40E 40N
>>
>>5241798
hey, I'm not they guy who drove us straight into a rock
>>
>>5241789
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 14@N90E
Stopping after 13 units
Decalibration detected. Aborted.
>>5241798
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 15E 15N, 40E 40N
Done. See Printout >>5241608 and >>5241300
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Multiplayer
We'll see.
>>
>>5241802
Sorry anon I got my shit mixed up, it's late here.
You did not take into account that error grows the more actions you perform and that to retrieve we have to be closer than 1U from the objective or fail and take damage.
Now we are two hits from death.
>>
>>5241826
Post was deleted nerd

I think OP perhaps did an oopsie

I am also accounting for some minor errors
>>
>>5241829
I wonder how you accounted for almost 3.3 units of mistake in either way.
This system doesn't encourage doing combos with an error, it's only for hoarding scrap when we're at 0%.
>>
>>5241789
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 14@N90E
Done.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 17.5@N43E
Stopping after 9.5 units
Decalibration detected. Aborted.
>>5241798#
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 15E 15N, 40E 40N
Done. See Printout >>5241608 and >>5241300
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Multiplayer
We'll see.
OOC: >>5241829 Yes, I did an oopsie, I calculated the error on your angle wrong. 07eSQDG4 makes a very sokid point. asking for status is not forbidden in any way and ending combos with status will tell you how close you are to the objective. also you just barely skimmed the column.
>>
>>5241851

Aw darn, this definitely was the most dicey procedure in my queue.

Well probably just do

>Move 1@N90E
>Move 6@N18E
>Map 35E 40N 40E 80N
>Map Full
>Status
>>
>>5241851
>Status (too late)
>Cry
Love this quest's idea, but it puts too much trust into players, especially the chaining without a way to negate the mistakes.
Imma sleep now, will return tomorrow with a new ID. Once the hull gets breached, please offer my body to the void for study.

>>5241870
Did you just move without checking our exact position first?
>>
>>5241851
I'm vaguely interested. Is this gonna have some Barotrama elements to this quest? Have you played the game? it's pretty fun, especially with the mods.
>>
File: file.png (253 KB, 599x607)
253 KB
253 KB .png
>>5241875
Yes.

We skimmed the column after moving 9.5 units.

Which would put us to the left of the the red circle.

Moving one to the right should be the red circle accounting for a rough margin of error even if it wouldn't be that drastic especially at such a small scale.

And account for some changes in bearing we have nothing in the direction we're heading so it would be safe to move that way to the orange circle.
>>
File: pasted image.png (536 KB, 609x1162)
536 KB
536 KB .png
>>5241870
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 1@N90E
Done.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 6@N18E
Error rate increased to 25%
Stopping after 0.9 units
Hull status critical! All move and retrieve actions must now be confirmed by another Navigator!
To confirm another crewmates move action input: <Navigator> Move Confirm.
You may confirm yourself after 1 hour if no other navigator has confirmed for you.
Multiple Moves are not allowed until hull is repaired.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 35E 40N 40E 80N
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map Full
Error, maximum area mapped is 625 square units.
>current error rate 25%
Hull status critical!
>current location 37.1E 27N
>Distance from nearest objective: 14.0
>See printout.
>>5241875
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Cry
;-;
>>5241879
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Inspiration
receiving transmission....
OOC: This quest was inspired by iron lung and some exploration game on the switch or something, as well as my trigonometry class. because this is a lot of trigonometry. it does not feature many aspects similar to barotrauma other than being in a sub, a bad piloting system, and likelihood of failure. but I am still mulling over the next story beat as I have yet to actually write the Amelia Log. i have briefly played barotrauma. i agree it is fun. but only with friends.
>>5241881
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Deduction
Wrong
>>
>>5241917
Took a bit but now I understand the system a lot better now.

>Move 1.2@N90E
>Map 15E 40N 35E 71N
>Status
>>
File: pasted image.png (188 KB, 398x686)
188 KB
188 KB .png
>>5241944
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 1.2@N90E
Waiting for Confirmation
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 15E 40N 35E 71N
Unchanged
>>
I wonder if we can gain sustenance by drinking from the ocean of blood...
>>
>>5241944
>Deconfirm
>Change angle to 110E

With our margin of error, there’s a non-zero chance that the angle offset is going to send us straight into that rock up above. We should aim for a central range from now on, that’ll still get us to safety even if it’s slightly tilted off-course.
>>
>>5242015
Fair enough, I'll confirm for this.

Presuming that it allows us to go over 90 and doesn't make us do S70E
>>
File: pasted image.png (99 KB, 1059x811)
99 KB
99 KB .png
>>5242015
>>5242024
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 1.2@N 110E
Confirmed.
Done
>current error rate 25%
Hull status critical!
>current location 38.3E 27.8N
>Distance from nearest objective: 14.2
>See printout. Submarine icon hidden for precision.
>>
>>5242045
Okay now we need to start heading north.

Angle is just under 45 for an ideal.

>Move 3@N35E
>>
>>5242045
>Move 1.2@N110E
>Move 6N0E

Juuust a little bit more. And then up.
>>
>>5242052
Confirm.

Navigator, can you double check mine and see if it’s a safe choice? Hopefully we can get scrap.
>>
>>5242056
I'm thinking a little to the right a bit more?

N25E for the second one?
For Margin of Error.
>>
>>5242056
Actually probably don't want to do the first movement.
>>
>>5242058
>>5242060
Yeah good point. We should be doing diagonals until we can reduce our margin.

>Cancel first, Move 6N25E
>>
>>5242061
Confirm.
>>
>>5242052
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 3@N35E
Confirmed.
Done.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 6N25E
Confirmed.
Done.
>>
>Status
>>
>Status
>Check scrap
>>
>>5242073
We currently have 2 scrap.
>>
File: pasted image.png (80 KB, 721x759)
80 KB
80 KB .png
>>5242072
*you look at your fellow navigator, and breathe a sigh of relief. the rest of the crew has retired to bed, and you have narrowly avoided a deepwater grave. you peer out the porthole and see the tunnels twisting every which way. the buzzing alarms in the background are incessantly buzzing but at least the proximity sensors arent freaking out anymore. you look down at your dinner, oatmeal with sausage, its gotten cold. you dont feel like eating.*
>current error rate 25%
Hull status critical!
>current location 42.6E 31.9N
>Distance from nearest objective: 10.5
>>
>>5242079
>Move 4N7W

We can probably eek out another two if someone else is bold enough
>>
Dont forget to call Status after movement
>>
>>5242081
By 7w, did you mean to go 353 E? Or is it a typo?
>>
>>5242089
those are identical angles and both are understood and valid
>>
>>5242089
Yes

W is for west.
>>
>>5242092
Yeah, but so far everything has been measured in E. Adding W goes outside how the system has been operating.
>>
>>5242095

That's because we've been going right.

>>5241202
This one has the west measurement

>>5241216
See, Point B has the example of N60W

I'm not pulling West out of my ass.
>>
>>5242081
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 4N7W
Need Confirmation
>>
>>5242101
Ah, I see. Alright then. Confirm.
>>
File: pasted image.png (164 KB, 896x809)
164 KB
164 KB .png
>>5242101
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 4N7W
Confirmed
Done.
>current error rate 25%
Hull status critical!
>current location 43.3E 36.8N
>Distance from nearest objective: 7.4
>>
>>5242119

>Move 3.2@N0
>Map 4E 71N 35E 91N
>Status
>>
>>5242130
Confirm
>>
File: pasted image.png (398 KB, 752x1157)
398 KB
398 KB .png
>>5242130
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 3.2@N0
Confirmed
Done.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 4E 71N 35E 91N
Error! Out of Range!
Available area Mapped.
Check Printout.
>current error rate 25%
Hull status critical!
>current location 43.4E 40,0N
>Distance from nearest objective: 6.2
Warning! Battery low, shutting down in two hours.
Reboot scheduled for tomorrow at 7:00 PM GMT
I have lectures to attend
>>
>>5242239
>4.5N 270E
>>
File: pasted image.png (53 KB, 688x651)
53 KB
53 KB .png
>>5242248
FUCK IT YOU ARE CLOSE TO THE THINGY AND I WANNA GO TO BED
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 4.5N 270E
Confirmation needed
Error, Admin override
Done.
>current error rate 25%
Hull status critical!
>current location 38.6E 39.6N
>Distance from nearest objective: 1.9
Warning! Battery low, shutting down in two hours.
Reboot scheduled for tomorrow at 7:00 PM GMT
>>
>>5242283
>1n0e
Retrieve!
>>
>>5242299
I'd prefer if we were a bit closer, I'd say

>Move 1@N40W
>Retrieve

Going straight up might cause us to move away from the wreckage due to the error factor.
>>
>>5242299
>>5242319
I would feel much more comfortable going just
>0.5u @N45W
>Status
Going the whole 1U can make us crash into the objective.
>>
>>5242450
>>5242319
>>5242299
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 1n0e 1@N40W @N45W
Error! inconsistend confirmation
Recalibrating
Error rate 25%
-
>>
>>5242977
>Move 0.5u @N0°W
>Status
I REFUSE to die.
How do you properly write straight north or south, btw?
>>
>>5242981
@N0

per >>5241216
>>
>>5242450
Confirm
>>
File: pasted image.png (90 KB, 989x878)
90 KB
90 KB .png
>>5242981
Caroiline@localhost:~$ 0.5 @N0°W
Done
>current error rate 25%
Hull status critical!
>current location 38.6E 40.0N
>Distance from nearest objective: 1.7
>nearest objective location: 37.2E 41N
>See printout
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Error Rate
The error rate will make you either overshoot or undershoot both the angle and the distance. at 25% you will over or undershoot the distance by 25% of the expected distance. The error is weighted toward the expected value. The minimum distance a 0.5 move could move is .4 and the maximum is .6.
you cannot crash into the objective. only the walls. i apologize if that was not clear. still working out the kinks.
>>
File: pasted image.png (93 KB, 1074x852)
93 KB
93 KB .png
>>5243043
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Status Printout
Done
>>
>>5243045
>Move 1@N45W
>Retreive
>>
>>5243069
>Confirm.
>>
Rolled 3 + 4 (1d6 + 4)

>>5243069
>>5243077
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Move 1@N45W
Done
*The retrieval drone deploys and you watch from your monitor. Amelia is a much larger submarine than your own vessel, it was crewed by many people. Researchers, biologists, navigators, and weapons specialists all called Amelia their home. the screeching alarms are starting to fade into the background now. much easier to ignore, but hopefully you recover something to get it to shut up. you look across the room to your fellow Navigators, you have had your disagreements but hopefully this will finally but a turning point.*
Retrieving...
Found: Data Box with Video Log, Data Box with Upgrade, Data Box with Location Log, Encrypted Data Box, 5d4 Scrap (see roll), 1d6 electrical components (see roll)
Video Log
*a man leans back away from the camera, his beard is unkempt. he is wearing a white jumpsuit and a gray woolen beanie. the room he is in is decorated with blue furniture. it must be the captains quarters. in the porthole throught he door exiting the room a shadow passes, one of the crew. the man stares into the camera and begins to speak*
Exploration Vessel SS Amelia, June Third 2060. This is captain Mitchell Bogan, We left Station Carlisle approxomately three weeks ago. Our goal was to venture north but we were unable to find a way through the rocks. Therefore we have been exploring westward in search for more information on what has been going on. You see, we have been recieving packets of encrypted data intermittently for the past couple of weeks, and we cannot decipher it. On our way Westward we were able to locate three structures, that should they be explored might offer some clue, we have left them behind for now in hopes of tracking the radio signal. We have been able to roughly triangulate it, but we stopped recieving transmissions before we were able to nail it down precisely. Occasionally our printouts will show a shifting column, investigations with the drone have always resulted in disaster. we suspect that there might be a very large fish down here. we havent run into it yet, and it doesnt seem to bother us. but to be rather safe than sorry we try to keep at least 10 clicks away from it.
*he sticks his fingers into his beard like a giant comb and starts pulling on the tangles, he looks very tired*
if we cant find a way north soon i will be forced to turn us around and abort mission. im secretly hoping that is the case. my contract is nearly up and i havent seen my wife for 3 years.
*he leans forward and reaches out, the video feed ends*
More
>>
Rolled 1, 4, 4, 2 = 11 (4d4)

>>5243149
OOPS i did the dice wrong. the 1d6 is correct. ignore the 4.
More
Upgrade
you now have the ability to upgrade your submarine. an upgrade costs 2 scrap and 1 electrical component. available upgrades:
>Select Precision: you can eliminate the error rate on one aspect of each move command, either the angle or the distance. i.e. Move 3 @ S 36 E precision distance. (this would guarantee 3 units of movement)
>Extended Range Drone: you can retrieve from a distance of 3 instead of 1
>Map: reveals the full map
>Proximity Override: if you are on a crash course, or a retrieve would fail, there is a chance that you will not take hull damage. 1d4, on 1, take damage
>Status Upgrade: see a bigger distance on the printout, as well as the bearing and distance of a chosen objective instead of just the distance to the nearest. Will calculate and report the amount of error on the most recent move. finally, a radial grid overlay will show approxomate angles and distances on printout.
>Course Corrector: multiple moves reduce error, cumulatively and retroactively, by 5% per move. if you do two moves, your error is reduced by 10%, for both moves. four moves, 20% error reduction, for each move. Status command resets count. Terminal confirmation resets count.
Upgrades and repairs are now done by vote, and must be confirmed.
For more information, simply ask for help.
Encripted data and location log downloading.... please wait writing
>>
>>5243151
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Inventory
you have 13 scrap
you have 3 electrical components
you have Encrypted data
you have Location log
>>
File: file.png (836 KB, 750x679)
836 KB
836 KB .png
>>5243149

GOD DAMN IT

NOT THE FISH AGAIN
>>
>>5243158
OOC and minor spoilers. its not a fish, man, its a moving wall to make navigation harder. well i mean.. its a fish yeah but this isnt iron lung, this is MY QUEST ON ON EARTH IN THE YEAR 2062. THIS IS FUCKING SEALAB
>>
>>5243162
Listen, I had to, you said fish and with all of the iron lung shenanigans

Time for discussion men.

In terms of upgrades

I personally like Precision, Proximity Override, and Course Corrector.
Whether we take all three is to be discussed.

Our next goal is probably North so we gotta get out of the cave and head north towards N75

>Map 1E 32N 15E 91N

I don't anyone would be against doing a cheeky little

>Repair

Which would leave us with 10 scrap

>Cat Encrypted Data
>Cat Location Log
>>
File: pasted image.png (69 KB, 599x586)
69 KB
69 KB .png
>>5243175
OOC update:okay, i have come up with the stuff. it was hard. i also tweaked the aesthetic and added a nav guide for free so hopefully less mathimatically inclined anons might feel like participating. if you want to use a direction along the line, you can just say the cardinal direction/combo (i,.e southwest) i am off to bed. resuming again tomorrow at 7:00 GMT.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Map 1E 32N 15E 91N
Error! area too large. Maximum mappable area 625.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Cat Encrypted Data
PA FI IA HN LY AR NT ES
YD ES DK VG DR EY EP
TO WQ DL TA CE ZF HN
FE BA NT IE EN CV DA
AH GT GE BG WH VD AY
NA NT BA BB AY NA EW
BM YA AU PE EH RN FE
Done.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Cat Location Log
Station Carlisle - 117.5E 45.6N
Station Erna - 63.9E 19.2N
Structure A - 66.7E 50.4N
Structure B - 56.9E 44N
Structure C - 59.0E 24.0N
Radio Source: approx 27 from Erna and 32 from Carlisle
Done.
>>
File: 1639164656374.png (234 KB, 708x635)
234 KB
234 KB .png
>>5243557
ill admit im afraid to play because i fucking hate trig, but this quest is probably one of the most interesting ones I've seen in my 6 years here, keep it up OP!
>>
>>5243175
>Confirm
>>5243557
>Repair
>Repair
>Repair
I say fuck the upgrades until we patch this metal coffin.
Also ugh, time to open pain.t and put those points of interest on the map, I guess.
>>5243151
You said 5d4, but rolled 4d4?
>>5243653
It's really easy once you understand it, but you need to grab a protractor.
>>
>>5243175
Confirm. For Precision, let's go for Angle fix instead of distance? It's easier to be careful with distance than angling.
>>
>>5243678
I've been using inverse tan from slope to get my angles hahaha
>>
My rational is that we would want to get upgrades to counteract the margin of error.

Especially Course Corrector. If we queue up a hypothetical 20 moves that would reduce our error to 0.

And my understanding of taking the precision upgrade is that on a given move you can opt to get a precise angle, say through a tunnel, and then a precise distance for tight turns.

Proximity Override is just all around pretty good as it reduces our chances of getting hit by 75%.

Mind since we have our first repaired we still have scrap to to work with.

Presuming we repair twice that still leaves us with 4 scrap for two upgrades, and our margin of error would be 10%.

Not to mention being super accurate will make it super easy to rack up scrap die which will make it super easy to take our margin to zero.

As
>>5243693
Said, it's distance error is a lot more forgiving, since I skimmed the column either because it moved or margin fucked up my calculations.

The others I see as a nice to have but not necessary at the moment.
>>
File: SlugQuest_7 (1).png (1 KB, 200x200)
1 KB
1 KB .png
>>5243693
We don't have to worry about error if the error is negligible.
>>5243720
Just make it 2 more fixes, then?
And don't take Proximity Override - it's just worse Extended Range Drone.
>>
>>5243738
My concern with proximity is the moving column, prox will serve as a contingency for longer routes.
>>
>>5243742
Shit I forgot the fucking objectives can't be crashed into.
I must be at 25% brain damage.

Well, you guys choose whatever I guess, but please do 3 fixes total (so confirm 2 of my 3). That way we're like to 10% as you said and will be cruisin lightly.
>>
>Repair
>Repair
>>
>>5243738
Ah crap, forgot to remove name.

>>5243746

Right yeah, so our upgrades will cost 6 scrap and 3 elecs, and we're gonna repair twice for 3 scrap each?

Leaving us with 1 scrap.
>>
>>5243750
confirm!
>>5243751
doing 3 fixes total, sorry
gives us only 10% error
>>
>>5243751

We've already repaired once,

So presuming we repair twice that leaves us at 4 scrap for 2 upgrades.
>>
>>5243754
Ah. In that case, let's go for Proximity and Precision? I think Course Corrector is the least necessary out of them, because we can just be careful.
>>
>>5243760
The funny thing is that that was my logic for dropping proximity since if we plan our route well enough, we get cumulative stacks of course correction.

Since each additional action adds 5% error reduction.

So at 3 actions that gives us a 10% off our already 10% margin.

Which will grant us a 9% margin, on top of getting us another scrap die to get proximity down the line.
>>
>>5243762
That makes sense. If we can get someone to manually do our status checks, which will be 100% accurate if we get down to 0% margin, it’s smooth sailing from there.
>>
>>5243762
Think I should add, that I don't like upgrades purely cause I won't be able to take all these things into account. Same for anyone who wants to join I imagine.
>>
>>5243767
I think as long as status shows us our upgrades that'll be fine.

Speaking of

>Map 5E 32N 15E 72N
>Status
>>
>>5243772
Don't you remember how your own crash course for piloting went WITHOUT extra things to mind and calculate based om number of individual moves made? Please, anon.
t.>>5241394
>>
File: 1650967203000.png (620 KB, 1666x1157)
620 KB
620 KB .png
Someone map this shit, cause my head hurts.
>>
>>5243557
ok ill try anyway
>Map 40E 15N - 55E 45N
>>
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Upgrade Course Corrector
The course corrector reduces your error absolutely, not relatively. So for example, if you have 25% hull damage, and make a 5 move queue, your error would be reduced by 5% for each move, which would be 0% error.
Caroiline@localhost:~$ Help Upgrade Precision
With the precision upgrade, you can specify what you want to be precise in each movement, changing freely.
just a quick clarification before i head to school. see yall in 5 hours! oh and heres another d4 scrap, one anon noticed i fucked up.
>>
>>5243786
*Cough*

Look at the IDs anon.

Mine skimmed the column since error fucked up my calculations.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d4)

>>5243895
ROLLAN
>>
>>5243940
We have 14 scrap!
>>5243938
*cough* what? Don't tell me you don't know how phonefaggotry works.
>>
>>5243945
Alright, how about the fact that I was the one to point out to said post that he rammed us into a wall.
>>5241507

Not to say I'm not a fuckup though, my recklessness and hasty calculations for margin of error did hit the wall.

But man, Course Corrector effectively removing margin of error is sick.
>>
Also, fuck you Navigator lz2xXTdf, everythinks I'm you.
>>
File: 1650984014885.gif (119 KB, 200x200)
119 KB
119 KB .gif
>>5243966
You mean >>5241798? Also me.
>>
>>5243997

Memeing aside, what would your thoughts be in regards to course corrector since we do now have some more scrap even at minimum we'll be able to afford one more repair to set our error factor to 5% and I don't know how negative error factor works. Since that means that aslong as we submit commands in groups of two our error would be 0
>>
>>5243895
Cya in a bit!

Upgrades aside, is anyone able to decipher the code?
>>
>>5244009
>negative error factor works
Like, if we had -5% error? We'd just operate at peak efficiency at all times (0% error).
I wasn't joking, I crashed into the wall, because I looked at the wrong map and then lamented as you proceeded to drift into walls. Just saying the learning curve is steep in this one.
>>5244014
We gotta ask QM whether it's something we're supposed to actually decode or the "code" is fake and we're supposed to grab a decoder item to get the answer.
>>
>>5244036
It's real information. You think I wouldn't autistically encode shit when I make you guys autistically move?
>>
File: Code.png (97 KB, 1055x645)
97 KB
97 KB .png
>>5244036
>>5244041
I'm on the case! Solved it!

Anyway, I think it got a bit buried, but did we ever confirm those upgrades?
>>
>>5244044
solved wot exactly
>>
>>5244045
/obviously/, one of these results is the REAL answer. I'm a genius. I'm particularly partial to rtvddtoaght, but I think we ill edratebr is a contender.....

Yeah I have no idea what the fuck the code is. But I expect we'll find a decryption key soon.
>>
>>5244049
Wasted an hour on this shit, not gonna waste any more time.
>>5244041
QM if you dropped us some custom puzzle or unusual encryption combo and expect someone to solve it, then you need to dial it the fuck down.
>>
>>5244044
non
>>
In the next thread, it would be nice if we have to solve non-Euclidian equations to navigate our spaceship through the Warp, and where communication with the central computer is done through quantum algorithms. That would encourage collaboration between the players, I think.
>>
Apologies navigators! My own navigation has failed! I will not be returning home from uni until 11:00 pm GMT. Four hours later than expected. Which means I will not be able to update the map and graph nor reveal any more map. Everything queue-able will be executed asap when I do get home though. I know you are eager to see the new pieces of the map and get headed to an objective. Which is exciting for me too! I am happy y'all are engaged. some updates:

I'm thinking 10% might be the minimum error for the evil type of fun. Because there's not a lot of danger if you can move with perfect precision. Let me know what you think. Also from now on, as some of you are starting to maintain your own maps, for that reason, when you do the mapping function it will not be highlighted in blue (but it will be outlined), nor will it show coordinates, I leave that as an excercise. but i will upload a render of the map as you currently have it, with the full grid overlayed.

If you want to match styles then for all text I am using comic sans with no anti aliasing, but I don't remember the pt. probably between 1 and 4, if you are using photoshop to keep track, it also has a 2px black outline. (im using the font in the context it was designed for, do not @ me). easiest way to stitch new data in Ps is magic eraser the black away, line up the grid, and merge. Also, for color guide, green is for path and current location, red is for grid and reference location, white is for objective names and locations. blue is for map/navigation. use the eyedropper tool.

Status will still return the typical printout, seen here >>5243557 so if someone doesn't like the math but might be interested in the cartography, stitching the status updates and map functions is a way you could help other players.

Once you repair below 25% error moves will not need confirmation, as before.

There was an anon concerned about complexity of upgrades to new readers. To be clear, the upgrades are passive (except precision) and therefore have no downside or anything extra to keep track of. I intend next thread (if there is one) to have an anchor post with information on how to play. I intend also to make a webm for illustration purposes so that the learning curve isnt so bad.

if you feel like it, put a first name in for the thread, like devon, or sabrina. you may want t do this so that i can identify people easier. I am not used to IDs.

small clarification on the submarine. the location of the submarine is a single pixel, when i execute a movement i calculate the new location to a precision of 0.1, find it in the map, and draw a straight line that is one pixel thick and not aliased. if that line intersects any rocks, a crash occurs. i back the submarine up approx one unit away from the rock it hit and snap it to the nearest whole unit location. once i have the whole unit location i calculate the actual distance it traveled.
>>
>>5244128
>QM if you dropped us some custom puzzle or unusual encryption combo and expect someone to solve it, then you need to dial it the fuck down.
I expect it to be very very hard to solve without finding the source of the radio signal. But it is real. And uses cryptographic techniques that have existed prior to this quest. Hints are on the way!

>>5244044
3 repairs, proximity override and precision selector seem to be the vote. But I might be lost in the sauce. Imo proximity override is overpowered, and I should have made it a 1/4 to NOT take damage. Oh well, the bones have been cast.
>>
>>5244266
Yeah, don't mind him being mad about it. We'll probably start getting it once hints flow in. 10% minimum sounds fair, like that one anon said, because it would be a walking simulator otherwise. And I personally have no problem with you inverting Proximity override, as long as you let us re-vote on whether to buy an inverted one.

I'll start adding a name like you suggested.
>>
A side effect of using names will probably help phone posters.

As for the minimum error, I mean, as a person who got hit with the full brunt of it, I'm against it. However, that's more of a mad cause bad situation.

In terms of Proximity Override it is very good so if it needs nerfing, so be it.

So is it impossible to reduce it by repairing? Since repairing now would theoretically put us at 5% which would below the 10% threshold.

Is it if the error factor from damage is below the threshold then we get a hit without having to worry about it affecting our systems?

If 10% is the minimum would that mean that Course Correction would effectively do nothing then?
>>
>>5244291
Course correction would become the only way to have 0% error, and would require a min 2 movement when at 10% to reduce it to no error. another side effect of course correction is that, because error is reduced per move, even one move, you effectively have 5% less error, period. I designed course correction to encourage multiple/blind moves.

If I make the error min 10% you would not be able to waste scrap repairing. And by min error I mean min error rate. The error is still a range that is center weighted, i.e. the "average" is still accurate. The distribution is (4d6-14)*[error rate]. I roll the dice in real life, trust me :°) the worst roll so far has been a -8° for angle, which is when you crashed and then I deleted the post, because I added 8° instead of -8° but you crashed during the next move anyway, due to the -8° error earlier lol.
>>
>>5244325

Sick totes voting for Course Correction then.

Course correction and Proximity are my votes for the upgrades.

That -8 stills stings hahaha.